Home U.S. Coin Forum

1920D/D FS-502 buffalo share

Hello, wanted to share my latest buy, coin is on the way to be delivered yet I managed to analyze it on listing pictures well enough to see the correct mint mark position. Secondary mint mark is south, a bit ‘tired’ due to coin wear yet it’s there. Distance from rim can’t be measured as rim on my coin is flattened so a lot wider. Example on the left is variety vista FS-502, my coin on the right. I printed it and drew few lines to support my research. Seems it’s gonna be the third one graded by PCGS.

Comments

• Nice find!!!

• Sure looks like it, good eye!

• @thecoinjunkie thank you, thought it is impossible to find this one yet seems I proved myself wrong:)

• @constitutional_halve said:
    Nice find!!!

Thank you sir!👍

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats. Nice find.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will you take photos when you get it? I don't think it is the variety. I have been hunting this variety for over 20 years and have seen many low grade examples exactly like yours. The D is a different style totally. The FS-502 "D" is a slim profile mintmark. The one you bought is very much thicker and I don't attribute it to wear. I have looked at or examined well over a 1000 1920-D Buffs over the years. I hope I am wrong but I have been down this path many, many times over the last 20 years. Just my experience and two cents. Best of luck to you. It's one of the toughest RPM's in the series.

• @Manorcourtman said:
    Will you take photos when you get it? I don't think it is the variety. I have been hunting this variety for over 20 years and have seen many low grade examples exactly like yours. The D is a different style totally. The FS-502 "D" is a slim profile mintmark. The one you bought is very much thicker and I don't attribute it to wear. I have looked at or examined well over a 1000 1920-D Buffs over the years. I hope I am wrong but I have been down this path many, many times over the last 20 years. Just my experience and two cents. Best of luck to you. It's one of the toughest RPM's in the series.

Hello, sure I can’t either agree or disagree with you at the moment and I know and seen how many varieties you have found and can imagine Your experience is with no doubt stronger than mine. Mint mark style can be related to wear that is for sure as is the rim and wider lettering. There are many arguments for yes as well as for no on this coin. My two main things are: position of the mint mark fits the variety and we both know that so far there hasn’t been a case when two different dies had mint mark at the same place and also somehow hard to believe that accidentally coin with same position of the mm has something south that well could be secondary mint mark. Yet there are arguments for NO as well such as any known examples of the variety were EDS this coin is either MDS or LDS. Sure more arguments for NO exist. I will share scope pics once it’s delivered yet I don’t think they can bring much to the conversation. Guess I will leave it to PCGS to decide on attribution and if it fails I will somehow swallow lost 70$ for their fees.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

The position seems right but @Manorcourtman could be right.

Don't count your chickens until they are holdered. Good luck and I hope that you scored.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • @sellitstore said:
    The position seems right but @Manorcourtman could be right.

Don't count your chickens until they are holdered. Good luck and I hope that you scored.

@sellitstore absolutely, I may have scored or wasted money. Part of the game.
    Agree with chickens thing yet I couldn’t wait on that one ;)
    Thank you👍

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file