Home U.S. Coin Forum

Tampa GACC Show Report, Wed-Fri

2»

Comments

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

@POCKETCHANGE:

Why did you lug around the 10 coins for three days before submitting them to CACG and CMG ?
    Had you missed submitting them to CMG and/or CACG you would have felt pretty stupid?
    Always submit them on the first day!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    ‘’Sadly, public attendance seemed very low and dealers were unsatisfied given the lack of retail business.’’

I wonder if the $38 admission fee had anything to do with that? You convince the wife to go and you spend $76 (plus parking?) to get in (if I read your story right). Ouch.

Wondercoin

Edited to add..

‘’The Tampa show was a wild success! Dealer attendance was through the roof!’’

Is that the measure of success these days?

I would add to your comment as follows:

“The Tampa show was a wild success! While dealer attendance was abysmal, the public attendance was through the roof and the dealers who did attend were thrilled! “

Alternative reality?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • 1madman1madman Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@giantsfan20 said:
    Also any word on the much hyped Nashville show is that one and done and did the promotors make any comments regarding it?

Directly from the horses mouth: the Nashville show is an active ongoing show that will take place every 2 years

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oreville- you may recall that from around 2002-2004, I attended nearly every major show and “tried my hand” at the “upgrade game”. I met some superstar graders in that timeframe (some still at it today) and learned much about classic and modern coins, including the “upgrade game”. I have the greatest respect for the dealers who go the distance to appear at all of these shows and try to make an honest living as a professional numismatist! It is tough and one needs to make a major commitment to coins to often put work first and family and friends second, especially on holidays like Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc.

Ditto for the collectors that used to travel to every show to pursue great coins for their coin collections!

I personally agree that when we have “splintered” shows where collectors and dealers are often forced to make a choice between attending one show or the other, that is not the optimal situation for collector attendance (or even dealer attendance) at these events. If dealers are satisfied with “wholesale” business at these great shows, that’s great for them. I, personally, prefer spending time with family and friends and doing my wholesale business online at venues like CCE. There is seldom a shortage of coins to buy or sell on these online venues. And, life is short, for attending any shows that are not literally “world-class” events for both the collectors and dealers. Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    OK, I understand the retail public attendance was lousy, possibly partly due to the $15 admission fee and $15 parking. Separately, I read in advance from the promoters there would be about 700 dealers at 500 tables (not potentially, but the implication those were actual numbers). I heard a rumor Wednesday that the actual numbers were only around 1/3 of those. Which set of numbers was closer to reality?

Steve

I was there on Wednesday and the rumor you heard was a good estimate of actual fact. There were enough quality dealers and grading services there to make it worthwhile, in my opinion, but I feel for anyone who put a lot of travel time and money into attending because they were expecting 700 dealers.

The advance publicity made it seem like it was going to be a robust sort of 'mini-FUN' and it was not.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    No doubt collectors love very low attendance. As it’s been said, plenty of time to spend with dealers, learn by picking their brains, no waits to see their coins. For me personally, with what I collect, a show the size of Summer FUN or this Tampa show, one day is enough to browse all of the coins of interest, talk with a bunch of dealers, as well as chatting with numismatic friends. However, I learned this past January at Winter FUN that trying to accomplish what I want in one day is impossible. Going forward, Winter FUN is two days for me.

That’s my point with this Tampa show. Had I given up an extra day, drove nine hours round trip, spent money for an overnight, and then finished EVERYTHING the first day, I would have been disappointed.

Steve

Understood Steve, hopefully youre able to make it to Fort Lauderdale though! I really want that show to succeed being that its in our back yard!

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I plan on being there the first public day. If for some reason I get convinced that there will be a lot more than 250 dealers, I’ll then stay overnight for a second day.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭

I was under the impression that the bulk of dealer buying-and-selling and presumably profits -- 80% ?? -- was done dealer-to-dealer and usually before the official start of these shows.

Not the case ?

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldFinger1969 said:
    I was under the impression that the bulk of dealer buying-and-selling and presumably profits -- 80% ?? -- was done dealer-to-dealer and usually before the official start of these shows.

Not the case ?

Yes and no. It really depends what type of dealer. A dealer who has a lot of sub $1000 inventory is aiming to do higher volume, and can probably find a lot of material in the trading room on dealer day. Some shows have an entire day for D2D trading, and often times it’s in one of the banquet rooms in the convention center. Other shows have half a day allocated, and you have some time to trade but you also have to get set up.

When it’s in the trading rooms, you’re sifting through double row boxes one after another. A lot of the higher end coins never make it to those double row boxes, and as a result I don’t stress if I can’t make it to the trading room. The dealers with whom I do the most business also are unlikely to be found there. I end up buying more during the length of the show, whether I’m scouting cases or the when the youngn’s come find me at my table when they buy something nice. At a show like Tampa, buyers may have a bit more leverage at the end of the show. Dealers haven’t made very many sales at all, and they might be eager to make a deal to help cover expenses even if the profit margin isn’t what they had originally expected.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• foodudefoodude Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭

The organizers of last week’s Great American Coin and Collectibles Show held last week in Tampa would appreciate any input about the show, especially from those that actually attended the show. It is most helpful to send input directly.

If you are a collector, please send your input to collectorinput@gmail.com.

If you are a dealer, please send your input to dealerinput@gmail.com. Further, if you are a dealer, it is particularly helpful to describe your business model and its reliance on Public at a show. For example, is your business model wholesale dealer-to-dealer, retail to Public, or a combination of both? If the latter, what are the approximate percentages of each? Also, do shows in various locations offer you opportunities to meet in person with key clients?

Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file