Home U.S. Coin Forum

Capped Bust Half Dime Attribution Challenge - September 2024

BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it: to identify the Logan-McCloskey (LM) variety for this 1830 half dime. 1830 is the same year I did back in August but this one spoke to me. (Sadly, the coin is sold, so you can't go buy it. The seller graded it "AG - SOME DAMAGE.") Next month, I'll pick an 1829, or one from 1831-1837.

A die marriage is a unique pairing of one obverse die with one reverse die. Note that half dimes have documented die REmarriages - which is when those dies are reused after one of them was paired with a different mate for a period of time. Marriages are identified by LM-n where n is the marriage identifier (e.g., LM-3). If the dies were separated and then remarried, this adds a decimal number: "LM-n.y" shows the number of the remarriage in the y position (e.g., LM-10.4).

How to attribute? The Logan-McCloskey book "Federal Half Dimes 1792-1837" is authoritative. Or, you can use EverythingHalfDimes.com. Some folks have their own tools or cheatsheets.

Good luck. This tape will self-destruct in five seconds.

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

Comments

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to guess LM-12 with obv.4 and rev.J.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where's my center dot and 1 dot? lol
    LM-6, Obv 3, Rev J
    Nice.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • epcepc Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2024 4:04PM

Looks like LM-6 to me. It's obviously Rev J. Star 1 is close to the bust, making it Obv 3 (unlike the three other dies paired with Rev J).

With the discussion of remarriages, I hope you're not going to say it's an LM-4.y. The star positions don't match that.

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also LM-6 here

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2024 5:36PM

The position of S13 pointing to center of bust curl was most influential to my obv 3 rev J selection as of the 4 obverses paired with Rev J its tbe only S13 pointing to center of curl, which with the circulation damage, it is the easiest to discern. Great attribution post, @Bikergeek
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2024 7:56PM

I'm seeing S2S 4, SB ~3, SE 4 or 4.5, R I apart, T1 not high, so Reverse J.
    The chart mostly discusses S6 and S7, but S6 is not visible, so I can't determine the obverse without my L-M book, which is in another state.... In October it will be at hand.

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 357 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm agreeing with those who said LM-6, a Rarity-4 marriage. (I have to remember to be humble here as I still get attributions wrong sometimes!) As @yosclimber mentions, Star 6 is important here - and I loved this coin because S6 is obliterated! But as @jesbroken mentions, the "dotted date" appears on Obverse 3 for this year. I can't really see the tiny dot before the 1 of the date - but the center dot that accompanies it is prominent (just below the ear, in what would be the center of this coin if it were in fact round. heheh.) Other visible pickup points align with Obverse 3 as well.

And as @epc says, it's obviously reverse J, which has pretty unique Scroll Begin and Scroll End positions among the reverses employed in 1830. Below see my little (reverse-engineered) graphic from the LM book to show how J is alone by starting under the T in UNITED and finishing right at the middle of M in AMERICA. Nobody took the bait about the possibility of a remarriage. (Which definitely makes me think I'll do a remarriage in October.)

Thanks for playing!

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:
    I'm going to guess LM-12 with obv.4 and rev.J.

At least I got the reverse right......

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my thought process, if it helps anyone: Star 3 pointing directly at a dentil was the obverse giveaway for me. My favorite way to attribute reverses is to look at the position of letters in STATES OF in comparison to letters in the scroll below. For this one it was the 2nd S in STATES centered over space in the motto.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file