Home Sports Talk

I was UNDERWHELMED with Tom Terrifics commentary during the Dallas/Browns game

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

comments?

He's worth north of $300m, got a killer yacht, youth, looks, it goes on and on. Why would he lock himself into a football announcing thing? Surely it can't be the $$.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought he did ok, as to. why he is doing that? he is under 50, I'm sure he wants to still get some air time and from what I've always been under the impression is he loves his money.

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭

Gets some inside info on the bookie action.

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭

I didn’t catch it yet. What were the issues? I expect it takes a while to get used to speaking almost constantly while not making it seem like an episode of House Hunters…. “It has doors and the doors have handles!”

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought he did just fine for his first time on air. He'll more than likely get better as he calls more games.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

He's pretty young to just play golf and live the life of leisure. This is a new challenge for him and I'm sure he will work hard at improving each week.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

I felt he did well. Not overbearing. He was there, but not there. And I like that in an announcer.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • @erikthredd said:
    I thought he did just fine for his first time on air. He'll more than likely get better as he calls more games.

When Carol O’Connor did his first season of Archie Bunker he seemed nervous and rushed. He slowly perfected his delivery over time.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Autophagy said:

@erikthredd said:

When Carol O’Connor did his first season of Archie Bunker he seemed nervous and rushed. He slowly perfected his delivery over time.

Wow. You’re showing your age. Well done.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    comments?

He's worth north of $300m, got a killer yacht, youth, looks, it goes on and on. Why would he lock himself into a football announcing thing? Surely it can't be the $$.

can we put you down as a Tony Romo fan then?

I liked it

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s only so many colors he can invent. He was so generous giving us Brady Blue but it was time to move on the world needed him elsewhere.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't catch the broadcast yesterday. Can anyone explain what was underwhelming about tommys commentary?

on a side note, I think that he was probably nervous the first time out. its like he is starting from never having played quarterback to being thrust onto an NFL roster in one off season.

I know how he prepared for playing QB in the NFL. I am sure he is preparing at a similar pace. no doubt there will be growing pains along the way. He is a rookie again.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:
    comments?

I liked it

Yes

@craig44 said:
    I didn't catch the broadcast yesterday. Can anyone explain what was underwhelming about tommys commentary?

on a side note, I think that he was probably nervous the first time out. its like he is starting from never having played quarterback to being thrust onto an NFL roster in one off season.

I know how he prepared for playing QB in the NFL. I am sure he is preparing at a similar pace. no doubt there will be growing pains along the way. He is a rookie again.

He sounded like an AI robot. No emotions. Spock basically.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭✭✭

i caught it and he was conspicuously nervous starting out. it was painful, mundane commentary there for a while. to be expected, and frankly it was refreshing seeing some human out of the goat. then he settled in as the game went along.

he'll be good in due time

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

@Autophagy said:

@erikthredd said:

Funny story, my mother shared a cab with him in Atlantic City once. She went around telling everyone after and even got him to autograph a napkin lol.

@Darin said:

@craig44 said:

He sounded like an AI robot. No emotions. Spock basically.

gotcha. well, he will either settle in and find his voice, or do like drew brees and just not. will be interesting to see how it all works out. I would imagine the network will do whatever they can to make it work out as their investment is large.

@MCMLVTopps said:

@bronco2078 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:
    comments?

I liked it

Yes

are you kidding? Romo is the worst hack in the booth :D

• MistlinMistlin Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    comments?

Attention.

Brady has always been an egomaniac.

I do not have time for ignorant trolls.
    ignore list: 1948_Swell_Robinson, Darin, bgr, bronco2078, dallasactuary

• Feeling it for Burkhardt, it'll take some time. He and Greg Olson had a great rapport and got split up. They knew it would happen. It'll be an adjustment for everyone including their audience.

My Dad can beat up your Dad.

• @bronco2078 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@bronco2078 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:
    comments?

I liked it

Yes

Like listening to your know-it-all uncle splaining everything football at the bar at the top of his voice over a drunken mob. :D

• estangestang Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭

First, I'm not sure TV ratings is something that is legitmately tracked.

Second, I doubt that more people are going to tune-in to a game to watch Tom Brady call a game.

Third, I didn't pay much attention to who was calling what game. From what I heard, he was not as good as Romo or Collinsworth or Aikman or Olson.

Last, I thought the announcers on Peacock and the overall broadcast was substandard on Friday night. The halftime show of Chris Sims (his wardrobe/haircut is awful) and two other nobodies was terrible. If we didn't get Peacock for free via another subscription, why would anyone look at that broadcast and pay $8/month?

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik

Collinsworth forgot the overtime rules. He wanted Detroit to go down and kick a field goal for the win.
    Tirico had to set him straight. Of course they gloss over it as though it was perfectly normal for a so called expert analyst to make that mistake.

• @Darin said:
    Collinsworth forgot the overtime rules. He wanted Detroit to go down and kick a field goal for the win.
    Tirico had to set him straight. Of course they gloss over it as though it was perfectly normal for a so called expert analyst to make that mistake.

I think many are confused because there are different OT rules for playoffs and Super Bowl. I thought each team was supposed to get a possession last night. My bad. So L.A. lost due to a coin flip and Detroit winning drive. Bleh!

@bronco2078 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@bronco2078 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:
    comments?

I liked it

Yes

I just love how Romo manages to add the GRRR sound to every other word like he just mainlined some caffeine before going on air. It just took awhile to realize that's just how he talks lol.

@bronco2078 said:

Kinda harsh on the ole Romo, no? The GRRR is what makes the Tony, Tony. Laid back, kinda guy you'd like to have a beer with. Lighten up on the guy, he isn't that bad. I enjoy his commentary, must admit, at first not so much, but he kinda grew on me. At least he can finish a sentence! B)

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady will be just fine. Over the years, I've been involved in various repetitive sales and marketing presentations whereby you button down the basic approach, and then tailor it to the specific audience, even a specific person.

Brady will get the basic format presentation buttoned down. Then tailor it to the specific teams playing and events occurring on the field. I believe he will windup doing quite well.

Tony Romo grew on all of us but even he took time before he finally settled in. Expecting instant gratification from Brady after his first attempt at calling a game just seems like someone's looking for a reason to just bash the guy.

OMG Talking about Tony Romo, I liked him out of the gate but then he grew on me to not being able to stand him

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2024 7:53PM

@ElMagoStrikeZone said:
    I thought each team was supposed to get a possession last night.

They do unless the first drive ends in a touchdown or safety or time expires.

@perkdog said:
    OMG Talking about Tony Romo, I liked him out of the gate but then he grew on me to not being able to stand him

he is terrible. Reminds of derek sanderson

Ok all you Romo haters...got some bad news. Romo is announcing the KC game, so you'll have to use your mute button to enjoy the game. You could of course not watch the game, but then you wouldn't be able to get your Swifty fix. B)

do people actually tune in or not tune into games due to who is calling/analyzing the game?

I can honestly say I have not. if it is a game i want to watch, I just watch it. I generally can enjoy whoever is calling the game.

@craig44 said:
    do people actually tune in or not tune into games due to who is calling/analyzing the game?

I can honestly say I have not. if it is a game i want to watch, I just watch it. I generally can enjoy whoever is calling the game.

Some will for their local team, turn off the TV sound, and turn on the radio to hear the game from their local broadcast crew who they may like better. I tried doing that a few times some years ago, and it just didn't work well for various reasons. Of course the "radio" is usually available on the computer.

Frankly, these days I often enjoy more just listening to the game with no video, while doing other things. For example I can get work done or other things on the computer, while listening to the game on the computer. In my view a win-win.

Thank you Alan Turing. 😊

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

Some will for their local team, turn off the TV sound, and turn on the radio to hear the game from their local broadcast crew who they may like better. I tried doing that a few times some years ago, and it just didn't work well for various reasons. Of course the "radio" is usually available on the computer.

Frankly, these days I often enjoy more just listening to the game with no video, while doing other things. For example I can get work done or other things on the computer, while listening to the game on the computer. In my view a win-win.

Thank you Alan Turing. 😊

I have found the same thing, but with baseball. I would just as soon listen as watch. It is so relaxing to recline back in a chair, close my eyes and just listen.

I cant do the same with football. for some reason i dont enjoy it as much when just listening. perhaps I cannot visualize it as much? I also like to watch the plays unfold and see if i can guess what is going to happen based on the way the lines are moving and if any recievers are getting early seperation.

edited September 10, 2024 8:19AM

@craig44 said:

I'm with you, I actually have a fun time with my buddies ragging on some of the announcing, it's good humor.

Romo and Collinsworth get the burnt of it lol

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

Thank you Alan Turing. 😊

I have found the same thing, but with baseball. I would just as soon listen as watch. It is so relaxing to recline back in a chair, close my eyes and just listen.

I cant do the same with football. for some reason i dont enjoy it as much when just listening. perhaps I cannot visualize it as much? I also like to watch the plays unfold and see if i can guess what is going to happen based on the way the lines are moving and if any recievers are getting early seperation.

Yea for sure, football is visually much more interesting than baseball. Frankly, I can't even recall the last time I watched a baseball game. Perhaps if it was the 7th game of the WS with the Phillies, I'd watch it.

I think there are a fair number of commentators that over analyze each and every play. Sometimes I wish they'd just stay quiet on a few plays and let us listen to the crowd. I've muted a few games when it just got to be too much.

When Youkilis began announcing for the Red Sox, he habitually kept saying "right there" as in "that was a nice play right there", or "he really hit the ball hard right there"...Irritating to say the least.

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

I'm with you, I actually have a fun time with my buddies ragging on some of the announcing, it's good humor.

You could have made a drinking game out of John Gruden's "This Guy" back in the day.

• @erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

You could have made a drinking game out of John Gruden's "This Guy" back in the day.

Except we were too perpetually wasted from drinking every time John Madden said "BOOM!" ;)

edited September 10, 2024 10:04AM

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

A better one would be based on Dan Dierdorf and how many times he would say "IN THIS LEAGUE"

I was always like yeah Dan we know your talking about the NFL!!

It used to drive me crazy lol

@stevek said:

@craig44 said:

Thank you Alan Turing. 😊

it will not work for Pats fans. The radio is delayed . I dont think Zolak even travels they just have the radio drones watch a TV in the basement at their own house and call that

@MCMLVTopps said:
    I think there are a fair number of commentators that over analyze each and every play. Sometimes I wish they'd just stay quiet on a few plays and let us listen to the crowd. I've muted a few games when it just got to be too much.

When Youkilis began announcing for the Red Sox, he habitually kept saying "right there" as in "that was a nice play right there", or "he really hit the ball hard right there"...Irritating to say the least.

The Bruins lost me at Fred and John. Red sox and bruins announcers are such homers its ridiculous.
    I couldnt stand johnny Most refused to subject myself to that tool bag

Well, I left Lowell at the age of 18, so I had little Bruins exposure. I do clearly remember Curt Gowdy as the Red Sox announcer with his "hi neighbor have a Gansett", I thought he was really good. The weatherman on ch 4 (?) was Don Kent. Not sure if you're in the era, but I do agree, some announcers are really strange and unbearable to listen to. Didn't Johnny Most have that deep gravely voice?
    I'll throw Gadabout Gaddis in the mix, the flying fisherman.

you left during the cusack pierson era , with the chief doing the radio ? after pierson left they hired up addle pated derek sanderson as the color guy :s

don kent left in the 80's i think but was on tv in nh for a bit

most was the biggest homer in sports history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu8Da3pe9h0

I grew up with Joe castiglione and Jerry trupiano calling Sox games on the Radio. I loved those 2 together. my favorite of all time.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried watching baseball with the sound off and the radio coverage on. The time delay between the 2 was just too annoying to put up with that setup.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

I do it when Uecker is calling the game on the radio. It is a bit of a pain to pause/play the tv to sync it, but it’s worth it.

Tom B
    Tony A+

@bgr said:
    I do it when Uecker is calling the game on the radio. It is a bit of a pain to pause/play the tv to sync it, but it’s worth it.

we aint watchin mr belvedere in 2024 bro

@bronco2078 said:

@bgr said:

we aint watchin mr belvedere in 2024 bro

Don’t tell me; let me guess.