Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Cleaned or Not, 1889 Prussia Zwanzig Mark

This coin is very special to me, as it came from my great grandfather when he returned from ww2 (don’t ask me how he got his hands on gold from an obsolete monetary system, I don’t know). There were a couple German silver coins with it that are obviously cleaned, but I am not an expert on gold at all. To me it looks like it has never been cleaned, as I do see any parallel hairlines. I would like to see your opinions on whether it has been cleaned or not, and I took pictures with the light at multiple angles to show any hairlines. The first picture of the obverse and reverse respectively are the normal way that I would shoot the photo. Thanks in advance!

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

Comments

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2024 7:52AM

Also my pictures make all the small hits stand out and are a bit overexposed. It also appears to be about an AU 55 or 58 to my eyes.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• TypekatTypekat Posts: 354 ✭✭✭✭

A family heirloom, a sharp coin, lustre at the peripheries - super!

It’s hard to tell if it was cleaned anytime in 136 years - does it really matter?

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

@Typekat said:
    A family heirloom, a sharp coin, lustre at the peripheries - super!

It’s hard to tell if it was cleaned anytime in 136 years - does it really matter?

The only reason it matters to me is that I considered having it graded with his last name on the holder. I have never sent in a coin to be graded, and didn't want to waste my money if it was almost sure to detail.

I am planning on showing the coin to @PeakRarities in person at the upcoming Tampa show, and going from there.

If I do end up submitting it, I would probably include a few other coins that I have sitting around to maximize the shipping cost savings.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice special coin. <3

• YouYou Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2024 7:44PM

Yes, it certainly has been at the very least treated with chemicals, and possibly wiped. Whether too cleaned for a straight grade is uncertain from the photos, but I err on the side of it being passable as about an XF45. That being said, this is not a coin that would be worth grading in this condition, whether it goes details or not.

@You said:
    Yes, it certainly has been at the very least treated with chemicals, and possibly wiped. Whether too cleaned for a straight grade is uncertain from the photos, but I err on the side of it being passable as about an XF45. That being said, this is not a coin that would be worth grading in this condition, whether it goes details or not.

I don't care if it is worth grading, I just don't want a detail holder.

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have a very nice coin with an interesting story behind it.

Let us know what you decide to do.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    You have a very nice coin with an interesting story behind it.

Let us know what you decide to do.

I am planning on showing it to Dan at the show, and then going from there.

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are more of them out there:

Germany Prussia 20 Marks 1901

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television