Home U.S. Coin Forum

Any info about these newer US pennies?

AMrsWazfo1AMrsWazfo1 Posts: 5
edited September 2, 2024 4:15PM in U.S. Coin Forum

So I have a couple pennies that are 200th anniversary pennies. I use a coin scanning app and no info really there either whether they're worth anything. I've never seen them before.And neither has my almost seventy year old mother, so got me a little curious about them. Sorry that they are sideways, but I left them just how they were on the app. Instead of flipping them around.

Tagged:

Comments

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum.

Common coins with a more recent reverse.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum.
    It might help if you were to make your thread title a lot more specific - as in ask your question there.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Noted. Sorry I'm a newbie here and still learning how this all works. I apologize.

@AMrsWazfo1 said:
    Noted. Sorry I'm a newbie here and still learning how this all works. I apologize.

No need to apologize and plenty of non-newbies do the same.
    I don’t think those coins have any extra value.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Thank you very much. I think I'll still stick them away at least until they show up in my area more often. Quick question, foreign coin questions go in the world currency forum? I'm just trying to get some correct info about what I have. Thank you in advance.

@AMrsWazfo1 said:
    Thank you very much. I think I'll still stick them away at least until they show up in my area more often. Quick question, foreign coin questions go in the world currency forum? I'm just trying to get some correct info about what I have. Thank you in advance.

You’re welcome.

For foreign coin questions, use the World & Ancient Coins Forum linked below (not US & World Currency Forum)
    https://forums.collectors.com/categories/world-ancient-coins-forum

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭

World coin forum.
    https://forums.collectors.com/categories/world-ancient-coins-forum

Currency is the paper money.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2024 4:39PM

@AMrsWazfo1 said:
    Thank you very much. I think I'll still stick them away at least until they show up in my area more often. Quick question, foreign coin questions go in the world currency forum? I'm just trying to get some correct info about what I have. Thank you in advance.

Not in the world currency forum but in the world coinage forum.

In answer to your original question, in 2009 the mint decided to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Lincoln cent by minting coin in that year with four different reverses. The four different reverse designs were meant to celebrate the four phases of Lincoln's life. The log cabin rev you have is for the birthplace and early childhood years. The other coin you have with Lincoln sitting on a log represents his formative years. The two additional rev designs are for his professional years and then for his presidency. If you google 2009 cent designs you should find lots of information, this information is also available in the red book which is an excellent reference for anyone interested in coins.

These were produced at lower production levels than previous years and many were sold directly to collectors in sets and rolls, which is why you do not see as many in circulation. As your coins are circulated, they don't have any real value over the face value but if you like them keep them, that is what coin collecting is about.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome! They’re a new reverse design (back in 2009) commemorating 100 years of the Lincoln cent & 200 years of Lincoln’s birth year. You have 2 of the 4 reverse designs. They were only minted that year.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭✭

2009 was the 200th anniversary of Lincoln's birth, and the 100th anniversary of when the Lincoln cent was 1st issued in 1909. By the way, the US does not have pennies, it has cents, even though most everyone calls them pennies.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins you show are very common as they were widely hoarded at the time of issue. Any found in change are just going to be worth face value.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Not some common in my change from around where I'm at. I pay close attention to all coins and these are the first ones I've seen. Thank you everyone for all ur comments!

• CregCreg Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

• PizzamanPizzaman Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

@AMrsWazfo1 said:
    Not some common in my change from around where I'm at. I pay close attention to all coins and these are the first ones I've seen. Thank you everyone for all ur comments!

They're neat. As shown, above, you've two of the four. Welcome!

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most everyone has original rolls of the them put away.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file