Home U.S. Coin Forum

I apologize about this being Off Topic, but my The Penny Lady® Facebook Account was hacked/disabled

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2, 2024 9:44AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm so sorry to create a thread here about this but couldn't think of anywhere else to inform folks about this. Since I post my show reports on this forum as well as on Facebook, and I have developed a lot of coin "friends" both here and on Facebook, I thought I could let everyone know that last week my Charmy Harker and The Penny Lady® Facebook accounts were hacked and disabled. But now I cannot (so far) get them back. Facebook has NEVER responded to any of my attempts to get my account re-activated, and let me tell you, this has been a huge mess, as I've had these pages for 17 years and now I have to start from scratch. Once I finally got the hacked pages deleted (they were taken over by someone else but not actually used), I could create new pages using the same names. I wanted to also inform you folks that I will be sending out new "friend" requests from the REAL Charmy Harker and The Penny Lady® starting TODAY and hope you will accept. Again, I sincerely apologize for having to post this here.

Charmy Harker
The Penny Lady®

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did receive a friend request on Facebook but since we were already friends I assumed it was a hack.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew that would happen (I would think the same thing!), so that's why I thought I'd post here about it.

Charmy Harker
    The Penny Lady®
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just went and accepted it. Please confirm here.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThePennyLady you should post some of your inventory on the BST here. You might do well.
    Sorry to hear about the hack. Seems inevitable for all of us.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo SurfinxHI greencopper RWW

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

So sorry!

My facebook account outside of my cellphone was changed to all in French. FB did not help me at all. So I understand what you going through.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

No need to apologize as it’s definitely related to your coin business. I hope you are doing OK as I tend to take these “attacks” personally. Look forward to seeing you at the show Thursday.

Tim

• PizzamanPizzaman Posts: 272 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2024 11:14AM

I know CoinTalk was hacked recently, but then they're a coin forum, not a coin dealership. I still can't understand why anybody would want to hack a coin forum, but, even less so, as here, a coin dealer website. Don't get this wrong, but I can understand their wanting to rob coin dealers, I can't understand the benefit derived by hacking the dealer websites. If it's just to kill time it's still pretty much an enormous enterprise for no ROI. Perhaps I'm a little naive, but I'd just never heard of this happening to coin dealer websites. That said, I of course hope you recover, get it back on track.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bummer, all the best to you. This to shall pass 😌

My website was NOT hacked, it was my Facebook pages (my Charmy Harker page and The Penny Lady page which is connected to my Charmy Harker page).

This is a link to my new Charmy Harker page: https://facebook.com/profile.php?id=61565317050415

And my new The Penny Lady page: https://facebook.com/profile.php?id=61565369789459

Charmy Harker
    The Penny Lady®
  • AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

@Pizzaman said:
    I. Perhaps I'm a little naive, but I'd just never heard of this happening to coin dealer websites. That said, I of course hope you recover, get it back on track.

There are automated bots running all the time that will hack whatever they can get into. Also dont know how it was hacked but a deceased friend of mine Facebook account was hacked and the message from the "Great Beyond" was to be sure to contact "Federal Agent Franklin" of the "US government" to apply for a government program giving away free money- actually a try for some form of Identity/bank account theft. After repeated reports to facebook, they eventually shut the account down.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

What can a hacker get from a FaceBook account?
    I have no banking or vital info associated with my account that I know of?
    So what is the point?

GrandAm :)

@ThePennyLady said:
    My website was NOT hacked, it was my Facebook pages (my Charmy Harker page and The Penny Lady page which is connected to my Charmy Harker page).

Apologize for the misstatement. A Facebook page is an easier hack than a TikTok page, from what I understand.

• knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2024 12:22PM

Facebook is a strange place indeed. Several years ago I decided to change my profile birthday (which was actually hidden and not available for anyone to see). I changed it to May of 2020. As soon as I hit ‘enter’ it immediately blocked me from my FB and Messenger accounts saying I was under 13 years old and underage. A message came up and told me if I thought it was in error to submit a government issued photo ID and they would review it. I was 62 at the time. All my photos were of airplanes, my family, and places I had gone….and were all lost as FB somehow determined (quite wrongly I might add) that I was underage . It took me almost two years before I was able to get back on again with an old Compuserve address….and I had start all over again. Sorry this nonsense happened to you. Good luck getting it taken care of!

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugh. I wish you well. I have no idea if your FB password was similar to anything else you use, but I always tell folks to make unique passwords in the event that something gets hacked. Again, good luck.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Ugh. I wish you well. I have no idea if your FB password was similar to anything else you use, but I always tell folks to make unique passwords in the event that something gets hacked. Again, good luck.

and quite possibly the email associatd with the account was also compromised

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

do this too - https://www.facebook.com/help/148233965247823

the security people i know say an authentication app is better than a text

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

I spent the past 4 days in a continuous loop with FB trying to get my disabled pages back, trying to appeal, trying to contact a human, reading how to fix this on google and other search engines, reading all of FB's rules, procedures, etc., emailing whoever google said to email, calling any number posted on google, ALL TO NO AVAIL WHATSOEVER. The only thing that worked was "reporting" my old Charmy Harker pages from my husband's account - those pages were taken over by someone else and even had a photo of me - which they finally removed. I also filed an intellectual property complaint against the "new" owners of the two The Penny Lady pages the hackers set up (which had my logo and my own picture) since I owned the trademark to "The Penny Lady" and could prove it, so they removed those pages as well. So now I finally could recreate a new Charmy Harker page and a new The Penny Lady page, and start over from scratch trying to re-friend all my friends and family, and re-joining all my coin groups. It has been a very frustrating and stressful 4 days, to say the least.

Charmy Harker
    The Penny Lady®
  • SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    So what is the point?

Usually, "the point" is to try to message the hacked account's friends and trick them into sending the hackers some money. The usual spiel is along the lines of "Hello, I'm on holiday and I've got stuck in Uzbekistan and had my wallet stolen and can't access my bank account. Can you send me $5000 by Western Union?". Because it comes from your actual friend's account, you might think it's a genuine call for help.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@knovak1976 said:
    Facebook is a strange place indeed. Several years ago I decided to change my profile birthday (which was actually hidden and not available for anyone to see). I changed it to May of 2020. As soon as I hit ‘enter’ it immediately blocked me from my FB and Messenger accounts saying I was under 13 years old and underage. A message came up and told me if I thought it was in error to submit a government issued photo ID and they would review it. I was 62 at the time. All my photos were of airplanes, my family, and places I had gone….and were all lost as FB somehow determined (quite wrongly I might add) that I was underage . It took me almost two years before I was able to get back on again with an old Compuserve address….and I had start all over again. Sorry this nonsense happened to you. Good luck getting it taken care of!

Same thing happened to my wife a few years ago. She sent a copy of her drivers license which they acknowledged receiving and still didn't restore her account. Then she sent a copy of her passport which they acknowledged receiving and still denied her access. It was around Christmas time so just for fun she sent a photo of our manger set. We haven't heard from them since.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThePennyLady said:
    I spent the past 4 days in a continuous loop with FB trying to get my disabled pages back, trying to appeal, trying to contact a human, reading how to fix this on google and other search engines, reading all of FB's rules, procedures, etc., emailing whoever google said to email, calling any number posted on google, ALL TO NO AVAIL WHATSOEVER. The only thing that worked was "reporting" my old Charmy Harker pages from my husband's account - those pages were taken over by someone else and even had a photo of me - which they finally removed. I also filed an intellectual property complaint against the "new" owners of the two The Penny Lady pages the hackers set up (which had my logo and my own picture) since I owned the trademark to "The Penny Lady" and could prove it, so they removed those pages as well. So now I finally could recreate a new Charmy Harker page and a new The Penny Lady page, and start over from scratch trying to re-friend all my friends and family, and re-joining all my coin groups. It has been a very frustrating and stressful 4 days, to say the least.

My F/B page was hacked about 2 years ago and I have never been able to get it back. I also tried all the stuff that they tell you to do on the help pages and on Google but no luck. Could never speak to a live person at FB so I figured screw it. If they, as a company can't make it easier for legit people to regain access to their own accounts, they obviously don't care.
    While I miss some stuff, I'm probably better off not being on FB... especially in an election year, lol!

Best of luck and if you figure out some magic resolution, please share!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fascistbook nuked my account over 3 years ago while I was using it. Another account in the "Hall of Heroes of the Meme Wars."
    All because I didn't support the current thing. Making fun of policians of a certain party. Mainly posting lots of dark humor memes that I got from others on FB to share.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

@Sapyx said:

@GRANDAM said:
    So what is the point?

Usually, "the point" is to try to message the hacked account's friends and trick them into sending the hackers some money. The usual spiel is along the lines of "Hello, I'm on holiday and I've got stuck in Uzbekistan and had my wallet stolen and can't access my bank account. Can you send me $5000 by Western Union?". Because it comes from your actual friend's account, you might think it's a genuine call for help.

To the ones who fall for that without verification from their friend I know a rich Nigerian prince who just died and left you all of his money, just provide me with the account and routing numbers to send it to.

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good catch on your part. I'm guessing.
    I don't fool with any platforms that doesn't have that personal touch. (Really...I hate typing)
    I hope you sent that ( ! ) cat their own fur ball to hack themselves up.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never been on Wastebook and never will.

edited September 3, 2024 7:48PM

I think most social media platforms have their positive aspects, like staying connected with far away friends and family, and connecting with and learning from specialty groups (like coins, cars, crafts, etc.). I also use it to market my inventory, let folks know about my newest Pretty Pennies, post my show reports, show some of the interesting coins I've acquired for my personal collections, post photos of unusual and fun exonumia pieces I've found, show off my beautiful 1968 GTCS Mustang, etc. But these types of platforms also definitely have their pitfalls and frustrations, like what I posted here. It just means we/I need to be more diligent and savvy about keeping accounts as secure as possible. I now have dual authentication processes which I should have instituted earlier, so (hopefully) it will be much more difficult for someone to change my password or contact info without my knowing.

Charmy Harker
    The Penny Lady®
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2024 10:15PM

Sorry you had to deal with all of this Charmy. It’s such a shame to have to waste your time fighting this. What a drag. 😩

I only use Facebook for personal/family reasons. It’s so awesome. There’s a reason half of the world’s population is on FB. Because of this, it's sadly a huge target for hackers/crooks/losers.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a pain in the farcebook

HE>I

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry this happened to you. From all accounts, you’re a hell of a classy lady and you most certainly don’t deserve to have been a crime victim like this. Here’s to hoping, and saying a little prayer for ya, that you have better days and get everything sorted.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• VKurtBVKurtB Posts: 16 ✭✭

This is why I’ll never have a Facebook account. Maybe it’s better to just move on.

• MercuryMercury Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭

My personal facebook page was hacked a few years ago. If you use the same password anywhere else go change it now.
    I spent days and days trying to get it back before I just gave up, sent in the drivers license and everything, never could get a person. They changed the name and everything on my account. After I was hacked it was like I just disappeared from facebook. Spent about 9 mounts without an account and then signed back up and started over.

Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe you should ask for a refund.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file