Home U.S. Coin Forum

1877 Trade dollar, is this what is meant by weak strike?

So I was reading the PCGS CoinFacts about trade dollars. There’s lots of interesting history there, and this bit jumped out: “the 1877 is almost always weakly struck around the obverse stars and head.” The only trade dollar I have is an 1877, so I dug it out to see what they are talking about.

In the past I had assumed that the lack of detail in the high points was just circulation wear. But now when I look at it, it does seem consistent with a weak strike. My apologies that these photos aren’t better, but do you think am I interpreting this correctly? That a big contributing factor in the high-point flatness is the weak strike?

Also, I have a side question about the luster. It just seems really flat on this coin, without any cartwheel effect that I’m used to. I’ve tried to get a photo with the angle just right to show what I mean. If I saw, say, a Peace dollar that was flat like this, I’d assume that it had been polished at some point. Would it be fair to say that this coin was polished at some point? Or is the luster on trade dollars typically much more flat like this?

At some angles the surface looks like it could almost be reflective it’s so flat.

Comments

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking she's been 'rubbed' quite a bit in her lifetime.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

While the coin might be weakly struck, it’s obviously circulated and worn (as well as likely cleaned). As such, I wouldn’t expect it to exhibit the cartwheel luster you asked about.

Edited to add: I have seen more than a few uncirculated semi-prooflike and prooflike examples of that date.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

Edited to add: I have seen more than a few uncirculated semi-prooflike and prooflike examples of that date.

Agreed, It's not uncommon to see the 77-P in semi-PL or PL condition.

• Thanks for the feedback!

@lermish said:

If you compare the stars near the top of Liberty's head to Stars 1-3 & 11-13 you'll notice the difference in strike quality.

There are some very extreme examples out there. This coin (not mine) is a 63:

These examples are quite helpful. That second one does make it especially obvious. It’s kinda amazing how flat the head and stars are given the nice surfaces and detail on the rest of the coin.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin in the op looks about vf35 dipped and maybe cleaned so I would only expect to see mint luster in protected areas.
    I do have one with a decent strike:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file