Home U.S. Coin Forum

*Revealed* 1919-S Buffalo Nickel Guess the Grade!

MoparmonsterMoparmonster Posts: 213 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 1, 2024 3:03PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

66+

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

• goldengolden Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough to grade from those photos, but I will say 65.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... the reverse looks really well struck. I'd say 64, maybe 65...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice looking Buffalo. I’ll say, and I think I’m at the top end at 66.

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2024 7:21PM

67 here - exceptional strike and luster, and I don't see any marks worth noting

Edited to add: I checked coinfacts after guessing and I didn't even realize none have been graded MS67 at PCGS!

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is a wonderful appearing coin there. Maybe 65?? Many even not top-notch buffs are so very attractive and yours much better than most.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

Superb Buff . . . . . . . . .

Drunner

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 but admittedly weak grader when it comes to buffaloes.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• MoparmonsterMoparmonster Posts: 213 ✭✭✭✭

Enjoying the guesses and comments! I’ll give it a little more time to let some others take a stab 🙂

• EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

Easton Collection
  • BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 plus

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2024 5:56AM

64, with above average luster and strike.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

• lunagatelylunagately Posts: 43 ✭✭✭

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclosure: I started collecting circulated Buffalo Nickels a few months ago, and I have to admit its about the most difficult series to grade accurately. Strike, and taking this into consideration on circulated coins, makes it so... I initially said 64 but that could be low... 65 seems about right with the obverse strike... 66 would make it top pop?

Anyway, thanks for sharing...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

65+

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positives: strong reverse strike for a tough date. Possibly good luster (first set of photos is overexposed. Second doesn't capture luster very well).

Negatives: first set of photos shows two parallel marks on the cheek that would be grade limiting. The second set of photos however doesn't clearly show such marks.
    First obverse photo shows residue characteristic of a poor rinse job after a dip.
    So I am hedging my way to 64.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 possibly 65

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2024 11:02AM

I’m thinking 64. Although the first set of images I’d say 65 but the second set drops my opinion by at least one point. At any rate it’s a very nice 1919-s👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one reason I dislike grading by photos. Are those two obverse pictures really from the same coin?

MS-64

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+, fwiw

• Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭✭

I'm at 64 with these pics

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• MoparmonsterMoparmonster Posts: 213 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations to @TriPodBuffalo and @FullHorn very well done.

My apologies for the photo quality. I do my best with a cell phone camera and a lamp. I don’t have a professional photography set up. I don’t think my pictures are half bad though considering.

My thoughts: I’d have to agree with the majority of you. This coin stood out to me in a full set of mint state buffs. I saw it as under graded. The luster did beam off of it, but I think I have to agree with @breakdown that it did appear to have some residue from an improper rinse after a dip. Perhaps that was the reason PCGS was harsh on it??

Also, this was a good test as well, as I had a full picture of this coin in my case at the last show posted on the BST where it was for sale but no one bothered to notice (and could have cheated) or just didn’t look at the BST thread which doesn’t really bolster my faith in how many people actually look at stuff offered on there (Which btw I still do have stuff for sale.) Funny enough, I’ve noticed a couple coins now that I previously owned that @rarity7 has in inventory albeit at a much higher price so maybe I should just start selling to him directly? Lol

Lastly, for those interested in this one, this coin has sold now. I got it for slightly above bid and it was recently sold on ebay for $2,000.

Thank you all for playing and for the insightful comments!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file