Home U.S. Coin Forum

What is this brownish stuff?

CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep many coins that I have CRHed in stacks on my shelf, and I have noticed that over time, some coins have developed a reddish-brown haze on them. Below are the specific details of the coins with the stuff on them.

1. Only silver coins, no copper or nickel.
  2. Only the side facing up receives it.
  3. It isn’t the shelf itself, as coins at the top of stacks get it.
  4. Only occurs on coins not covered by another coin.
  5. The stuff wipes off if you run a piece of fabric over the coin, but sticks in recessed places on the coin.

Here are pictures of some affected rosies, the reverse of the 1952( facing down on the shelf) is shown to illustrate the difference in color.

As far as I can tell it must come from the air and settle straight down onto the coin based on which parts are affected. Any opinions on what it is, where it comes from, and what to do about it are welcome.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

Comments

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2024 2:15PM

The merc looks like it was stored in an envelope and there was moisture. I see that look on a lot of early silver and I’m not a big fan of it.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:
    The merc looks like it was stored in an envelope and there was moisture. I see that look on a lot of early silver and I’m not a big fan of it.

I think these are developing on his coins as they are sitting on the shelf.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:

That's odd though, as I pulled it from the coin star and it was already dark, but this brownish substance was added later, and it has never been in an envelope.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just residue that is reacting with the environment you live in, is it dusty, humid, combination of those? As these are circulated coins unless you washed each coin in acetone there is bound to be some skin oils on the coins, those oils or other surface contaminates will change the surface over time as well as attract dust.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

@coinbuf said:
    Just residue that is reacting with the environment you live in, is it dusty, humid, combination of those? As these are circulated coins unless you washed each coin in acetone there is bound to be some skin oils on the coins, those oils or other surface contaminates will change the surface over time as well as attract dust.

They are in the air conditioning, but I live in a very humid area. I wonder if that speeds it up.

@CRHer700 said:

@coinbuf said:

They are in the air conditioning, but I live in a very humid area. I wonder if that speeds it up.

Air conditioning removes humidity, so if the AC is running strong then I doubt it. So you know what the RH (relative humidity) is inside your house?

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

@PeakRarities said:

@CRHer700 said:

@coinbuf said:

Air conditioning removes humidity, so if the AC is running strong then I doubt it. So you know what the RH (relative humidity) is inside your house?

Nope. I might be able to find out though.

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭✭

An observation I made (in my cool air conditioned house in humid Kansas City) today: I had a glass of ice water and very quickly, big drops of water coated the entire glass and dripped down onto the coaster. It's not scientific, but if you do the ice water test in the room where you keep your coins and it's instantly soaked, you can bet that humidity is working on your silver. ;-)

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you live close to a chemical plant?

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there any smokers in your house? I remember in the old days coin dealers would take a dipped cent and blow cigar smoke on it to darken it and give it a more natural appearance. Not sure if they still do this.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

@CRHer700 said:

@PeakRarities said:

@CRHer700 said:

@coinbuf said:

Nope. I might be able to find out though.

Anything above 60% might be cause to experiment with alternate storage solutions. In my safe, and safety deposit box, I use dessicant packs to help wick up the moisture. I would buy this and put it where you store your coins, just to be sure.

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP50-Digital-Thermometer-Temperature/dp/B01H1R0K68/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3CSOEIIA6X37N&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.oKbRZRMgkFkS2IsXGJHokY9V_M8Wn6OMI3ieTIDdEG3GpUwbisfBZKmX3fk6poM5p2RWaYCtl4wIBZWhheaJssgcYgoL6Mhg3Tyblm3IE3CBe19luSTdESBwoFePRP7jWUfbTxbR4CYllowNKuarCNTn0Y4dTUOqfuv1RcyF_tCChvPFsCHonJKARFwCiS8hQLtax9bwsEJsl7I8w1fXqCRC5OVXybmoQ_qHR24KX5Tp55fMnMVWZwP3pTFxVE_133LjkJHOI4aNGNt_dO7w-gn3cg7aeCLwdrxiMt0hQxw.7mCdVpa6wCYRwXh80_igmg8cWF5hq6lzVPz4DXou1-s&dib_tag=se&keywords=humidity+meter&qid=1725211499&s=hpc&sprefix=humidity+,hpc,626&sr=1-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

@Coinscratch said:
    Do you live close to a chemical plant?

No.

@PerryHall said:
    Are there any smokers in your house? I remember in the old days coin dealers would take a dipped cent and blow cigar smoke on it to darken it and give it a more natural appearance. Not sure if they still do this.

No.
    I assume that it must be the humidity, but I don't get why it only affects silver and not copper or nickel.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2024 6:59PM

Envelope or wallet tarnish.

Coins & Currency
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been frying alot of eggs recently?
    :*

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mercury dime looks like it was dipped then re-toned an ugly brownish color.

The roosevelt dime looks like a shadow from the finger? Hard to tell from photo.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the roll stored in hot garage for ages.

Coins & Currency

@oreville said:

The roosevelt dime looks like a shadow from the finger? Hard to tell from photo.

I know my pictures are bad, but in real life the Rosies are the same color as the merc.

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2024 5:54AM

@CRHer700 said:

@oreville said:

I know my pictures are bad, but in real life the Rosies are the same color as the merc.

A tight one way rub from your clean thumb and forefinger should eliminate the ugly brown toning. That kind of toning occurs no matter how your dime is stored. The Roosevelt dime reverse side does not show the same brown toning.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

@oreville said:

@CRHer700 said:

@oreville said:

A tight one way rub from your clean thumb and forefinger should eliminate the ugly brown toning. That kind of toning occurs no matter how your dime is stored. The Roosevelt dime reverse side does not show the same brown toning.

You are correct, and that is what I will have to do.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file