Home U.S. Coin Forum

Fall back plans for owners of collectibles in case of disaster

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard about several cases of serious collectors and dealers this week who had strokes without fall back plans; ie passwords for emails, ebay, etc. were not kept and the stroke victims cannot remember them. One of the local serious collectibles dealers had considerable consignments on ebay, family cannot get back and the guy does not remember. How to prevent this type of disaster? In another case the guy died after the stroke, had substantial collectibles the family thought was not worth much, the painters were told to dump the contents of the Condo, paint it so it could be sold.

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe you already answered your questions about fall back plans with how you painted these folks who did nothing to prepare themselves or others for any possible emergencies.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not an issue here - for years, if I get hit by the proverbial bus, my SDB has included instructions for my heirs with the contact information for the folks at Heritage to come pick it all up and how it should all be auctioned.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone who has significant items of value (financial, historical, or otherwise) should have at least one trusted relative or friend who understands the value.

Written instructions are, of course, highly recommended, as well.

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭

Yup. Written instructions taped right to the large black filing cabinet that holds the documents and detailed instructions. james

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

A relative of mine passed away suddenly, and all the family photos on his laptop became inaccessible, because nobody else knew the password.
    My way around this problem is that I have the family photos backed up on a USB hard drive, with no password involved.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file