Home U.S. Coin Forum

1958-D Quarter toner just got graded, guess the grade-Revealed

Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 29, 2024 7:14PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here’s the reveal, they gave it a 66. Most people got it dead on or close

For fun, I submitted some raw toned coins I had lying around at the last Long Beach show because I had some vouchers that were about to expire. Here’s one of them, guess the grade please.
Here’s the TrueView images

And here are some Spudview images I made when I first purchased the coin about 20 years ago.

The toning hasn’t changed since I bought it. I had it in a airtite capsule in a jar with desiccant.

Mr_Spud

Comments

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭✭

Which color is closest?

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

67+

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

66+

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinhack said:
    Which color is closest?

The Spudview is closest

Mr_Spud

@coinhack said:
    Which color is closest?

What do you think?

Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say 66. Looks like there are some marks on the cheek that would prevent it going higher.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Regardless I like it.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing MS66, I was also wondering about the color given the recent TV photo issues. While these look better than many posted recently it is clear from your comment on which photos best represent the coin that the TV's are still suffering from some overexposure or color tint issues.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

@coinbuf said:
    I'm guessing MS66, I was also wondering about the color given the recent TV photo issues. While these look better than many posted recently it is clear from your comment on which photos best represent the coin that the TV's are still suffering from some overexposure or color tint issues.

It probably only looks better than most posted recently because the coin is already toned a warm color, and therefore the yellow tint is not as noticeable.

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

66+..... I have a 1958 toner in an ANACS soapbox that is 67 from ANACS. I am thinking of crossing it....I am curious to see if you made 67.

• CregCreg Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

I agree with Bluejay, but I’ll cover 64.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

My initial reaction is MS66, but truly it has the classic look of MS66 or MS67 at PCGS. The difference between the assignment of grades, in my experience, has to do with luster and the apparent luster on this coin is more muted than I typically see on MS67. Please note I am ignoring the + grade options.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

67+ bumped for color.

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS66

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS67

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im in the MS67 camp.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vplite99
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

66 is my guess

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2024 7:05PM

Everybody was either right or close, they gave it a 66. In all honesty, the Trueview captured the luster better and my 20 year old Spudview captured the color better. If I remember correctly, this pic was taken with one of those old Nikon’s with the square swivel lenses that Russ used to tell everybody about. You could pick them up used on eBay for about $50 or so. I can tell I used multiple lights with a Reveal incandescent light as part of the lighting. I can tell that by the exaggerated blue on the rims. When I get coin back from PCGS, I might try tweaking the Trueview tint a bit redder to match the coin in-hand colors and it should be pretty accurate. I’m going to put the grade reveal in the original post so people don’t have to go digging down here if they don’t want to read more

Mr_Spud

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file