Home U.S. Coin Forum

S is to close ?

Comments

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd certainly keep it as a curiosity. There's another thread about a nickel with a dramatically misplaced mintmark that sells for a huge premium.

Back then the mintmarks were hand punched into the die, and occassionally they were added in odd places.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I'd certainly keep it as a curiosity. There's another thread about a nickel with a dramatically misplaced mintmark that sells for a huge premium.

Back then the mintmarks were hand punched into the die, and occassionally they were added in odd places.

wouldnt this coin fall into this? (for lack of wisdom at present time) and when did automatic punches come into play? :)

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, and too

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2024 8:58AM

@johnny9434 said:

@JBK said:

wouldnt this coin fall into this? (for lack of wisdom at present time) and when did automatic punches come into play? :)

It's all about marketing and hype, I mean promotion. :)

If this cent catches peoples' imagination then it could become a sought after variety. After all, 25% of the S is above the baseline of the 9.

I think they moved away from handpunched mintmarks sometime in the 1980s.

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is interesting in that yes, the 'S' is somewhat up into the plain of the date. However, value is dependent on collector acceptance and demand, and whether the variety would be promoted or not. The before mentioned nickel is listed in the Cherrypicker's Guide if I am not mistaken, so that has certainly helped lead to popularity and increased price since it has been found to be quite scarce.

As far as I know, there is little to no value in the Op's coin... but in the future, who knows?

----- kj
  • GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭

I think 1989 was the last year for hand punched dies.
    As far as the positioning goes, every coin punched from that die would be in the same position
    so there could be upwards of a million cents with the mm looking like that, the same amount as the different location on any other hand punched die. Maybe the mint worker had a bad day.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:
    No, and too

peacockcoins

• epcepc Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2024 11:14AM

Um, that's grammar :), and a few other issues... But I'm guessing you know that.
    I guess it's not a good morning for me.

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not only high mm, but off centered as well.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file