Home U.S. Coin Forum

CAC submission advice

I have a nice coin that I purchased a couple of years ago that I was thinking of sending in to CAC. As it is a fairly expensive coin (at least to me) I get nervous when thinking about sending it in as we have all heard the horror stories of coins that go missing. I had a DCAM 70 Ike that I paid $3500 disappear several years ago at the local post office even though it was sent certified/signature required. They tried to blame the carrier who always looked out for my boxes and she said she never saw the package….and the tracking number showed it ‘went to coin heaven’ and never left the PO for delivery… Luckily the seller had another IKE and sent it…. So my question/dilemma is this: I called CAC and asked if the coin had been submitted before so I wouldn’t risk sending the coin in if there was no chance it would bean….and they said they couldn’t release that information. So does CAC keep a list of coins that have been submitted that don’t pass/exceed that will be rejected automatically if they show up again? I’d hate to pay the fees/shipping for a coin that has no chance. Thanks for any advice on this!

Comments

• knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of taking the coin (and possibly one other) to the American Coin and Collectibles Show next month and give it a shot. Thanks for your advice! I will post the results if I strike it lucky! 😉

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB is correct.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB is right. :)

Here is your question, and the CAC answer, from their stickering FAQ page:

Source: https://www.cacgrading.com/doc/why-smart-watch-is-important/

@MetroD said:
    @TomB is right. :)

Here is your question, and the CAC answer, from their stickering FAQ page:

Source: https://www.cacgrading.com/doc/why-smart-watch-is-important/

Thank you. For some reason I missed that on their site. Appreciate it! Karl

• TypekatTypekat Posts: 317 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry about the loss of your Ike $, but “certified/signature required” means it had no insurance at all.
    Registered insured mail is the ticket for high-value items.
    It’s slow, but sure.

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

@Typekat said:
    Sorry about the loss of your Ike $, but “certified/signature required” means it had no insurance at all.
    Registered insured mail is the ticket for high-value items.
    It’s slow, but sure.

Sorry….it was registered insured. The dealer dealt with the PO and made me whole so it turned out okay for me. 😉

• @knovak1976 said:
    I am thinking of taking the coin (and possibly one other) to the American Coin and Collectibles Show next month and give it a shot. Thanks for your advice! I will post the results if I strike it lucky! 😉

Just remember that CAC is not doing on-site stickering or grading at the GACC show in Tampa. You can drop off coins for submission there, but they will bring them back home and they will be shipped back to you.

• Also, random aside but someone at CAC seems to have forgotten to update the URL for their FAQ...

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 357 ✭✭✭✭✭

My thinking: dropping off coins at a show means you save one "instance of shipping risk/expense." Also, for those who submit multiple items in different tiers of service at one time - CACG in Virginia (not sure about CAC Stickering in New Jersey) can combine the return shipment. (I was told this as I submitted 15 coins earlier this month at ANA - which were categorized into five separate submissions due to the varied values of the coins and the services (crossover vs. grade) that I needed.

And yeah - we're in a PCGS forum. And PCGS has told me that they send each order back separately. Which in this case would be "five instances of risk/expense" instead of just one. But the risks are miniscule that any one shipment will be lost or stolen; the real benefit of combined shipping to me is saving a $10 handling fee plus a minimum insurance cost per shipment.

And yeah, one shipment has "all my eggs in one basket," and someone may actually appreciate putting their eggs in different baskets. Those are the folks who believe this is a high risk endeavor. Personally, I don't.

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

@Bikergeek said:
    My thinking: dropping off coins at a show means you save one "instance of shipping risk/expense." Also, for those who submit multiple items in different tiers of service at one time - CACG in Virginia (not sure about CAC Stickering in New Jersey) can combine the return shipment. (I was told this as I submitted 15 coins earlier this month at ANA - which were categorized into five separate submissions due to the varied values of the coins and the services (crossover vs. grade) that I needed.

Yes, this was kind of along my thought process too. For anyone that has done this, do they help you with the paperwork or is it just a ‘drop off’ kind of thing? Thanks!

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@knovak1976 said:

@Bikergeek said:

Yes, this was kind of along my thought process too. For anyone that has done this, do they help you with the paperwork or is it just a ‘drop off’ kind of thing? Thanks!

Either. Their customer service is fantastic, don't be afraid to ask them for help if you are unsure or would like some guidance.

@lermish ……

Either. Their customer service is fantastic, don't be afraid to ask them for help if you are unsure or would like some guidance.

Thanks! I definitely will. Karl

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file