Home U.S. Coin Forum

Found a "Rare" Quarter CRH'ing.

cladkingcladking Posts: 28,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a very well made AU-55+ 1967. It's not banged up like most of the circulating old quarters and has very little wear. Die condition was in the top 95% and strike in the top 99%. Even in 1968 you didn't see many '67 quarters with the lettering distinct from the rim.

There may not be even 50,000 '67 quarters in BU and even though these come nicer than the earlier dates few are so well made. This is a hard number to estimate though and there are a million '67 SMS coins surviving. It's been about 30 years since I've seen an AU '67 in rolls.

Tempus fugit.

Comments

• maymay Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, it's becoming hard to find anything in decent shape before 2000

Type collector, mainly into Seated. -formerly Ownerofawheatiehorde. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON, Gerard

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

A condition rarity no doubt. But we'll need pics or it isn't real.

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck on your submission as it would be a pop 1 coin in 55+

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your thoughts, you are 100% correct, these are way over looked and cheap for the rarity for moderns. it is a POP 89/12 in MS67. It is basically like a 45-S in the POP report.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pic?

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, what am I missing here? A very well made (rare?) AU-55+ 1967. Because it was found in circulation?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    Okay, what am I missing here? A very well made (rare?) AU-55+ 1967. Because it was found in circulation?

Obviously I might be wrong.

But it's quite possible some of those high grades are actually SMS and this one is obviously not.

But more importantly is that only the finest coins are sent in for grading. From these numbers it does appear my estimate of "50,000" nicer examples might be a little low but you are making the assumption that all of those MS-65 and higher grades are well made coins and this is where I disagree with other collectors and the services. These coins are graded largely on flash and lack of marking. Indeed even the fish scaling of badly worn dies will not keep a coin from getting a high grade. There are even high grade coins with chicken scratching around the periphery. Bad dies alignment and weak strikes are often forgiven.

This is just the way people want their coins graded and this is fine; I have no problem with it. But I personally find many of these coins to be very ugly just like a PL that can highlight every gouge and scrape on the coin.

If all the nicest surviving 1967 quarters could be laid out in order then many (most) of the finest will reside in TPG holders so this is where they will be found. Finding nice attractive '67 quarters in ANY other venue is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Yes they exist in MS-63 and MS-64 as well. But forget MS-60 because there are so very few but chiefly because every single one of them is ugly; poorly made by worn dies and scratched to death. This quarter would be about the 50,000th most attractive 1967 quarter by my own personal standards.

I can't justify my opinion any more than anyone else but I came by it honestly. I've searched for nice coins since the day they were issued and the vast majority of the coins I've seen have significant flaw that seem to be a token of the times in which we live. Quality means nothing. We buy refrigerators that are garbage and stuff them with a product we call "chicken" that has been saturated with water and chemicals and then check to see if the light comes on when the power goes off.

I like quality and find it elusive especially in the older clad.

To each his own but this quarter is still quite scarce and quite representative of these times because it has no value to collectors. It is not only remarkable such a coin is in circulation but is remarkable it hasn't been chewed up by the machinery that has been chewing up coins for a quarter century or longer. It has spent at least a few months in active circulation and has no scratches of note. I suppose it circulated briefly back in 1967 but this is odder yet since it defies very long odds on a circulated coin having been removed from circulation in 1967.

It's simply remarkable that it exists and more remarkable that it came in a roll from the bank. There was nothing very unusual about the rolls in the sample. There were "19" post-'98 in a row in one roll but this isn't so statistically improbable now that the incidence of these is approaching 70%.

This coin is the most improbable collectible I've seen in about 20 years when I got a Gem '82-D. Indeed, by my definition only one eagle reverse coin can be found in collectible condition in about ten rolls from the bank. Typically this would be a nice attractive F '67 instead of an AU-55. Such coins have been gone for a very long time.

Tempus fugit.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    Pic?

It would be pretty difficult.

I have a friend who'll help me with some computers issues in a few days. If there's time I'll try to get a photo. At least I'll have my camera all ready. There's really not much to see. It's just a typical well made '67 with light wear and a dark rim. Often the rims stay a little shiny all the way down to XF-45 but not this one.

Tempus fugit.
  • CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that some of the highest graded coins shown at Coin facts are SMS I tried passing this one as an MS (just to see if they're awake) but it came back SP67 dang it! :D

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Obviously I might be wrong.

But it's quite possible some of those high grades are actually SMS and this one is obviously not.

But more importantly is that only the finest coins are sent in for grading. From these numbers it does appear my estimate of "50,000" nicer examples might be a little low but you are making the assumption that all of those MS-65 and higher grades are well made coins and this is where I disagree with other collectors and the services. These coins are graded largely on flash and lack of marking. Indeed even the fish scaling of badly worn dies will not keep a coin from getting a high grade. There are even high grade coins with chicken scratching around the periphery. Bad dies alignment and weak strikes are often forgiven.

This is just the way people want their coins graded and this is fine; I have no problem with it. But I personally find many of these coins to be very ugly just like a PL that can highlight every gouge and scrape on the coin.

If all the nicest surviving 1967 quarters could be laid out in order then many (most) of the finest will reside in TPG holders so this is where they will be found. Finding nice attractive '67 quarters in ANY other venue is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Yes they exist in MS-63 and MS-64 as well. But forget MS-60 because there are so very few but chiefly because every single one of them is ugly; poorly made by worn dies and scratched to death. This quarter would be about the 50,000th most attractive 1967 quarter by my own personal standards.

I can't justify my opinion any more than anyone else but I came by it honestly. I've searched for nice coins since the day they were issued and the vast majority of the coins I've seen have significant flaw that seem to be a token of the times in which we live. Quality means nothing. We buy refrigerators that are garbage and stuff them with a product we call "chicken" that has been saturated with water and chemicals and then check to see if the light comes on when the power goes off.

I like quality and find it elusive especially in the older clad.

To each his own but this quarter is still quite scarce and quite representative of these times because it has no value to collectors. It is not only remarkable such a coin is in circulation but is remarkable it hasn't been chewed up by the machinery that has been chewing up coins for a quarter century or longer. It has spent at least a few months in active circulation and has no scratches of note. I suppose it circulated briefly back in 1967 but this is odder yet since it defies very long odds on a circulated coin having been removed from circulation in 1967.

It's simply remarkable that it exists and more remarkable that it came in a roll from the bank. There was nothing very unusual about the rolls in the sample. There were "19" post-'98 in a row in one roll but this isn't so statistically improbable now that the incidence of these is approaching 70%.

This coin is the most improbable collectible I've seen in about 20 years when I got a Gem '82-D. Indeed, by my definition only one eagle reverse coin can be found in collectible condition in about ten rolls from the bank. Typically this would be a nice attractive F '67 instead of an AU-55. Such coins have been gone for a very long time.

Thanks for your detailed opinion and explanation. I don't question your opinion of this coin. I'm sure it looks remarkable!

If the coin you're describing (even though there were 1.5 billion minted) had been floating around in circulation for 57 years, there's no way (in my opinion) it would look the way you're describing.

The coin has most likely been sitting in grandma's sock draw for 57 years, the grand-kids found it and throw it back into circulation.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file