Home U.S. Coin Forum

Upcoming submission and my thoughts on the coins

ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I figured I would do something a little different and share my thoughts on some coins I plan to submit in my next order. I'll post some images with my assessment and grade estimate, you can either agree, tell me I'm wrong, or expand on what I've written if you feel like it.

Coin 1: 1921 Peace Dollar (because of course it is)
The luster isn't bad but it does have a lot of chatter going on. The strike is "typical" 1921, flat hair, lacking feather detail on the wing and leg. There are a couple of minor spots from some age-old liquid I would assume. Nothing terribly distracting, looks like a true unc. I am at MS62 on this one. It is a VAM 1-H but I am not going to seek variety attribution.

Coin 2: 1935 Peace Dollar
Not many hits. The luster is decent, kind of satiny like many 1934-35's but I don't think it has the "pop" needed for a gem grade.
My assessment is MS64

Coin 3: 1959 Proof Franklin Half
This coin is really nice for a 1959. The images make it look like it is covered in unsightly spots but that is amplified by the way I had the lighting set up. Nice deep mirror fields with minimal flow lines and good contrast with the devices. No hairlines to speak of but there are a couple of toning spots under the L on the obverse. I am at PR67 CAM.

Now we're going into a 1941 Proof Set.
Coin 4: 1941 WLH
Very flashy coin with deep mirrors. Only a couple of minor scattered and hardly noticeable hairlines. A toning streak near the hand through the flag. I think the few scattered marks keep this one out of PR67, but it is definitely nicer than PR65 so I am settling in at PR66. It would be nicer if the die wasn't over-polished to the point of detail loss.

Coin 5: 1941 Washington 25C
I had a heck of a time photographing this one. There's nothing terribly special about it, minimal marks and nice surfaces. Detail could be better. Honestly this one I don't think is really worth submission but I want the set to have sequential cert numbers so in it goes. I think it is a PR66.

Coin 6: 1941 Merc 10C
Now we're getting into the cream of this proof set. This coin has a nice original surface haze and the coin underneath is very nice. No noticeable marks, no cellophane friction, good detail. As long as I haven't missed something this is a PR67 for sure.

Coin 7: 1941 Jefferson 5C
A very solid proof Jefferson. The obverse has nice fields and some actual contrast. The reflectivity of the fields is unbroken and goes all the way to the edge, many of these from this era have weak reflectivity or areas of cloudiness that detract from the eye appeal. My average on Jeffersons has been overwhelmingly 66, I am firmly at 67 on this one and would be disappointed with anything lower.

Coin 8: 1941 Lincoln 1C
No hairlines, a few very minor but acceptable spots, a very attractive cent. Reflectivity of the fields is good, Color is a nice deep red. I have nothing really to complain about on this one other than the couple of tiny obverse spots as mentioned. PR66RD is my estimate.

Coin 9: 1942 Proof 1C
This coin is a stunner! There is just a single spot behind Lincoln's head which I don't find distracting. The contrast between the fields and devices is very evident, however due to the amount of flow lines seen in the fields I am not confident this one is worthy of a cameo designation. Minor unstruck planchet area is seen on the cheek, jaw, and shoulder. This is accentuated by the frostiness of the bust, on a fully brilliant coin it would not be noticeable. I think this is deserving of a high gem grade so I am going to say PR66+RD

Coin 10: 1915 5C
I bought this coin because I really liked the look and the strike. It has minimal marks, but the luster might be a little weak. I am thinking this is due to being a very early strike from the dies which had not yet developed the surface wear that produces cartwheel luster. I won't say what holder I cracked this out of, but I think it is deserving of an MS65 grade.

And that's that. I hope you enjoyed a little time inside my head and insight into how I (correctly or not) assessed these coins for grading. My grade estimates have typically been within one point, but let me know if you think I'm way off on any or if maybe you observe something that I have not. Unfortunately unless I send this express(I'm not!) we won't see PCGS grades for a few months.

Collector, occasional seller

Comments

• PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would give that Mercury dime a bath!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that 1942 1c doesn't CAM, let me know cause I would be a buyer. All that to say - PCGS better throw those three letters on the label. :smile:

I agree with the rest of your grades except for the 1941 nickel - it seems to have some heavy hairlines to the upper right of Monticello. That should drop it to 65 IMO.

Coin Photographer.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:
    If that 1942 1c doesn't CAM, let me know cause I would be a buyer. All that to say - PCGS better throw those three letters on the label. :smile:

I agree with the rest of your grades except for the 1941 nickel - it seems to have some heavy hairlines to the upper right of Monticello. That should drop it to 65 IMO.

We'll see on the cent, I hope it does CAM.
    It appears to share a die pair with a few of the designated coins. https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1942-1c-cam/images/83353
    The marks to the upper right of the Monticello are the only real surface marks on the coin. I'll agree they are highly noticeable in that photograph but not as bad viewing in hand. It may drop to 66, but almost certainly not to 65.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:

I thought about it, but I don't think the haze is distracting and is probably best left alone.

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@FlyingAl said:

We'll see on the cent, I hope it does CAM.
    It appears to share a die pair with a few of the designated coins. https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1942-1c-cam/images/83353
    The marks to the upper right of the Monticello are the only real surface marks on the coin. I'll agree they are highly noticeable in that photograph but not as bad viewing in hand. It may drop to 66, but almost certainly not to 65.

The 1942 is from the most commonly designated die pair, and it should go unless the standards are so wonky right now that PCGS is missing these.

Coin Photographer.

• TriPodBuffaloTriPodBuffalo Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

Nice looking group of coins. My experience with very early die state buffalos is that they tend to come back from PCGS with a grade of MS64. Good luck with the submission.

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect your grades are a touch optimistic on several of the coins. I think you would benefit from a restoration/conservation as well.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice flock and nice photos!
    Good Luck on all.
    Loving that 35 Peace!
    <3
    B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Receiving a Cameo designation on a 1959 half dollar is very difficult to achieve. Good luck on that coin.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:

I like the originality of that coin and would disagree! :)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • InditonkaInditonka Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

Nice write up's on each of the coins! I'm a Peace dollar fan, so I'll just guess on them...the 1921 a bit to many hits, my guess is MS61. If for some reason they don't think its unc, then AU55. I agree with your assessment on the 1935, might even get a 64+!

Good luck with this submission, and thanks for sharing the details!

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:

It may just be a gunk layer and acetone would take it off. Safe and effective.

• Farmer_BillFarmer_Bill Posts: 29 ✭✭✭

Good luck

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file