Home U.S. Coin Forum

First Generation ANA Holder containing Double Eagle

jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I would like to know if this holder from around 1989/1990 would hold any premium and or if there is a census of surviving pcs. The holder is in relatively new shape with no cracks. Must have been in a collection for quite some time. Take a look and if anyone has any information on these it would be appreciated. Thanks Zack.

Comments

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ANACS population report doesn't differentiate the age of the holder.

https://portal.anacs.com/Verify/CertVerification.aspx?cert=KP9712

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • mattnissmattniss Posts: 673 ✭✭✭✭

Generally, I wouldn't expect any massive premiums here. There's definitely some collectors out there who specialize in collecting ANA slabs. My guess is that those collectors might pay a small premium, but of course it always depends on the coin in the holder. Not aware of any ANA slab-specific census unless someone has been maintaining one privately.

• ToreyTorey Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Should be an easy sale in that holder, but not a crazy high premium. Expensive coins can shrink the premium percentage that the plastic brings.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2024 12:23PM

It’s very nice for the grade. Somebody years ago picked out a nice coin.

Coins & Currency
  • Generation 1 (Type 11)- Uncommon.

Produced from Feb 1989 - Jun 1990. It is ANACS’ 11th Generation of certification following the 10 generations of Photo Certificates. This holder is the 1st generation slab style holder issued by the ANA prior to being purchased by Amos Publishing and being re-labeled ANACS.

Taken from-- https://oldslabholders.com/anacs-cert-and-slab-generations

• I buy and sell ANA Holder coins on ebay.....mostly common date morgan dollars.....sell ms63, ms64 and ms65....these ana holder coins bring more $$$$ than cacg, pcgs, and ngc....sold one customer 15 last weekend....more interest in old ANA holder coins than any other....i would ask a premium if i owned it..that's my experience and other might be different....

• ToreyTorey Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

@oldslab said:
    I buy and sell ANA Holder coins on ebay.....mostly common date morgan dollars.....sell ms63, ms64 and ms65....these ana holder coins bring more $$$$ than cacg, pcgs, and ngc....sold one customer 15 last weekend....more interest in old ANA holder coins than any other....i would ask a premium if i owned it..that's my experience and other might be different....

Your statement is wrong unless you are trying to compare first-generation ANA slabs to the newer PCGS/NGC holders? I know the ANA holders sell well, but they won't hold a candle to a Doily, Regency, 108 white rattler, NGC 1.0, 2.0, or 2.1.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

She is a darling!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2024 2:47PM

Nice coin and holder certainly worth a premium, how much will depend on you finding the right buyer. I collect old holders like several others here and the old school ANA holders are sought after to some degree, but they are not crazy rare, certainly not in the same class as an NGC white label, black core, or an early PCGS rattler. I own 5 of these first gen holders myself, none with a gold coin.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just joking (kind of), but I'd pay $21 for it. That's a 5% premium.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently spared one of those 1st gen holders. Instead of crossing over an 1859-S SLH in ANA VF30, I bought another in PCGS EF40. I did have to cross over two small later generation holders, which I didn't want to do because I live the small holders. ANACS should bring them back.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • @Torey said:

@oldslab said:
    I buy and sell ANA Holder coins on ebay.....mostly common date morgan dollars.....sell ms63, ms64 and ms65....these ana holder coins bring more $$$$ than cacg, pcgs, and ngc....sold one customer 15 last weekend....more interest in old ANA holder coins than any other....i would ask a premium if i owned it..that's my experience and other might be different....

Your statement is wrong unless you are trying to compare first-generation ANA slabs to the newer PCGS/NGC holders? I know the ANA holders sell well, but they won't hold a candle to a Doily, Regency, 108 white rattler, NGC 1.0, 2.0, or 2.1.

You are correct....I just sold a 1881-S MS65 Doily Morgan for $675 last week on ebay...saw a Regency holder bring crazy money at great collections....another seller on ebay asking $695 for common date ANA holder morgan MS65.....
    not sure he will get that...i bought common date ms65 ratters in 1989 for $365 each (they went to almost $900) sold all those on ebay a few months back got $249 each.....agree not hold a candle to but they sure are popular!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file