Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Burbank Sports Card Convention comments.

Yankees70Yankees70 Posts: 265 ✭✭✭

I attended the Burbank Card show last Friday. The show took place over four days at the Anaheim Convention Center which is across the street from Disneyland. I'm guessing there was over 700 tables and the place was packed with people. My buddy from Oregon joined me which is the first convention we have gone to together since the early 80's. We were both big collectors back then but both of us sold our collections when we got married in the 90's and were out of the hobby for decades. It worked out well since we both married great ladies.

We had a great time as it brought back a lot of nice memories but we were both disappointed with the quality/quantity of 1970 hall of famers in PSA 8/9 condition. My buddy is building a high grade 1973 Topps baseball set. He's buying the hall of famers in PSA 8 condition and collecting the commons in raw condition (NM-MT or better centered). He has most of the hall of famers and was hoping to find a PSA 8 (centered) Mike Schmidt and Willy Mays. These are the two keys cards he still needs. We went table to table on Friday which took us 6 hours and there was not one 1973 Mays in PSA 8 or 9 for sale. Not one. We did find two 1973 Schmidt rookies in PSA 8 but both were in old slabs and both were off center. Regarding the rest of the 73's there was not one hall of famer for sale in PSA 8 or 9 condition in the entire convention.

The same goes for the rest of the 1970 Hall of Famers in PSA 8/9 condition. There was about 20-30 sellers that had ample vintage cards for sale. One seller was asking 200K for a 1956 Topps Mantle in PSA 9 condition. But 95% of the vintage cards for sale were PSA 4-6. The only 1970 hall of famers that were for sale in PSA 8/9 condition were a handful of 1970 Topps cards and three or four 1975 George Brett cards. That was it. There was not one 1978 Molitor or Murray rookie for sale (PSA 8 or 9). No Ozzie Smith, no Dennis Eckersley or Dave Winfield rookies. Luckily I found a 1970 Munson rookie in PSA 8 which I purchased. I live in Southern California but I was born in New York and my dad raised me to be a huge Yankee fan. Munson is my all time favorite player.

In closing I'm not sure if this convention is an anomaly or a pattern? We both assumed there would be hundreds of 1970 Hall of Famers in PSA 8/9 condition for sale. I was positive going into the show that my buddy was going to get the 73 Schmidt and Mays that he has been looking for. Instead he did not purchase one 1973 card the entire day. Yes I know there's always EBAY but he was hoping to see the cards in person and after looking at ample examples he could get the best one.

Comments