Home U.S. Coin Forum

Box of… 10?

PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been constantly re-assessing my collection, as is tradition, and I’ve distilled what I enjoy about collecting to this; finding coins that are “the best” in some way. Not necessarily the rarest or the highest graded, but exceptional in some way to me, with some connection or unique combination of attributes such that I couldn’t imagine finding a better one.

So after years of pursuing completeness in a gold type set I am moving on to a “box-of-20” style of collecting. I am still trying to organize it in a loosely representative type set, but more inclusive than just gold. I am also trying to keep the collection to an overall budget.

Considering the above criteria, I’ve found that 20 coins is probably about double what I’m targeting.

If you had to pick only the top few coins from your collection, what would they be? Would you have a hard time picking them out or is it obvious?

If you were starting from scratch, which US coins would require representation in your box-of-10?

Here are a couple that will be in my box…

What would be in yours?

Comments

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're killing me!
    It just has to be both!
    But, gun to my head- I'd go with the Bust dollar.

peacockcoins

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't stop looking at your Draped Bust $1.....wow!!

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great start!

These are my favorites currently and it is possible I could reluctantly pare them down to 10:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/collectors-showcase/box-20/catberts-select/imagegallery/15651

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • lermishlermish Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2024 6:07PM

No surprise but that Bustie is beautiful. And we've talked about your HR quite a bit, it's of course great! I'm really excited to see your newps as they come along.

I could easily pick the top two for myself; $50 slug and 1799 $10.

After that, it gets tough and recency bias is tough to overcome. I adore my 57-S $20 and really like its sister $10. I would have to pick a couple of my Kobans but I don't know which. I'm very fond of my 1776 Double Louis d'Or as well.

But I don't know how I could pare down my T$s. Can I pick the set as one entry?

Starting a fresh US Box of 10, I would focus around predominantly gold. Probably something along the lines of small and large eagle draped gold, a better/key date eagle or half eagle each from S, CC, C, and D, three pioneers, and one absolutely killer trade dollar.

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the 1795 dollar. Saint is beautiful but it is common enough to be of less interest to me.

You need a nice half eagle for the short box...

And of course you should be displaying these in a custom-made tray!

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know that I could cut things down to ten, but I have often thought of a Bo20 and I could populate that pretty quickly.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• abbyme24abbyme24 Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2024 7:58PM

@PeakRarities said:
    I could have chosen one more, but the exotic hardwood tray you made me only has 9 slots 🤷 .

Incredible examples, not surprised one bit at the quality and rarity.

Side note, what light are you using?

Ah I was hoping for a desktop sized one in that style. I like how your coins looked in the videos I’ve seen under that light.

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2024 8:11PM

@abbyme24 said:
    Ah I was hoping for a desktop sized one in that style. I like how your coins looked in the videos I’ve seen under that light.

These have very good results. Recommended to me by @Crusty I think?

https://ottlite.com/

@lermish said:

@abbyme24 said:

These have very good results. Recommended to me by @Crusty I think?

https://ottlite.com/

Thanks! Looks like some great options here.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

All coins on this thread are super.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abbyme24 said:

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of using a ring light for videos. In some applications theyre good, specifically, when you have a coin with a thick crust and you want to show the color and pl surfaces. Otherwise I find that a typical desklamp with a 3000k bulb makes coins appear much more true to life in a video.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

@PeakRarities said:

@abbyme24 said:

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of using a ring light for videos. In some applications theyre good, specifically, when you have a coin with a thick crust and you want to show the color and pl surfaces. Otherwise I find that a typical desklamp with a 3000k bulb makes coins appear much more true to life in a video.

I find they’re decent for showing cartwheel luster but subpar for most other things. I’ve been experimenting with a few different lights but want to try a couple more types before I reshoot a ton of vids.

• PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

So DD you only have 1 more to go and you’re done? 😁 If I could make more of those trays faster I would start a tray-of-9 thread!

Copperindian I appreciate your commitment!

Breakdown yes I had the same thought process - HR Saints are not tough to find. BUT it is an iconic coin, and this one specifically is the first (and only) coin I have ever gotten stickered. So it makes me feel smart, and therefore it stays. 😆. Also there will be at least a couple $5s!

Catbert, great gallery thanks for sharing!!

Lermish you have lots of great options. I like the idea of a slug but sadly my budget won’t permit it. A couple others you mentioned are on my list!

@Pedzola If you sold your 1807 QE you would be positioned well for a slug, but Idk if you'd ever be able to forgive yourself since the 1807 is superb lol.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

Actually now that I mention it, where is the 1807!? That coin is worthy of your box o' 10.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

edited August 25, 2024 9:14PM

I always feel grateful to have the opportunity to buy an amazing coin. And sometimes you have to be on the other side of it, and let a great coin go.

My 1807 $2.5 was for sure a highlight of the collection, and I hope the next caretaker enjoys it as much as I did.

I don’t have 10 coins better. I probably don’t have 3 coins I like better. But it was a budget decision that I hope will put me in position to achieve my 10-coin goal in a different and more expedient way.

(Edit: but a slug is not in the plan)

@Pedzola said:
    I always feel grateful to have the opportunity to buy an amazing coin. And sometimes you have to be on the other side of it, and let a great coin go.

My 1807 $2.5 was for sure a highlight of the collection, and I hope the next caretaker enjoys it as much as I did.

I don’t have 10 coins better. I probably don’t have 3 coins I like better. But it was a budget decision that I hope will put me in position to achieve my 10-coin goal in a different and more expedient way.

(Edit: but a slug is not in the plan)

Ok, ok, but you cant blame us for trying :D

I very much look forward to your future additions!

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities Love your coins but there is something about that Norris that just grabs me by the balls (sorry for being crude, but it's the first thought that came to mind) :D:s

And @Copperindian Holy Cow, what a collection! Can you imagine doing such depth, type by type?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess I’m lucky, as I feel that almost all of my coins would be suitable for most boxes of 20.

Some really nice coins here. Thanks for sharing.

This thread has made me feel grateful. Thanks.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• M4MadnessM4Madness Posts: 226 ✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    I can't stop looking at your Draped Bust $1.....wow!!

Nor I, since I saw it in another thread. I don't own a draped bust dollar, but if I did, I'd want that one! No joke -- I only want a bust dollar if it has cleavage, and most XF45 and lower (where my budget lies) are flat-chested. Lol!

• HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a beautiful DE but I think I would go for the ‘95 dollar.
    You’re really disciplined to boil a collection down to ten coins, I sure couldn’t do it.
    Amazing, indeed.👍

Nice Gobrecht! Very cool look to it.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

For seated quarters it would be easy - The no motto San Francisco issues 1855-1865 (none minted in 1863). They turned out to be my favorite part of the set.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pedzola said:
    Nice Gobrecht! Very cool look to it.

Yes, this is amazing!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file