Home U.S. Coin Forum

Jefferson Nickel: 1975-D "High D"

BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 25, 2024 4:49PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm a fan of Jefferson Varieties. Always on the hunt. This variety has been on my list for a long, long time. Probably even before it's popularity ballooned. A PCGS AU50 just hammered $830 on ebay. Thoughts on where this beauty might go? Can't wait for PCGS registry attribution status, if ever. Now on the hunt for a Full Step example!

Comments

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very rare variety, BD! Congratulations on acquiring it, if you do own it.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭

@RichieURich said:
    A very rare variety, BD! Congratulations on acquiring it, if you do own it.

RUR....All mine!

I need to pair this up with a MS66 1964-D/D RPM-001.

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigDowgie said:
    I need to pair this up with a MS66 1964-D/D RPM-001.

That variety's really tough to find also!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that is one rare coin. Does it have the obverse cud? I can't tell if it's masked by the prongs.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Hey Sean, no cud on this one! :)

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never heard of this one. With something like a mintmark that is highly placed on the die, it may just be hiding in plain sight, no? There has to be thousands of these struck.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool variety that I never knew existed until a couple of years ago. Nice coin!

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭

Q. David Bowers has championed this coin, I believe. There has been a photo of this in the annual Red Books for a few years, although there is no listing or price information on it there.

• LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

See, this is why I like this forum. I have never heard of this one, and probably wouldn't have, had it not been for these boards. Cool coin :)

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny how some series get gobs of collector attention for unusual mm position and other series are virtually ignored. Mintage of 401M for 1975-D nickels. As already mentioned, it seems reasonable to assume there has to be thousands of these 1975 "high D" nickels just waiting to be found. I'm think I'll buy a box of nickels from the bank today. Hundreds of dollars for a lightly circulated 1975 high D nickel on ebay? Thanks for the info. B)

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every time I see thread by newbie where they're all excited by a misplaced mintmark I think of this nickel. The standard response is that variations in placement during the days of hand punched mintmarks are of no added value. But there are exceptions to that rule. ;)

• scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2024 10:31AM

Very interesting! I found an XF-40 that sold for $1080 in 2022 at HA from the Fred Weinberg collection. NGC called it a "misplaced mintmark".

https://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/1975-d-5c-jefferson-nickel-misplaced-mintmark-high-xf40-ngc-ex-fred-weinberg-collection-from-the-fred-weinbe/a/1344-7699.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

I have seen an example of this 1973-D "Low D" on ebay. Maybe the next in line of desired misplaced mint marks in the Jefferson Series?

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Every time I see thread by newbie where they're all excited by a misplaced mintmark I think of this nickel. The standard response is that variations in placement during the days of hand punched mintmarks are of no added value. But there are exceptions to that rule. ;)

Red Book says "commands a premium." Not a hint there about how much of a premium. Found out today when I was at the bank that boxes of coins are no longer available to regular customers. Can't even special order them from the Federal Reserve Bank anymore. "Costs us (the bank) too much money," I'm told.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1931S said:

@JBK said:

Red Book says "commands a premium." Not a hint there about how much of a premium. Found out today when I was at the bank that boxes of coins are no longer available to regular customers. Can't even special order them from the Federal Reserve Bank anymore. "Costs us (the bank) too much money," I'm told.

Seems harsche.

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigDowgie said:
    I have seen an example of this 1973-D "Low D" on ebay. Maybe the next in line of desired misplaced mint marks in the Jefferson Series?

I mentioned this in another thread on this variety, but I picked up a clipped example last year that was not attributed and did not attract much attention at all. I honestly think the mintmark position is not so unusual compared to the rest of the mintage that it would attract the same sort of collector interest as the 1975-D with close D.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Sean,

That will be pretty cool if this 1973-D Low D were to become a variety! You would have an Error-Variety!

Though part of my nickel hunting has always included looking for Error-Varieties, I have not found one yet!

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Check out the opposite end of the spectrum, the 1973 "low D."

Sold also from the Fred Weimnerg Collection, but for only $216 in AU55

Seems like:Low mm,low price. High mm high price.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1931S said:
    Funny how some series get gobs of collector attention for unusual mm position and other series are virtually ignored. Mintage of 401M for 1975-D nickels. As already mentioned, it seems reasonable to assume there has to be thousands of these 1975 "high D" nickels just waiting to be found. I'm think I'll buy a box of nickels from the bank today. Hundreds of dollars for a lightly circulated 1975 high D nickel on ebay? Thanks for the info. B)

This variety is available with a cud and the dies are not late die state when it has the cud. This tells me the dies were used for far fewer strikes than normal before the obverse die broke and was promptly pitched. Take the average coins per die pair for nickels the 70s ( @BigDowgie do you know this number?) and reduce it by at least half and that's going to be close to how many were made. Now factor in wear and attrition over the past 50 years and you really don't have a lot of these to be found in the wild.

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think naked eye die variances form the late 20th cen as a collector niche will come into vogue in the future as computers all but eliminate such variances. It takes human inconsistency to create those and that is the foundation of artisan craftsmanship opposed to simple, mechanical output. Just as our generation appreciates when you can tell every die pair apart for the early stuff, I think future collectors will appreciate any die specific uniqueness such as these.

Cool coins

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

The low D, 73-d looks relatively common based on a very short search for one that I made! It appears to be available in Mint sets. The 75-d is pretty neat! Never heard of it before.

@messydesk said:

@mr1931S said:

This variety is available with a cud and the dies are not late die state when it has the cud. This tells me the dies were used for far fewer strikes than normal before the obverse die broke and was promptly pitched. Take the average coins per die pair for nickels the 70s ( @BigDowgie do you know this number?) and reduce it by at least half and that's going to be close to how many were made. Now factor in wear and attrition over the past 50 years and you really don't have a lot of these to be found in the wild.

Massydesk,
    I did a little searching for die production numbers for modern Jeffersons and was not successful. I found a typical dime die produces roughly 275,000 coins. My guess would be the nickel production is way less than this. Let's say it is 150,000. We should assume at present, there is only one die until a few more examples can be examined, your cud observation seems reasonable that this die cracked early in its use. This could bring the actual production on this die to 25,00 to 50,000. With nothing super special going on with the Denver Mint 70's production, this date probably went into circulation without any thoughts otherwise. This also supports the fact that I have never seen an original roll of 1975-D's for sale. There just might not ben very many MS examples out there. Just my thoughts.

• Dug13Dug13 Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

Wall of HONOR transaction list:WonderCoin, CoinFlip, Masscrew, Travintiques, lordmarcovan, Jinx86, Gerard, ElKevvo

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file