Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Brand new1990's Marvel Cards

Hey guys, I just decided to open my box of 1990's Marvel cards. Seems I got quite a few that would be worth a lot of money of they make it to PSA 10, but I have been told by other collectors that its not worth the money. Can I have some opinions here please? I am a virgin and card trading! Thanks :)

Comments

• Yankees70Yankees70 Posts: 324 ✭✭✭

Please post some photos of the best conditioned cards. That will help.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards!

Let's see what you have.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2024 3:36PM

1990 Marvel Universe is PSA 10 or bust for most cards... Barely breakeven at a PSA 9 on some cards and still a loss on the rest.

PSA 9 https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/non-sport-cards/1990-marvel-universe/41489#g=9

PSA 10 https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/non-sport-cards/1990-marvel-universe/41489#g=10

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, hello, how are ya?....welcome.... :)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hologram photos please.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2024 7:25PM

In a Box if you are very very very lucky you will have 2-3 10's. Most boxes will have less. Centering is a HUGE problem on the 1990 Impel's . For most cards in the set the current FMV of PSA9 is less than the total grading cost (grading+insurance+shipping).

P.S. keep in mind getting a PSA 10 is now more difficult than it has ever been.

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• Here are a few

• By the way, thanks for the welcome! :)

edited August 22, 2024 12:48PM

looking at the sub worthy character cards:

Wolverine (regular) - too o/c for a 10, an 8 max
    Wolverine (mini series cover) - color flake or white print error/spot in top left area. 6-7 if flake, 8 if print error
    Spidey black costume - looks very nice but from the back especially looks like 1-2 soft corners - likley 8-9
    Deadpool - centering and color flake or white print error/spot in top right area. 6-7 if flake, 8 if print error
    Stan - looks very nice but from the back especially looks like 1-2 soft corners - likley 8-9

IMHO none worth submitting.

Please the holograms are very difficult to gauge from a pic, keep in mind on cards like that PSA is brutally harsh on any surface scratches/lines.

• junkwaxgemsjunkwaxgems Posts: 247 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately, not a 10 in there

fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems

The main reason some of these junk wax era print to they ran out trees Impel Cards command a couple of hundred or so $'s is 10's are extremely difficult.

• lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

That had to be a fun box. I used to love opening packs of those!

• @82FootballWaxMemorys said:

Wolverine (mini series cover) - color flake or white print error/spot in top left area. 6-7 if flake, 8 if print error
    Spidey black costume - looks very nice but from the back especially looks like 1-2 soft corners - likley 8-9
    Deadpool - centering and color flake or white print error/spot in top right area. 6-7 if flake, 8 if print error
    Stan - looks very nice but from the back especially looks like 1-2 soft corners - likley 8-9

Please the holograms are very difficult to gauge from a pic, keep in mind on cards like that PSA is brutally harsh on any surface scratches/lines.

Wow, you guys are great and especially you. I will take the time with better lighting if you don't mind and put them. I need to take pictures of each anyway for www.pricecharting.com where I added them all while opening, to keep track.

None should have soft edges except 1 that I bent and its in the cheaper cards, unless they were printed with the bad edges. I used gloves on the holograph, so shouldn't be any trace of anything. But it's not centered, that's for sure and that is really suck ass. Ill take a picture with no direct lighting and the plastic off and I'd love your opinions.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate! I am so down on money, I really need to find a way to make some back. I also have about 2k comics that are in bags that I might give a try on selling. First print Todd mcfarllene spiderman 1, I think I have 3-4 bagged. Maybe that is worth something

@Remy said:

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:

Wow, you guys are great and especially you. I will take the time with better lighting if you don't mind and put them. I need to take pictures of each anyway for www.pricecharting.com where I added them all while opening, to keep track.

None should have soft edges except 1 that I bent and its in the cheaper cards, unless they were printed with the bad edges. I used gloves on the holograph, so shouldn't be any trace of anything. But it's not centered, that's for sure and that is really suck ass. Ill take a picture with no direct lighting and the plastic off and I'd love your opinions.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate! I am so down on money, I really need to find a way to make some back. I also have about 2k comics that are in bags that I might give a try on selling. First print Todd mcfarllene spiderman 1, I think I have 3-4 bagged. Maybe that is worth something

Thanks for the kind words.

Sadly the books you mentioned are "glut era" which is the Comic Book equivalent of "Junk Wax". 9.8's (in effect comic equivalent of a PSA 10) are abundantly plentiful. 9.9/10.0's are hitting the power-ball type odds - no kidding. A 9.8 will put you in the green but only many of those books not by much, a 9.6 you are negative and 9.4 or lower is worth less than TP.

I strongly advise you to check out ebay or better 130point for sales from the last 90 days and ignore asking prices.

Apologies for my bluntness but if you are need of cash I'd hate you to lose money by sinking it into grading fees +associated round trip shipping. Like w/cards the time to sell the glut/junk stuff was from 2020-mid 2022.

Perhaps raw on a venue like Facebook or Craigslist is best way to get most profit vs expense ?