Home U.S. Coin Forum

A very special Large Cents album shared with me recently...

KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 20, 2024 6:43PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Long story short, I work in Human Services and get to assist a lot of Veterans with training, careers, and supportive services. Arguably, I don't assist them as much as our VSOs (Veteran Service Officers) do. They are just some amazing people.

One VSO who I've worked along with for the last 4 years or so is a Lieutenant Colonel and less than a year away from retirement. She is a Chaplain among other things and loves coins although not a serious collector. A couple years ago when she found out I'm a coin person she brought in her Lincoln Cents album to share with me. The story is that it's one of the few ways she actually connected closely with her father when she was young. They would get coin rolls and go to shops and work on the album together, it's mostly complete. Her father passed away around 2005 and she keeps it as a warm momento of those wonderful times bonding with her Dad. She doesn't want to add to the album because it's as it was when he passed.

A couple weeks ago she came to me at work and told me she brought something very special to show me. She explained that her Dad was a fairly serious collector and although they worked on the Lincoln album together there was an album she and her sibling were not allowed to touch when they were growing up. Her older brother was not in to coins and so when her Dad passed she ended up with the other album. She hadn't mentioned it before. She just pulled it out of a shopping bag and said she wanted to share it because I would probably appreciate it at the level her Dad did.

She was right. Made my eyes watered up. I truly enjoyed every bit of it. She was excited about it and when I asked and told I could take photos and share it with the community. Sorry, office lighting.

I was kind of in awe of it know how much she loves being the caretaker of it and seeing that her Dad was indeed a pretty informed collector. She believes her Dad stopped working on it in the early 2000s. I got to explain to her what a "crack out" is and what the difference between red and brown is and what luster refers to.
I am absolutely no expert of any kind regarding large cents, I only have a few in my collection that are nothing very special.

I promised to share this with the forum for her and report back if the large cent folks notice anything very special or have something they would like to share with her. Also...to the Vets in here and elsewhere (and my Grandfather R.I.P.), Thank you sincerely for your service.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

Comments

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story. Beautiful group of Large Cents & a fabulous momento!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a nice collection. Such nice coins. Her father was a true collector. Thank her for allowing us to view her treasure, as it would be mine in the same instance. I'm sure Shawn will remember him. She should contact him and let him know that she is keeping it as a memorial, I feel sure Shawn would want to know and might share a memorable moment of his with her father. Just an idea.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

That told a great story

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for taking time to share this! Nice collection :)

K

ANA LM
  • carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice collection. Sorry to remember that Doug Bird passed away in January of last year.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some nice old copper there.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, awesome moment to connect on the coin level and soak in good memories. Those coins are very nice compared to the typical dansco large cent albums I see, quite a few dazzlers!

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice story and coins, something she will have forever

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2024 10:31PM

Awesome! Much higher quality coins than I expected when I first opened the thread.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many superb coins in that album! Looks like a cool set by a thoughtful collector. Cool story!

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful story and a really nice collection of lg. cents. Some issues, but overall above average condition. Great memories shared with her father. What a fantastic keepsake for her to pass down.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would savor studying each cent. Thanks for sharing this touching experience. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing. There are some very nice and desirable Large Cents in that album. Your grandfather was quite proud of his set I am sure! The 1842 Small Date is a tough one!

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing a great story. The pieces look awesome in the album.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coins! I wonder if he promised to sell it to Mr. Bird.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool story and large cent collection. I notice the taped page on the back of the cover and want to let you know Doug Bird passed away last year.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool story and large cent collection. I notice the taped page on the back of the cover and want to let you know Doug Bird passed away last year.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Wow, what a great story and a great collection.
    I got many of my large cents from Doug Bird. He always had nice stuff to sell.

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... Thanks for sharing! This collector had a really good eye! Some tougher issues too... the 1842 SD, and the 1843 Petite Head, Lg Letters... some really nice Middle Dates too!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll probably see her at work tomorrow and I'll pass along the wonderful sentiments from everyone!
    I'll show her this post too.
    Thank you sincerely everybody for the guidance and kind thoughts and words :smile:
    It's going to be fun to tell her that much more about them all and teach her a bit more about the conditions as well.

Thanks @jesbroken I'll let her know about Shawn and suggest that. I'll find out if she ever got to meet him before too.

@Walkerguy21D I appreciate you telling me what you spotted! I'm going to show her some stuff in her Red Book :smile:

@carabonnair Sad news, I'll let her know about Doug Bird. I'll ask her if she ever met him before.

@RLSnapper Thanks for letting me know about that one!

@CRHer700 I think she mentioned that her Dad was letting her or her brother know where they could sell the collection if they wanted to. She would never sell it though :blush:

@lkenefic Thanks for the heads up on those too.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

wonderful thread....thanks!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2024 5:23AM

** Walkerguy21D I appreciate you telling me what you spotted! I'm going to show her some stuff in her Red Book :smile:**

If she would like more information as far as variety attribution, grade estimates, or approximate value on any or all of the cents, I’d be happy to help. I would need better photos though.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

... also I'd check out the 1834 Lg 8, Lg Stars, Medium Letters... that's about the toughest issue of the Middle Dates that's not an over date...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice including slab labels and recommendation for selling collection.

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing! There are some nice coins there, for sure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file