Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gifts from a friend... how would you preserve?

NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 20, 2024 3:19PM in U.S. Coin Forum

At last night's local coin club meeting, as friend gave me two colonial coins as a "thank you" for helping him get a coin he needed for his set. Both of them are very cool.

One is a 1777 8 Reales from Mexico City (MO). It has lots of interesting chop marks.

The other is a 1775 Britannia. It has a lot of meat on the coin, but there is some old, dark verdigris that I am not sure what to do with. It appears to be stable but does anyone have suggestions on it?

Also, any help in attributing varieties would be great. These are my only two colonial coins, so I really don't know much at all.

Thanks in advance (and sorry about the knee hair in the background of the Reales :s )

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

Comments

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

The British halfpenny is actually a contemporary counterfeit - notice the crude "Britannia" on the reverse. The 8 reales travelled across the Pacific a few times but saw a long service in Asia.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    The British halfpenny is actually a contemporary counterfeit - notice the crude "Britannia" on the reverse.

Woah - that's fun! Is it a better known contemporary counterfeit? Any idea of where it was made?

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would put them both in a 2X2 or Kointain and enjoy them for what they are.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

i've never dealt with a piece like the halfpenny

the 8 reales is ok as is

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • lermishlermish Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

The British Halfpenny counterfeits were made in both England and the colonies. Newburgh, NY was the site of Machin's Mills who struck coinage for the colonies under contract and counterfeit British Halfpennies. Bob Vlack cataloged the Machins Mills counterfeits, so it may be possible to identify the specific dies, but this is beyond my pay grade.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

So far as the verdigris on the halfpenny ... just leave it as it is. It does not look overly bad and any attempt to "improve" it would probably make it look worse.

All glory is fleeting.

@sellitstore said:
    Bob Vlack cataloged the Machins Mills counterfeits, so it may be possible to identify the specific dies, but this is beyond my pay grade.

Does anyone know if Bob participates on the forums? Does anyone have his contact information? I would be really interested to understand what my little "halfpenny" is. Very cool!

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

The PCGS Coin Facts site has a section on Machin's Mills coins which are slabbed by PCGS. You may find one that matches your coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

PCGS only shows one variety of the Machins Mills halfpenny for the 1775 date. No match :(

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

As they are from a friend, I would have them both entombed. Doesn't really matter who, but encased for protection.
    Jus' sayin'.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

I just may do that. I actually really like them both. I wish I could understand which halfpenny counterfeit I have. I have been all over the interweb, and nothing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file