Home U.S. Coin Forum

Well, decided to try PCGS Restoration Services...

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 20, 2024 11:10PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I pulled my 1837 Reeded Edge Bust Half Dollar from my 7070 and thought maybe they could remove the black spots. I felt sure it had been cleaned, but now I know it has been cleaned. I've used NGC twice with great results. Here are the results.
Jim

BEFORE RESTORATION

AFTER RESTORATION

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• anablepanablep Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh dear

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

It IS lighter. But restored?

Vplite99
  • NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry @jesbroken. I also like the before coin better.

It looks like someone at PCGS lied during their job interview. I would be happy to give them my namesake.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't trust the TrueView to be what the coin really looks like.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not think that they helped your coin.

• AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

With the advantage of hindsight looks like environmental damage under the black areas

• could just be the picture but the hat and hair now show greater detail

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well here's hoping it comes back like it was sent and the photos are just typical terrible photos.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

are that scratches in front of the neck?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    I do not think that they helped your coin.

Interesting post.
    I submitted a ~$2k coin to PCGS at Winter Fun for restoration, hoping it had a shot at improving the luster and eye appeal and boosting the grade from 55 to 58. Total cost was $83, and they didn’t touch it. Assumed they evaluated it, decided to leave it be, and charged me for the effort. I was a little annoyed, but got over it.
    Seeing this result has me thanking my lucky stars!

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭

Black streaks like that are IMO not gonna come out. The coin already was probably victim of a light cleaning beforehand, I think you were better off leaving it alone.

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to see the result is not what you were hoping for.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing your results!

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I would’ve left that one alone.. :#

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually prefer the BEFORE, myself.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭✭

Derek

EAC 6024
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you have the coin back and in-hand? I find it hard to believe that PCGS would do that to a coin.

GrandAm :)
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, just got the notice of completion with a tracking # but usps doesn't have it inhand as of yet. So probably a week before it returns. Hopefully, the photos just suck and it looks like it did before. I hope, but doubt. Thanks for all your interest and comments.
    Jim

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

BHNC #248 … 130 and counting.

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2024 8:02PM

Did it really matter, Before a give it a 4 out of 10 and now a 2 out of 10. All you did was throw a few bucks over to our hosts, and that's that. On the bright side this experiment of yours taught me a very valuable lesson, and that is never use their restoration services. So your expense was well worth it imo

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they sent it through “ desecration” services, not “restoration “ services. Thats another department.

HE>I

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was beyond saving.

Coins & Currency
  • MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the problems that folks have reported with the trueviews, I’d recommend withholding judgment until you see the coin in hand.

The coin might not have even been touched, and if it was, it might not look as bad in hand. Fingers crossed for you!

This discussion has been closed.