Home U.S. Coin Forum

1841-O Seated Dime Die marriage

I won an 1841-o Seated Dime NGC 45 in the most recent Great Collections auction. I think I have identified it as Fortin 110. The date position and the mintmark position match. Fortin also has a picture showing enhanced die cracks on the reverse die. I can match 3 different die cracks that run from the rim thru some of the lettering. I have a faint die crack that runs thru the left side of the letter "U" in United. I have a die crack that runs from the rim thru the second letter "T" in States. I have a die crack that runs from the rim thru the left side of the letter "I" in America. Here is where the problem starts. Fortin in his description for this die marriage says, "Die cracks all appearing to originate from the center point of the die than outwards to the rim."
I have studied every speck of this coin. there are NO visible die cracks on the reverse except for along the rim. There I have found the 3 mentioned plus a few others. I can find no other die marriage that matches the Date style and position, the mintmark size and position plus 3 specific die cracks. It is my guess that my coin must be a very early example. I think the die cracks must have run from both directions, Something like how the Trans pacific Railroad was built. Tiny rim cracks merged with the larger die cracks that later formed in the center of the reverse die. If someone knows a different answer or thinks i have the wrong die marriage please let me know. I tried but failed to post a picture from the auction site, but to be honest the die cracks are so small it is almost impossible to see them under the toning. any feedback appreciated. James

Comments

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough without photos and that is all I will say about it

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2024 11:01PM

from
    https://www.seateddimevarieties.com/date_mintmark/1841o_110page.htm

Gerry's enhanced die cracks overlay shows pretty much the same as you describe -
    cracks from the rim into the letters and wreath, and not in the center.
    His description "appearing to originate from the center point" is not consistent with his diagram,
    although the word "appearing" is subject to interpretation.
    But maybe it is a way of describing their "radial" orientation.

Cool coin. I like die cracks.

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭

Yes @yosclimber . i love die cracks they make identifying coins so much easier.
    This is the first coin I have ever heard of where the origin point of the die cracks are mentioned.
    @RobertScottLover. The coin can be easily seen in the archives at Great Collections. It is the 1841-O that sold in the last auction. The problem is that I have the coin in hand and because of the toning I can't even see the die cracks in the photo. To see the die cracks I have to tilt the coin under a bright light and use 20Xmagnification. You can't do any of that with a picture. I still have the same question though. Can a die crack have more than one origin point? I don't know. does anyone ? James

• ShurkeShurke Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 said:
    Can a die crack have more than one origin point? I don't know. does anyone ? James

It seems feasible that a bisecting die crack could start as two separate cracks that eventually meet in the middle.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2024 9:28PM

... This is the first coin I have ever heard of where the origin point of the die cracks are mentioned. ...

I think what Gerry is trying to say is that (most of) the die cracks point toward the center.
    It is not true of the crack through M.

I suppose it is possible that most of the die cracks meet in the center, but are extremely small there.
    However, there is no actual evidence for this.

He says some other things for the 1841-o F-110 which are slightly inaccurate:

The die cracks line up as pairs across the reverse die and are equally spaced throughout the circumference of the die.

4 of the 7 are paired in this way.
    They are not truly equally spaced; there is a big gap on the lower right.

from
    https://www.seateddimevarieties.com/date_mintmark/1839_105cpage.htm
    I like his terminology "pie shaped" for some of the early shattered dies that do meet in the center.

It's true that die cracks are hard to see in most photos, and on a toned coin.
    The best die crack photos have a light at an extreme angle from the side,
    so that one side of the die crack becomes bright and the other side casts a shadow.
    It helps to have the coin out of its holder to do this as well.

My favorite way to view die cracks is with a stereo microscope.
    My dad gave me his, and I really enjoy using it for this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file