Home U.S. Coin Forum

I paid two times CAC price guide for this 1843 Petite Head Large letters LC at DLRC Auction

RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of the ones I have been looking for, for years. When I saw her I went to the mat for her. Sometimes you gotta pay up. Opinions on the coin are welcomed...opinions on paying up are welcomed as well. Congratulations to the consignor.

Comments

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

You definitely have to pay up when something does not come around often. Congrats on the addition!

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one! Paying up is relative, especially if it’s a coin you want & is tough to come by.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice example of a tough and under rated major variety.

I have no idea what the CAC price guide value is, but imo both the CPG and PCGS price guides are way off on this coin. I’d easily pay full price guide for any AU or Unc example that comes up, but with so few certified I probably won’t have the chance. My raw VF+ fills the slot for now.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on a splendid pick up!

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:
    Only 13 with a CAC, yes, time to go overboard........
    Nice pickup

Even worse, out of 3,102 BN Baided Hairs with green stickers and 97 with gold stickers, only 11 greens in VF30 plus one gold. Your coin was the only VF30 1943 Petite Head Large Letters and the next available grade was one VF40 at double the price. What can you do?

How many other bids were there? :smile:

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way cool score, I like 👍

• MASSU2MASSU2 Posts: 260 ✭✭✭✭

Nice pick up, this one's a difficult variety to find in decent grades. It took me a while to pull the trigger on one that I liked.

• RodentmanRodentman Posts: 85 ✭✭✭

It's worth what you are willing to pay! I have "overpaid" for items as well. We are happy. Goal achieved.

• epcepc Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭

When I was collecting Large Cents, I wasn't collecting varieties; just one per date. Of course, I got a Small Letters. Here are my pics for comparison of the lettering.

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• jedmjedm Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great addition to a large cent variety set for sure!

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2024 5:00PM

Yes one has to get in the game and pay up. I sure do for some I really like.

Coins & Currency
  • PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Yes one has to get in the game and pay up. I sure do for some I really like.

Ok, who are you and what have you done with @Cougar1978?

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2024 5:43PM

PCGS Population of the Large Letters is around 1/4 of the Small Letters,
    so it seems that the Price Guide factor of 2 between them is not enough....
    More like 4 that you paid.

Of course, just a population ratio like this is not enough to always be reflected in the price guide.
    That is just the Supply side, and it also takes Demand.
    And Demand (at least one other collector willing to pay a premium for that variety) was present at the auction!

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my N-11 for comparison

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file