Home U.S. Coin Forum

Green spot question

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking at this coin, but then I saw the green spot between 2 and 3 o'clock. Do you think it is stable?

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's probably stable. Keep an eye on it. If you don't see any change to it after several months you can assume it's stable.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2024 6:33AM

Do you own it or want to buy it? If buying I would do so with the intent to send it back to NGC unless they can confirm that it isn't from PVC. If you own it then same thing.

theknowitalltroll;
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was considering bidding on it. The spot plus the gash on the neck gives me enough pause to get a second opinion.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it doesn't bother you to own a coin with a defect for the right price then go for it. What does the seller say/know about the green spot?

theknowitalltroll;
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it looks stable. It's the bright green ones that you have to watch and/or treat.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a great believer in that allmost every near 200 year old coin will have defects(wear or damage), but PVC is a never for me. Every time you look at that coin will immediately draw your attention to that spot and the gash. Unless the coin was nearly irreplaceable or a variety extremely hard to come by, I would pass. Best of luck.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

The knife cut across the neck kills it for me

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2024 8:36PM

Too many issues, keep looking
    Don't let someone elses problem become your problem

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has other problems besides the spot - pass.

Coins & Currency
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

its good to check here when in doubt, fwiw

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2024 10:29AM

@sellitstore said:
    Yes, it looks stable. It's the bright green ones that you have to watch and/or treat.

PVC crud has to be treated in any color. It can be pale, red, green, or a brown or black crust of acid, dirt and oils. When in doubt, dip with acetone. The black ones are usually sitting on top of a pit of their creation.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2024 10:19PM

I would not bid on it. IMO it’s a details coin. Not a buyer of problem coins. Did it go bad in the holder? I know of a problem coin dealer he picks them up at 40-50 pct CDN bid.

Coins & Currency

@Barberian said:

@sellitstore said:

PVC crud has to be treated in any color. It can be pale, red, green, or a brown or black crust of acid, dirt and oils. When in doubt, dip with acetone. The black ones are usually sitting on top of a pit of their creation.

This definitely does not look like PVC crud to me. PVC leaves a slimy film.

Crud, yes, PVC?, why do you think that this is PVC? I don't see PVC but would buy it PVC or not. No PVC damage on this one and anything that may be there can be removed with acetone before damage occurs. PVC paranoia.

And I'd buy it....at a price. If it were offered to me for $20, I'd be a fool not to buy it, so the question really becomes what is it worth. We already know that some wouldn't buy it at any price, but who cares about them? What is really relevant is who would buy it and at what price. Because I wouldn't be the only buyer here at $20...or even $30.... do I hear $40? And I don't buy coins anymore (yeah, right). At the right price, sure I'd buy this coin.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

@Cougar1978 said:
    I would not bid on it. IMO it’s a details coin. Not a buyer of problem coins. Did it go bad in the holder? I know of a problem coin dealer he picks them up at 40-50 pct CDN bid.

Plenty of dealers would gladly pay 20-25% of bid for damaged coins if they were pretty sure that their buyer would gladly pay 40-50%. Is doubling your money not enough profit for you to bother or do you just avoid damaged material on principle? You are certainly allowed to limit the material in which you deal but there will always be other dealers and collectors who regularly prefer damaged material due to the discounted prices. So, the fact that many would not be interested in this coin is really just repeating the obvious.

My limited experience with ancients really schooled me on what types of corrosion that you need to worry about. The brighter green powdery kind is active bronze pest and that's the one to be concerned about. Corrosion is not an issue with this coin. The crusty original toning is attractive and the surfaces look good to me, except the scratch, which doesn't bother me as much as others, but I'd discount the coin for this problem.

What percentage of wholesale bid would you pay for this coin?

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a coin with problems that will only look worse the longer the owner holds it. Pass.

All glory is fleeting.
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2024 10:44AM

@sellitstore said:

@Barberian said:

@sellitstore said:

This definitely does not look like PVC crud to me. PVC leaves a slimy film.

Crud, yes, PVC?, why do you think that this is PVC? I don't see PVC but would buy it PVC or not. No PVC damage on this one and anything that may be there can be removed with acetone before damage occurs. PVC paranoia.

And I'd buy it....at a price. If it were offered to me for $20, I'd be a fool not to buy it, so the question really becomes what is it worth. We already know that some wouldn't buy it at any price, but who cares about them? What is really relevant is who would buy it and at what price. Because I wouldn't be the only buyer here at $20...or even $30.... do I hear $40? And I don't buy coins anymore (yeah, right). At the right price, sure I'd buy this coin.

I don't know if that spot is from cupric salts as I cannot see it well enough. I see your bright green cupric salts even on CAC coins. Note the light surfaces around the leave tip, claws, and letters where these salts have been removed.

Oftentimes when one removes the black crud around the devices it can expose etched or pitted surfaces. Below is the same coin before and after a long soak in acetone and dislodging crud with cat whiskers. I have one coin that had PVC damage from being in a soft flip for decades that didn't show any visible film on the coin aside from the etching itself. I dip every coin I receive in acetone now.

3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file