Home U.S. Coin Forum

Capped Bust Half Dime Attribution Challenge - August 2024

BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 357 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the challenge I posted back in July, I said the next one would be tougher. This is - but it's certainly not impossible. The challenge is to identify the Logan-McCloskey (LM) id number for this 1830 half dime. (Yes, it's a 5c silver piece - even though the denomination is a little, um, thin).

How? Well, you can use EverythingHalfDimes.com. Or some folks have their own tools, and/or refer to the LM book "Federal Half Dimes 1792-1837." I even know of an app that's in beta now that should be a great tool when it rolls out widely.

Note: this one's on the 'bay right now. It says, "Condition: circulated" :smile:

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

Comments

• KiwiNumiKiwiNumi Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

What's the app you mentioned called?

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KiwiNumi I will share that info as soon as I've got it. Sadly, I'm not a beta tester since I own an Android phone and it currently runs on iPhones only. So it's not downloadable from the Apple or Play stores yet.

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obverse 5, Reverse M, LM-11

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

But I can’t see the half dime. It’s too small! 😝

LM-13

BHNC #248 … 130 and counting.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

LM-13. Star 7 position on the obverse, filled F on the reverse.

• I only have the 1931 Valentine book, it appears to be V-2.
    Could someone cross check that to a Logan-McCloskey number?

Member of Early American Coppers (EAC), American Numismatic Association (ANA), and Missouri Numismatic Society (MNS). Specializing in early American copper by die variety.

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

LM-17 die crack right above star 7

@Coins4Eli the V-2 is the same as LM-13.

I'll let this ride for the rest of today in case @jesbroken or @Cladiator or @yosclimber wanna get in on it. But the variety of answers proves that this one is tougher than the July challenge, so that's fun!

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, missed this post somehow, and you are right, Sean. Tough one. While I see small reasons it can't be LM-10,11,12, 13 or 14. I will settle with LM-13. While EHD.com say MERI touch and even though his photo shows the M & E do not touch, in reality they do not. So I will adhere to this guess. LM-13 even though I can not be sure the 8 and 3 are more distant at top.
    I truly look forward to @Cladiator and @yosclimber chipping in. Dang so many slight differences. Great pick, Sean.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2024 12:52PM

LM-13 also.

Using my replica chart.
    S2S-4
    SE-1
    so reverse M.

I am often not quite certain on S2S and SE, as it might be one of the adjacent ones.
    But the combination makes this simple. The nearby SEs are 5 and 4 which are not possible in the photo.
    So it has to be SE-1 and this confirms S2S-4 as well.

Obv: S6 and S7 are not distant.
    So this leaves only Obv 5 with Rev M, LM-13.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:
    LM-13 also.

Using my replica chart.
    S2S-4
    SE-1
    so reverse M.

I am often not quite certain on S2S and SE, as it might be one of the adjacent ones.
    But the combination makes this simple. The nearby SEs are 5 and 4 which are not possible in the photo.
    So it has to be SE-1 and this confirms S2S-4 as well.

Obv: S6 and S7 are not distant.
    So this leaves only Obv 5 with Rev M, LM-13.

So I had the Obverse and Reverse correctly in my answer above, but I somehow managed to put in the wrong LM number. I just confirmed it is indeed LM 13, alas.

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

LM-13. Easy one Sean; I just had to wait for @yosclimber to weigh in! (and others smarter than I am). I had no idea actually but your challenges are excellent!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

Bingo - LM-13 is what I got! I was a little worried when @spacehayduke came up with something different and I second-guessed myself (cuz he's a pretty smart cat). But I see he typo'd.

The LM-11 would have been interesting. It's a rarity-6 marriage. Of course, there's not a huge market for coins this worn, but owning something that's an R6 is rewarding in its own right!

I am sure my confirmation is anticlimactic after the good discussion above... but congrats to all who got it! Next month I'm going to try to find a tougher one...

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2024 3:50PM

A little late but I would have said LM-13 as well.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file