Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Question regarding PSA purchasing SGC.

Yankees70Yankees70 Posts: 263 ✭✭✭

I have read ample posts where collectors were cracking PSA slabs and sending them to SGC and receiving bumps of 1 to 2 grades. Is this still happening since PSA purchased SGC? My buddy is considering doing this with 40-50 vintage PSA cards but if he's going to receive the same grade on the majority of them because of the purchase I want to let him know.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

based on comments in other threads here PSA put an end to that.

Example see last 8-10 pages:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1084674/uffdah-s-ripping-journey-packs-and-vending-all-sports-and-non-sports#latest

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• Yankees70Yankees70 Posts: 263 ✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    based on comments in other threads here PSA put an end to that.

Example see last 8-10 pages:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1084674/uffdah-s-ripping-journey-packs-and-vending-all-sports-and-non-sports#latest

Thank you

• ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

How did PSA put an end to it? Did they fire all the graders are just tell them to lower the grade by one or two to what they would normally grade it.,

• olb31olb31 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it definitely tightened up a bit. I had one order hit right when SGC got bought out, and it was a very good order. My next order was a couple of months later, and it wasn't nearly as good. I thought they were really hard on the newer stuff, the 70's stuff was probably a tad tougher, but realistic.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • estangestang Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2024 12:33PM

If the objective of your company is to make money, then crossing over cards and/or re-holdering cards is a money-maker for them.

And if you're a late-adopter into grading, there's not an advantage to PSA/SGC to give you a generous grade, as it protects pricing and early-investors into their business model.

Prove me wrong...

FWIW, the VG/EX "4" by SGC looks generous to me. If you crack that same card out (must crack it out), I would bet my bottom-dollar it comes backs less than a "4". Queue the Larry David, Italian CYE music...

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

SGC seems to give better (and in my opinion, more reasonable/appropriate) grades for 90s refractors. While some I have crossed over from PSA to SGC received the same grade, many got grade bumps, including one that went from a PSA 5 to an SGC 9.5 (WTF), a few from PSA 7 to SGC 9, and one from PSA 8 to SGC 9.5

• Yankees70Yankees70 Posts: 263 ✭✭✭

@PNWcollector said:
    SGC seems to give better (and in my opinion, more reasonable/appropriate) grades for 90s refractors. While some I have crossed over from PSA to SGC received the same grade, many got grade bumps, including one that went from a PSA 5 to an SGC 9.5 (WTF), a few from PSA 7 to SGC 9, and one from PSA 8 to SGC 9.5

Have these grades occurred recently after PSA purchased SGC or before?

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yankees70 said:

@PNWcollector said:

Exactly you need data May 2024-present. What occurred prior is no longer relevant.

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

• PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

@Yankees70 said:

@PNWcollector said:

This was in April of this year.

• jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭

I asked if they were going to add something to the flip indicating the PSA purchase and Brent told me no.. If they added maybe some red and center the SGC or maybe a hologram and allowed us (from the purchase date) to add to the set registry I think they would get more attention..

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • olb31olb31 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

@estang said:
    If the objective of your company is to make money, then crossing over cards and/or re-holdering cards is a money-maker for them.

And if you're a late-adopter into grading, there's not an advantage to PSA/SGC to give you a generous grade, as it protects pricing and early-investors into their business model.

Prove me wrong...

FWIW, the VG/EX "4" by SGC looks generous to me. If you crack that same card out (must crack it out), I would bet my bottom-dollar it comes backs less than a "4". Queue the Larry David, Italian CYE music...

I think the goal is to get a grade that you feel like you deserve. I got a psa 6 on a Lynn SwANN ROOKIE, the card looked great to me, so I pooped it out and got an SGC 8. Still looks like a 9 to me. I may review it. But, back to my point, the card was not a 6, PEriod.

The more centered and no print marks you have on the card, the card should grade decent. (sharp croners, etc).

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

So this may be obvious but if you’re sending a PSA to SGC for a possible bump you must crack and do not do a crossover, correct?

• GrooGroo Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

@ElvisP said:
    So this may be obvious but if you’re sending a PSA to SGC for a possible bump you must crack and do not do a crossover, correct?

Logically that eliminates any potential bias'

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2024 7:05AM

But we all know sgc scans every card and stores the images. Psa does that as well now. Any chance they review these fingerprinted cards and figure out they have been graded by there other company? Especially a high dollar card.my guess is yes they do.

• BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:
    But we all know sgc scans every card and stores the images. Psa does that as well now. Any chance they review these fingerprinted cards and figure out they have been graded by there other company? Especially a high dollar card.my guess is yes they do.

Not arguing here, but just trying to figure out the practicalities.

I get it if it's a super-high end card with few (relatively) graded, but how does that happen on most of the market? Take a 78 Murray for example. There have been thousands graded so how does PSA confidently know which one they have that's been returned? They haven't graded all of them so it could come from a different grader. There are still lots of unopened so how do they confirm it's not from a box? Plus, how long would it take to compare to all the scans on file? Is it worth the time to do that?

Do they really do all that?

• RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 912 ✭✭✭✭✭

@handyman said:

If you believe the YouTube, there are many examples of serial numbered cards getting cracked and resubbed, even to the same company, and getting grade bumps.