Options
1886/86 S $5 Liberty Repunched Date
defcatnumismatics
Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
Good afternoon, everyone.
Came across this 1886 S $5 Liberty (PCGS MS62+) and noticed it has what looks like an RPD (RePunched Date). Seems to be similar to the variety listed over at NGC's Variety Plus (VP-002).

Since it's not an EXACT match for the variety over at NGC, was curious if anyone here collected/has researched $5 Liberty die varieties and could offer their knowledge for an attribution.
Probably going to post it over at CONECA to see if anyone there can add their thoughts.
Thank you!
Successful B/S/T transactions with: bigjpst, Crusty, MasonG, dcarr, justindan
4

Comments
It looks like a pretty good match to VP-002.
Both under digits are in the same position and the date position is the same.
Thank you for your reply!
According to their Census, there are only 2 graded examples (an AU50 and an MS63) - wonder if their reference photo is just a later die stage where the first date punch has worn off/broken off in the center?
Website
Successful B/S/T transactions with: bigjpst, Crusty, MasonG, dcarr, justindan
Die varieties can and do change with die wear.
FWIW, I do not remember ever seeing this repunched date during my professional life.
To be fair, I didn't know the variety existed before today, either - until I looked at the coin under a loupe.
Website
Successful B/S/T transactions with: bigjpst, Crusty, MasonG, dcarr, justindan
I love half Lib overdates & RPDs, the 81/0 was my first gold coin. Cool find
11.5$ Southern Dollars, The little “Big Easy” set