Home U.S. Coin Forum

Rim penny error x5

huntonthuntont Posts: 2
edited August 9, 2024 10:01PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Best description of rim? Rings obverse are spiraling and not concentric. Reverse rim broad but otherwise not affected. Edge is unaffected. Very circulated.

Comments

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damaged, not an error.

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing I can say for sure is that is an impressive die gouge on the reverse. I know of nothing in the minting process that could have caused the circles on the obverse rim. The date and obverse legends look a bit funky, maybe the metal displacement is related to whatever is going on with the rim.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Howdy and welcome.

Perhaps it spent part of its life in a keyring, lucky coin holder or piece of jewelry and what we are seeing along the rims is damage from the old holder.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• CregCreg Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. I like it, but my bar is low. Wrapping machines cause scratches like the ones on the rim. Hummingbird makes a good point as does Tom, who is mostly correct often. Your pictures are adequate (you did not overdo it). Die gouges like that sell on eBay for a few dollars, but buyer is willing to overlook the damage.
    Good luck.

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭

Can’t be an error, the rims are formed before the coin is struck.
    Probably been encased in a bezel or some other form of jewellery.
    It would be classed as damage.

• That makes sense, maybe an attempt to repurpose the penny into jewelry, securing the penny in place. Thanks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file