Home U.S. Coin Forum

Witter Brick Pre-release

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won some sort of early contest. Thought I'd share my winnings here.

Comments

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is that?

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

will cacg NOT make a lot of early sample slabs thus giving hope for collectibility?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    will cacg NOT make a lot of early sample slabs thus giving hope for collectibility?

Ill hold on to it for a while in the hopes it will have some interest in the future.

• mattnissmattniss Posts: 673 ✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

From what I have seen on social media, it seems there's maybe a dozen to fifteen of these pre-release sample slabs out there now. Looks like about half have been opened, half remain in the pre-release packaging. So I would say yes, there is hope for collectibility here already. I've been told by a trusted source at least one has traded hands for $200.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Ill hold on to it for a while in the hopes it will have some interest in the future.

There is a guy on IG that was paying big money to get some of these. Last that I recall, it was $200-$1k+ depending on if it was sealed or not sealed and the type of packaging.

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

eh

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2024 6:54AM

Looks like there were 100 of these issued.

91 "standard green labels", and 9 that were NOT "standard green labels" (e.g., "wild bear label").

Link: https://witterbrick.com/release/witterbrick-prerelease-samples

Edited for a typo.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins are actually pretty nice, but it seems like there’s not much upside potential. I think it will be a reasonable distribution where no one gets clobbered, but no one really comes out ahead.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that I bought my first CACG coin, I see the irony in Witter Brick partnering with CACG.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I posted mine being opened on IG. Sold it the next day for $250.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2024 12:52PM

@mattniss said:

@MsMorrisine said:

From what I have seen on social media, it seems there's maybe a dozen to fifteen of these pre-release sample slabs out there now. Looks like about half have been opened, half remain in the pre-release packaging. So I would say yes, there is hope for collectibility here already. I've been told by a trusted source at least one has traded hands for $200.

There should be several thousand of them out there, as they were given to every new member of CAC. It's certainly a different design with a large protecting "window" over the coin.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Does "Gem BU" mean anything?

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭

Chandler is in on the CACG gig, too.

Incentive to go back to collecting raw.

@Barberian said:

@mattniss said:

@MsMorrisine said:

There should be several thousand of them out there, as they were given to every new member of CAC. It's certainly a different design with a large protecting "window" over the coin.

I think you might be confusing the CACG Sample Slabs with the CACG WitterBrick Sample Slabs. With that said, at the time it didn't seem as if there were more than a dozen or so available; the total population appears to be around 25 - 30 at this moment. Several have traded in the $200 - $500 range, with the higher end being for sealed ones.

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RiveraFamilyCollect said:
    Does "Gem BU" mean anything?

Better than "Choice BU" but not as good as "Gem BU +" or "Gem BU ++".

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regarding the CACG Sample Slabs, the GC website MyCollect.com, which has a Registry which allows for coins graded by PCGS, NGC and CACG, they’ve designed a specific Registry “Showcase & Custom Set” for “2023 CACG Sample Set”, which requires one of each of 13 different CACG sample slabs!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

@mattniss said:

@Barberian said:

@mattniss said:

@MsMorrisine said:

I think you might be confusing the CACG Sample Slabs with the CACG WitterBrick Sample Slabs. With that said, at the time it didn't seem as if there were more than a dozen or so available; the total population appears to be around 25 - 30 at this moment. Several have traded in the $200 - $500 range, with the higher end being for sealed ones.

I have a CACG Sample slab, not a "Witter brick," whatever that is. Mine has a MS61 2006-D Jeff Nickel overgraded as "Choice BU"

@Barberian said:
    I have a CACG Sample slab, not a "Witter brick," whatever that is. Mine has a MS61 2006-D Jeff Nickel overgraded as "Choice BU"

Yes, there are a lot more of what you have than the WitterBrick CACG Sample Slabs (which all had ASE's in them), hence the premium for one vs. the other. Yours still has a premium to some collectors out there, I've seen them trade in the $30 - $60 range.

@winesteven said:
    Regarding the CACG Sample Slabs, the GC website MyCollect.com, which has a Registry which allows for coins graded by PCGS, NGC and CACG, they’ve designed a specific Registry “Showcase & Custom Set” for “2023 CACG Sample Set”, which requires one of each of 13 different CACG sample slabs!

Steve

To each his own. To me, mis-graded pocket change in sample slab registry sets is ridiculous.

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@winesteven said:

Steve

To each his own. To me, mis-graded pocket change in sample slab registry sets is ridiculous.

So you're saying this ISN'T Choice BU?

😉

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file