Home U.S. Coin Forum

IF this graded MS66, WHAT should this be graded? PS MS66 IS HANSEN

Jeremy72Jeremy72 Posts: 9
edited August 8, 2024 3:31AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

"IF this graded MS66, WHAT should this be graded?"

Your question could be phrased much more clearly.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• I am all for being corrected otherwise i will never learn, please help me rephrase the topic line for the better...

@Jeremy72 said:
    I am all for being corrected otherwise i will never learn, please help me rephrase the topic line for the better...

You wrote "this" and "this" in the same question. Specify what coin each "this" is. For example, something like "If the bottom coin pictured in the PCGS TrueView graded MS66, what should the top coin grade?"
    That said, you could have just as easily shown only the top coin and asked for grading opinions on it. Either way, for a fairer comparison, each set of images should be the same size.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2024 6:09AM

The top photos are far too blurry to grade from, but there's definite high point friction and possibly wear in the fields. AU55 or AU58 would be my guess, but it might make it into a 62 holder if the luster is good enough. But again, that's from some very fuzzy pictures.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is difficult to determine eye appeal and luster from photographs, which is needed to grade GEMs

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Top coin AU details- cleaned

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Jeremy72 said:
    I am all for being corrected otherwise i will never learn, please help me rephrase the topic line for the better...

You wrote "this" and "this" in the same question. Specify what coin each "this" is. For example, something like "If the bottom coin pictured in the PCGS TrueView graded MS66, what should the top coin grade?"
    That said, you could have just as easily shown only the top coin and asked for grading opinions on it. Either way, for a fairer comparison, each set of images should be the same size.

Or "Grade my CBH compared to Hansen's MS66" and then in the first post repeat the question and clearly indicate which coin is which. CBH is short for Capped Bust Half.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming your coin is the top coin, and only using these less than stellar photos, I would guess AU58 for your coin if the luster is there.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Based on the images provided for the top coin, I can't tell if it's AU, some uncirculated grade of up to 63 or an AU or Unc. details grade, due to cleaning. Other than that, I'm fairly confident.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure why you're showing a 66 for comparison. The top coin is nowhere near the quality of the 66. If you think it is, you either have the worst photos ever taken or "owner bias".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file