Home U.S. Coin Forum

1883 - CC Silver Dollar Question

Hello everyone,

I am new and trying to find information about the coin in the title above. I did try researching it through the Coinfacts app and asking on Reddit, google image search, google search, etc., but did not get any definitive answer. I got this as part of my grandad's collection, but he did not have things organized (most were just in bags of the plastic variety). As such, I am trying to get everything in order and properly labeled. I got a microscope to look at coins a bit closer before filing away, and this is where my question stems from. I noticed on the front that the first 8 is actually a bit fuzzy compared to the other numbers, and under the microscope it's easy to tell why. However, the back side of the coin is where things get even weirder. The coin, to the naked eye (as far as I can tell as a complete newbie) didn't seem to have a lot of tarnish, but under the microscope appears dark blue/navy all around the details except where it appears to be fading. Does anyone know if that means this is a variation to label or is it just some weird toning going on. It's just giving me pause, because while I've seen blue in toning before, it's almost always in much lighter streaks and accompanied by browns.

I figured people who have been doing this for years have a higher chance of coming across this and already knowing the answer. Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this! If you know somewhere else it is more appropriate to, please point me to it!

Comments

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a good coin, a GSA CC dollar. As far as those go though, it's common for a GSA CC. There's no added value for the things you mentioned above the GSA value.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

Your coin appears to be a genuine CC dollar in a GSA holder. :)
    Silver coins will tone over time and it's nothing to worry about.

• perfect, thank you!

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice looking Uncirculated GSA Carson City Silver Dollar. A common date as far as CC dollars are concerned but still worth $300 to $400. What else did granddad have?

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• He had a bunch, a few other Silver Dollars, several silver quarters, and dimes. Tons of old wheat pennies and heavily worn buffalo nickels. Also a bunch of foreign coins & bills that I haven't gotten around to yet from when he traveled all over the world for work.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @Hjane139 Members appreciate in focus, close pics of the whole coin, both sides. Our host, PCGS, has lots of reference links to learn from. There are also denomination specific links that shall be revealed in due course. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

GSA dollars, like yours, were discovered in the Mint Vaults, in bags of 1,000, and then put up for sale in 1972 ,after they encapsulated them in this plastic. You should also have a certificate that has an explanation with a number in the upper riight corner that starts with 83xxxxxx.
    Perhaps it's still in the box?
    Nice $350 coin.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like they outpaced inflation.

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2024 11:20AM

I have no experience with microscopes (other than 1000 years ago when I had science classes in school)....but I wonder if the blue you are seeing is from a light source skewing the view of the surface somehow. There probably is toning/tarnish but the naked eye would probably pick it up if it was obvious. At first glance, the coin appears to be a VAM-8A. Not 100% sure because there are areas of the coin that I cannot see clear enough. That doesn't matter at this point for any reason you need other than confirmation that it's genuine as @ifthevamzarockin has mentioned. Enjoy your research and your g-pa's collection! :)

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Hallco Haven't seen you posting in a while, good to see you. :)

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Hi @Hallco Haven't seen you posting in a while, good to see you. :)

You too my friend! I heard that you were mia for a spell as well!

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:

Is that based on the CPI? If so, the inflation is way understated.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:

That's about right because I got the 1883 CC and 1884 CC GSA for $200 a pop in 2020-21.
    Sent them in to our hosts and came back an MS 62 and MS 63 respectively.

• thank you all for the information and welcome!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file