Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Inexperienced Type Collector Seeks HELP

Greetings worthy type collectors and board members. I myself collect Morgans, but after continuous reading of the registry boards, I have been cought in the hype of the type and wish to attempt a set. However, I do not appear to be sharpest tool in the shed and am rather puzzled by the weighting system. Could somebody please lend their knowledge and help with a few problems as I can not find the answers I seek in the past topics. The questions pertain to the 20th Century Type Set with Type Variations - Circulation Strikes and Proofs (1900-1999). Please click link at bottom to see the weighting system in question.

How is it that a bronze Lincoln Cent (1959-1982) will get a two point bonus for DeepCameo but a zinc Lincoln Cent (1983-1999) will not?

For the Merc collectors, does a Proof Merc have Full Bands? I see the system degrades the Merc by two points if it is not Full Bands but awards a two point bonus for DC.

For the Franklin collectors, does a Proof Franklin have the Full Bell Line? There is a two point reduction if it is not Full Bell Line and a two point bonus for DC.

The same question applies to Jefferson Nickels. Does a proof Jefferson have the Full Steps?

Why do the post silver coinage (1965-1999) not receive a two point bonus for being DC? After looking through several of the sets, I notice several pieces that are DC.

I thank all that respond or point me in the correct direction.

weighting system
I belong to the worlds most elite athletic club. It cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars just to get in and initiation was hell. On top of all that, monthly dues runs about $3000.

Comments

• Options
    keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    StormChaser,

Proofs after 1965 generally do not get the +2 DeepCam bonus because they are generally DeepCam -- finding them without is the exception.

On coins with designators (FS, FBL, FB, etc.), those designators only apply to MS coins. So if you have a PR68DC Mercury Dime, you don't have a -2 subtraction for no FB.

Keith ™