Home U.S. Coin Forum

My Tombstone AZ Antique Mall "Find"

PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 5, 2024 9:54AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Wife and I were in southern AZ looking at land to buy in preparation for our retirement in a few years. Stayed in Tombstone a couple of nights and on our way out, we stopped at the antique mall. After looking through tons of glassware and well, a lot of just crap, we were on our way out the door when this book caught my eye. It was behind some other "stuff". There was an empty early large cent Dansco album. I thought to myself, there is no way it would be complete but I opened it up and sure enough, everything was there(except for proofs, 22 Plain, 55 DD). With no loupe or way to really look at the 09-svdb, I couldn't confirm if it was legit or not. I purchased it assuming that and the 14-D might be counterfeit. I had to confirm that $45 price tag that was on it and sure enough....that's what it was. Even if those weren't good, there's way more value than that in the book. While I'm not a Lincoln collector, I couldn't pass on this deal.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice and with the old dansco, wtg

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2024 11:04AM

Great find! :)

Where are the close-up photos of the S VDB & 14 D? ;)

Edited to add: Don't really need close-ups I should have said full coin photos.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we assume that you checked the key-dates to verify their authenticity?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup - congrats!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2024 11:45AM

Lol, I haven't got great close up pics of them yet. But I'll give ya what I got. I think the v.d.b. on the reverse is questionable but I believe the 14-D to be good. I'll try toget a better pic of the 14- D

• fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finds like this is why we continue to look!

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    The S VDB appears genuine, it appears there is a die chip in the S and position looks like #2, the VDB appears correct.
    You would also want to double check the N in United for a shallow N. ;)

The 14 D also appears genuine, the 1's are the same height and the spacing of the numbers appears correct.
    The mint mark is the right shape & design and appears to match up with one of the known positions.

Full coin photos could help a bit. ;)

Looks like 2 winners to me. :)

I'll try to do that later tonight. We got home late last night due to flight delays and had to get up for work this morning at 6am. That's not great when I'm still on Arizona time but live in Illinois.

Those were the best I could get in the crappy hotel light.

Yeah, the N appears to be shallow to me. It is in the pic above. I thought the obverse looked good but wasn't positive on the v.d.b., maybe it had been added.

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find! Well worth the trip cost and the time spent in the antique store!!

----- kj
  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Yeah, the N appears to be shallow to me. It is in the pic above.

I don't see it.
    It's the N of United not Cents. ;)

@ifthevamzarockin said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Yeah, the N appears to be shallow to me. It is in the pic above.

I don't see it.
    It's the N of United not Cents. ;)

Crap... you are right. I know I looked at the right N but guess I took a pic of the wrong one!

@tincup said:
    I do find it hard to believe the antique dealer/seller was that clueless..... .....but your good luck!

Yeah, I thought the same. Obviously a bunch of different sellers in there. There's even one that had a case in the back with a bunch of overpriced mercs, walkers and silver eagles.
    It was just by chance that I saw it on the shelf right by the front door. Heck, they had the empty Dansco large cent album priced at $15. There was a Lincoln memorial book I think going up to the 80's but in my excitement I didn't even bother looking at that one.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find Congrats!! As a lifelong Arizonan I cannot see why anyone would want to retire in southern AZ, northern AZ in the cool pines that's the place to be. ;)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Heirs probably dumped it as fast as they could ... to your benefit!

All glory is fleeting.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

GREAT find👍👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great buy regardless of the authenticity of the two keys. Well done.

@coinbuf said:
    Great find Congrats!! As a lifelong Arizonan I cannot see why anyone would want to retire in southern AZ, northern AZ in the cool pines that's the place to be. ;)

Well, as a lifelong Illinoisian...if that's what we are called, we are done with cold and snow. While there may still be a small amount of snow down in Sierra Vista area where we are looking, it is much less than the amounts that fall in northern AZ. We considered Flagstaff and over in the St. Johns area but with the amount of snow they get.... we were out.
    The weather is about perfect for us at elevations of 3500-4500 ft. My sister and husband live in Marana northwest of Tuscon and I about died walking outside in the middle of the day.

We also want some land since I'm getting old and hate people more and more. Not having neighbors too close by is a must, lol.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

Paul McCartney has a spread by Tucson. Of course A/C expense is no problem for him.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice original coins, there must be a story behind the collector lost to history. Probably over $500 in value?

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@coinbuf said:

Well, as a lifelong Illinoisian...if that's what we are called, we are done with cold and snow. While there may still be a small amount of snow down in Sierra Vista area where we are looking, it is much less than the amounts that fall in northern AZ. We considered Flagstaff and over in the St. Johns area but with the amount of snow they get.... we were out.
    The weather is about perfect for us at elevations of 3500-4500 ft. My sister and husband live in Marana northwest of Tuscon and I about died walking outside in the middle of the day.

We also want some land since I'm getting old and hate people more and more. Not having neighbors too close by is a must, lol.

True that Sierra Vista is not as hot as Tuscon or Phx, just be sure to brush up on your Spanish, you will need it down there. ;) And I'm with you on wanting to get away from crowds of people, but after nearly 40 years of Phx I'm ready for a cooler spot, 2 acres in Payson or Prescott are my landing spots.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great score from an antique store! I've only seen overpriced junk.

Vplite99
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great score for so many reasons! Congrats!

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great score! Those all look legit to me. B)

Thanks for the positive comments and opinions. I'm going to have the 09-svdb looked at in person this weekend just to be sure.
    While not a life changing find, it's nice to get a decent little score every now and again, With all the keys and semi-keys, it might end up covering the cost of our flights out there and back!

• AZDAVYAZDAVY Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Great unbelievable find in tombstone.
    All the coins I have seen there are over priced junk to sell to tourists as part of the old west vibe.
    @coinbuf @PROMETHIUS88
    Having lived in Prescott over 23 years I can say it was nicer and prices for real estate were reasonable. Now very over priced and crowded. Living in southern Arizona for almost a decade the 4000’ elevation areas one can get land , houses and no crowds typically 10 degrees lower temperatures than Tucson!

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find! Y’all come over to Silver City, NM and hang out with me at 6000ft. A little more snow, but not much since we’re still desert. If we string together three 90 degree days people act like it’s unbearable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file