Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Heritage Auction Tomorrow 8/5/24-Update-Thanks Roman!

TunisTunis Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 6, 2024 8:59PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Got my eye on several needs/wants. Good luck to everyone else, unless you are bidding on my coins!!!
Edited to change from cards to coins, lol. Autocorrect just absolutely kills me sometimes.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you got what you were after, Paul. I picked-up the 2 I wanted, but not after a bit of back and forth on the second piece.

• TunisTunis Posts: 445 ✭✭✭✭

I missed 1 that I wanted , got 1 that I really wanted, and got a 2nd one, that I kind of liked for the price. All in all, happy I got 1 of 2. The 3rd will plug a hole in my date set for a while.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

edited August 6, 2024 6:28PM

I saw a few pieces that I thought had your name written all over them. Which ones did you end up with?

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

I saw a few pieces that I thought had your name written all over them. Which ones did you end up with?

@TwoKopeiki did you see any pieces that had my name on them? ;)

@pruebas said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Not in THAT sale ;) Although I wonder if the Maximilian medal caught your eye.

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2024 7:14AM

@TwoKopeiki said:

@pruebas said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Very cool piece of history sure caught my eye (no did not bid). Sold for 720$ all-in:

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

@pruebas said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Very cool piece of history sure caught my eye (no did not bid). Sold for 720$ all-in:

That’s not a Maximilian medal. It’s a Napoleon III medal.

Here is the Maximilian medal (which looks to have been certified in Paris due to the full slab TrueView).

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pruebas:

You are correct my mistake.

edited August 6, 2024 9:38AM

@pruebas said:

@PillarDollarCollector said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

@pruebas said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

That’s not a Maximilian medal. It’s a Napoleon III medal.

Here is the Maximilian medal (which looks to have been certified in Paris due to the full slab TrueView).

That's the one. I thought it was a neat connection to the Maximillian coinage as the engraver was Cayetano Ocampo. Something I thought you might appreciate, as well :)

edited August 6, 2024 5:33PM

I was looking at the 1792 AU58. Went for higher than I expected. Picked up the 1800 AU58. Really wanted this one. Also picked up the 1811 AU55, the one with the crappy Tru View. Pretty sure it will look much better in hand.

edited August 6, 2024 6:39PM

@Tunis said:
    I was looking at the 1792 AU58. Went for higher than I expected. Picked up the 1800 AU58. Really wanted this one. Also picked up the 1811 AU55, the one with the crappy Tru View. Pretty sure it will look much better in hand.

I'm glad you picked up the "1800" and I'll tell you why. If you take a closer look, you'll notice that the assayer initials are TH, which rules out the date being before 1803. To my eyes, that last digit looks more like a 6, making it an 1806-TH.

Now, the really neat part about that coin is that it's an unpublished variety. If you look closely at the denomination, you'll notice a notch at the bottom of the 8. The die sinker appears to have punched the digit upside-down the first time and had to fill it back with metal and re-punch it the correct way. So, when you send it in to fix the label, you should pay for the variety attribution and see if PCGS gives you the "8 over inverted 8 in 8R".

Roman, you are amazing!!!!! I liked it the toning and the die cracks on the obverse. I must learn the nuances of the Portrait series. And to completely miss the assayer initials, just shows how much I need to learn.
    I was looking at the 1792 because I like that the “F” was repunched in the assayer initials.
    Thank you very much for your knowledge.

Anytime! Always lots to learn in this series.

• ELuisELuis Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

What extra value or premium adds this variety?
    Is it common?
    Is only found on the Carolus IIII.
    And this is only on the 8R with the T.H. engraver's.

Here is one on a 1804 8R:

Thanks.

Nice example. Can you post full images of the obverse and reverse? I'll save it for my records. This seemed to happen with some frequency, as I have documented it across a few Spanish Colonial mints and for Mexico City, specifically, with all 3 rulers. Apparently as a die sinker your punches could get turned around. I've seen this with a few digits, as well. Most common being digits 1 and 8, although i do have a 1795 where the 5 looks like it was first punched-in upside-down.

All except for one Potosi die I've documented had the error fixed before the dies went into production.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tunis said:
    Roman, you are amazing!!!!! I liked it the toning and the die cracks on the obverse. I must learn the nuances of the Portrait series. And to completely miss the assayer initials, just shows how much I need to learn.
    I was looking at the 1792 because I like that the “F” was repunched in the assayer initials.
    Thank you very much for your knowledge.

He has amazing knowledge !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

@bidask said:

He has amazing knowledge !

Thanks Dan. Just a few things i picked-up along the way.