Home U.S. Coin Forum

Market Acceptable? A Discussion on Toning

CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at this 1977-S proof half dollar. I realize that it has the “ring of death”, but disregard that for a moment and look at the toning. Do you think that it would slab if it did not have the ring of death? Why or why not.

(P.S. Don’t get too worried, I wouldn’t ever have this slabbed, I just want some discussion here :) )

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

Comments

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it would straight grade.

Many happy BST transactions
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure what "ring of death" is referring to. The toning looks a bit terminal and would probably come back in an 'environmental damaged' slab.

peacockcoins

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    I am not sure what "ring of death" is referring to. The toning looks a bit terminal and would probably come back in an 'environmental damaged' slab.

Rolling machine damage. It is on the end of the roll. Disregard the damage.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• Old_CollectorOld_Collector Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

Interesting, I've not come across rolls of proof coins other than in plastic containers, never seen them just paper rolled. Is it a whole roll of them or is that just one on the end? Thanks.

• It's too dark if you ask me. Even without the ring, I don't think it would straight grade.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2024 8:18PM

Market Acceptable lol are you kidding (for junk box - yes) - I consider it unattractive / pass. Even if you got that toning off I think it would probably be dullish. Maybe some toner buff would take it.

Don’t see it above anything but a 2x2 holder - It’s a junk box coin - The grading cost would eatup any MV. Not looking be submitter if MV increase does not exceed the grading expense.

Throw it back into the roll?

I would dip it to get the crud off, put in 2x2 with my other junk box coins for shows. Price it at 55c?

Coins & Currency
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PickinndGrinnin said:
    It's too dark if you ask me. Even without the ring, I don't think it would straight grade.

Welcome to the forum.

“Too dark” on its own, isn’t typically a reason a coin will receive a details grade. If, however, the toning has etched into the coin’s surface, that’s a different matter.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• @MFeld said:

@PickinndGrinnin said:
    It's too dark if you ask me. Even without the ring, I don't think it would straight grade.

Welcome to the forum.

“Too dark” on its own, isn’t typically a reason a coin will receive a details grade. If, however, the toning has etched into the coin’s surface, that’s a different matter.

I do agree, maybe I should have added that Terminal black toning has already etched the surfaces.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could see a TPG calling it environmental damage. I would lean towards that opinion too.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Just looks like unattractive, natural toning that would come back certified without problem.

+1

• TypekatTypekat Posts: 338 ✭✭✭✭

:
    it’s a circ clad proof

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand the question but I really do not understand the need or reason to submit the coins that are the subject of this thread. I suspect one could argue that one could buy a slabbed example for less than the cost associated with grading. So stick these in a Kennedy album of our choice in an effort to assemble a set.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@Typekat said:
    :
    it’s a circ clad proof

@coinkat said:
    I understand the question but I really do not understand the need or reason to submit the coins that are the subject of this thread. I suspect one could argue that one could buy a slabbed example for less than the cost associated with grading. So stick these in a Kennedy album of our choice in an effort to assemble a set.

The two kats have spoken, ending all debate.

I suppose that even if @copykat were to chime in, that wouldn’t change anything, anyway.
    So I didn’t even bother to look to see if there is such a forum member.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@braddick

Comical… great reply. Should have selected Koolkat 22 years ago instead but that may have been taken.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:
    Look at this 1977-S proof half dollar. I realize that it has the “ring of death”, but disregard that for a moment and look at the toning. Do you think that it would slab if it did not have the ring of death? Why or why not.

(P.S. Don’t get too worried, I wouldn’t ever have this slabbed, I just want some discussion here :) )

Of course it would slab. It looks to me as the roll was improperly stored, however.A bright dip might do wonders for this piece.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• I would remove the coin from it's doom and give it a distilled water saok.
    Then a neutral environment. Dipping that coin ? You might as well make it a pocket piece.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@Typekat said:
    :
    it’s a circ clad proof

@coinkat said:

3rd Cat. Did Kennedy get shot in the cheek/jaw?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

@coinkat said:

I would never submit this. This is for discussion purposes only. And quite the discussion I have gotten.

@PickinndGrinnin said:
    I would remove the coin from it's doom and give it a distilled water saok.
    Then a neutral environment. Dipping that coin ? You might as well make it a pocket piece.

You are from Cointalk, correct? I recall your name from the coinstar thread over there.

• @CRHer700 Yep, that's me, I am here trying to kill some time while CT gets back up and running.
    Hopefully I make a few new friends here.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t forget that HepKat @LucyBop

@MFeld said:

@braddick said:

@Typekat said:
    :
    it’s a circ clad proof

@coinkat said:

I suppose that even if @copykat were to chime in, that wouldn’t change anything, anyway.
    So I didn’t even bother to look to see if there is such a forum member.😉

Many happy BST transactions

ScatKat would have been good

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

More like fatcat!

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has left me CATatonic.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Cat’ esh!

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

You forgot @catscratchfever but I see little discussion of toning in this thread 🤔😉

Mr_Spud

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2024 10:42PM

Do not forget Miss Kitty from Gunsmoke

or Garfield

or this Bond Girl (played by Honor Blackman) from Goldfinger

:)

I hate to participate in the cats, but here's mine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file