Home U.S. Coin Forum

Photos and/or Descriptions of the JR Die Marriages of this 1830 Capped Bust Dime - Medium 10C???

winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 3, 2024 2:03AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just added this 1830 Capped Bust Dime (Medium 10C Variety) to my collection. I see in the PCGS Price Guide there are five different Die Marriages shown for this “Medium 10C” variety - JR-1, JR-3, JR-6, JR-7, and JR-8. I’ve done some research, but cannot find photos or descriptions pointing out the differences of these different die marriages. Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Best Answer

• CoinbertCoinbert Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

Hi Steve,
    If you pm me your phone or email I will send photos out of book later today.
    Joey

Answers

Hi Steve, I recommend the book "Bust Dime Variety Identification Guide" by Winston Zack, Louis Scuderi and Michael Sherrill. It is a very good book for varieties. Joey

• EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinbert said:
    Hi Steve, I recommend the book "Bust Dime Variety Identification Guide" by Winston Zack, Louis Scuderi and Michael Sherrill. It is a very good book for varieties. Joey

Hi Winesteven - if you wish to get one of these books and you will be at ANA then please find me as I have extra copies.

Easton Collection
  • winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2024 4:54AM

@EastonCollection said:

Hi Winesteven - if you wish to get one of these books and you will be at ANA then please find me as I have extra copies.

Hi, I won’t be at ANA, but I’ll pm you.

I searched for this book on eBay, Amazon, Brooklyn Gallery, and Wizard Coin Supply to no avail. I found it on the Newman Numismatic Portal, but couldn’t figure out how to see all of the pages other than the cover and a few “sample” pages. I’m an ANA member, but to borrow a book, there are several hoops to jump through. David Kahn used to sell it, but is out of stock.

Thanks.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Joey - That’ll be great. Just the pages for the 1830 Medium 10C.

Thanks so very much.

Steve

• TrickleChargeTrickleCharge Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

I am by no means an expert in the series, but the die crack on the head would seem to suggest it's JR-3? Maybe someone who knows more about the series can chime in.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1830-10c-jr-3-medium/38842

My guess is JR-3.

Hi Steve, I took photos with my cam scanner app. They are much clearer than the phone photos. Cannot send to the forum. ( Or I don't know how to) Contact me. Joey

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2024 10:32AM

Steve -
    @Bikergeek will likely know….
    Or, @yosclimber is also a good source!
    Ken

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

@Bikergeek said:
    Ken, thanks for the tag. I'm a half dime nut but I'm slowly gravitating to the dimes (PLEASE hold me back!!!!) and I have the Bust Dime VIG mentioned above. The obverse is #1 (which has the 0 of the date halfway under the curl as opposed to "completely below" or "barely below" on the other two obverses for that year). Conclusively, it also has the interesting die crack from star 7 across the cap, which turns into "a rare internal cud."

There are 3 reverses paired with Obverse 1. Rev AS is "small 10c" and that rules this out. The authors call the others, AT and AV, "Tall 10c," although as you see above PCGS uses the word "Medium" for the denomination. JR-1 uses AT and the scroll E PLURIBUS UNUM has to end below the right leg of the M in AMERICA. Yours doesn't.

JR-3 uses reverse AV, and it's "Tall 10c, scroll ends under center of M" and that confirms what the other folks said above.

Now Steve, I wanted this to be a JR-1 for you since it's "the toughest 1830 marriage and it is very scarce." So I peeped the JR-1 Coinfacts images closely - since the scroll ending can be a little ambiguous. JR-1's scroll (rev AT) is to the right of JR-3's (rev AV) in all regards: scroll begins under the D, the second S in STATES relates very differently to the second U in PLURIBUS, etc., so it rules out the tougher JR-1. But still a nice coin in all regards, and the die crack across the cap from S7 is awesome.

Thanks for the great detailed explanation. So the conclusion is my dime is a JR-3 with a really nice die crack across the cap from star 7?

Steve

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven Well, yeah, if you wanna be all "concise" about it. :smiley:

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

Yes, I know, and that’s what I’m afraid of 😀.

Steve

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2024 3:14PM

JR-3 - key marker is the base of A above the base of the second T in STATES. R3. Otherwise, what BG said.............

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/

@spacehayduke said:
    JR-3 - key marker is the base of A above the base of the second T in STATES. R3. Otherwise, what BG said.............

Thanks.

Even though I now know mine is a JR-3, I’m buying the book from @EastonCollection , as I’ll need it for my other Bust Dimes.

But as I’ve learned from both @Bikergeek and @spacehayduke , more talent and knowledge is needed in addition to just looking at photos.

Thanks guys!!!!

Steve

• EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2024 5:32PM

So here is the scope - We put together this VIG so we all JRCS members and others can get more educated on the different die marriages for Early Dimes. Further, we wanted us Dime collectors to find a new die marriage. To date, I haven't found one but I am looking. Please keep you fingers crossed.
    Also our guide won the NLG specialized book of the year. So the key coin folks the book to be great as well.

Easton Collection
  • UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. You are building a great set!

@UltraHighRelief said:
    Nice coin. You are building a great set!

David - Thanks! And thanks for YOUR help with my set, and the help of your dad with getting me that book!

Steve

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin Steve. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barry Sunshine is my benefactor on the dime book as well!

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

A helpful resource for if you don't have the book is A Collection of Capped Bust Dimes by Die Marriage
    I used this to cherrypick a dateless 1814 dime from an eBay listing that called it an 1827.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file