Home U.S. Coin Forum

Question for Liberty Seated Dime experts 1891 O

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

I checked Gerry Fortins site couldn’t find this one. Looks like lots of clash and overstruck mintmark . What could this be?

Comments

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe clashes are part of a die state, rather than die variety, which is why you might not see it listed.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2024 10:43AM

@hummingbird_coins said:
    I believe clashes are part of a die state, rather than die variety, which is why you might not see it listed.

Gerry includes clashes in his listed die varieties - 102a, 103a, ... 132a.
    https://www.seateddimevarieties.com/date_mintmark/1891ovarpage.htm

The clashing on this coin looks a lot like F-128.
    But many clash patterns are similar, and I did not check the date or mint mark position.

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks guys, The notch on the mintmark is what confounds me. It is reminiscent of a O/S type but none exists for this year in seated dimes. Any thoughts on what could have caused this?

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2024 9:29AM

@Coin Finder said:
    Thanks guys, The notch on the mintmark is what confounds me. It is reminiscent of a O/S type but none exists for this year in seated dimes. Any thoughts on what could have caused this?

If it truly is an over-mintmark, then it would have to be either an O or an S, as there were no other mintmark punches used on dimes in the time period of 1879 to 1905. Thus it would have to be an S because of the “straight” serif type die mark.

However I am led to believe that it might be a result of the clashing, and is probably a clash mark from Liberty’s head.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks I learned a lot. It could be heavy clash from the head. It oriented right. I will look for other examples.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coin Finder said:

Not an 'O' over 'S.' The notch could be an indication of the die starting to break or crack.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2024 7:29PM

I have a couple of 91o’s they all have various clashes, cuds or heavy die breaks except for my UNC.

Always considered the issues interesting after the pause since 1860 right before the war but they weren’t well made as they were still figuring out small coins
    Here is the UNC in an OGH

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the spur on the mint mark is the result of a scrape that pushed metal into that position.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file