Home U.S. Coin Forum

CoinTalk.com?

Russell12Russell12 Posts: 225 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 8, 2024 8:41AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Not sure if this is appropriate here . . . . . . CoinTalk.com has been down for a few days, anybody know whats going on?

Comments

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2024 5:48AM

An unexpected database error? ;)

I'm a little concerned but the owner's other site(s?) is up and running so unless he pulled the plug I expect it back. It would certainly be a loss to the hobby if it does not.

Tempus fugit.
  • Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried signing up but keep getting an "unexpected error".
    This has happened mote than once to me.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo SurfinxHI greencopper RWW bigjpst

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure the site will be fixed. This had to be something major to be out for so long. I would bet it's a server issue. They may be waiting on a piece of equipment.
    Thank you ToughCOINS and robec for the update.

Larry

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldhair said:
    I'm sure the site will be fixed. This had to be something major to be out for so long. I would bet it's a server issue. They may be waiting on a piece of equipment.
    Thank you ToughCOINS and robec for the update.

That would be my guess too. We have seen outages before but this one is longer than the previous ones that I recall over the years.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

An unexpected database error has occurred.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2024 1:36PM

In our currency forum: cointalk thread
    This thread likely won't last long.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having just dealt with an outage on VAMWorld, I sympathize with the admins when something like this happens. You usually have no warning that something is about to ruin your evening or weekend, and that could just be the time to investigate the problem before knowing what to do to get it back up. It's times like this when we need to remember that most admins are doing this work on their own time (Our Hosts excepted), and that discussion threads used to take place in letters to the editor of a periodical, where it took weeks, if not months, to see the first reaction to what you wrote, and that's only if the editor (paleolithic "mods") thought it was worth publishing.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2024 8:41PM

Hope CT site gets fixed. Nice folks over there. No griefers - Seems troll, keyboard warrior free (bet he kicks them, yea) - refreshing.

Coins & Currency

That won't be cheap but maybe it's time. I remember when they had to replace the server, last time. That was many years ago. I hope the data transfer goes well. It has to be a massive amount of data.

Larry

• bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to their return, thanks for the update.

• Hopefully, it'll be back soon ... I miss it and am a supporter. Suggest when it comes back, folks who have posts there (their own or someone else's) that they want permanently should download the posts. And back up your computer files! One of the "dangers" of a forum owned by one person is that it can disappear forever at anytime. These are often really good though ... my favorite coin and electronics forums have single person owners. Forums run by big companies, like this one, are safer but could disappear due to cost-cutting, bankruptcy, merger, etc. Safest are probably ones run by NPOs like ANA.

Cal (calcol on cointalk)

norcalgold in California
  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

@norcalgold said:
    Hopefully, it'll be back soon ... I miss it and am a supporter. Suggest when it comes back, folks who have posts there (their own or someone else's) that they want permanently should download the posts. And back up your computer files! One of the "dangers" of a forum owned by one person is that it can disappear forever at anytime. These are often really good though ... my favorite coin and electronics forums have single person owners. Forums run by big companies, like this one, are safer but could disappear due to cost-cutting, bankruptcy, merger, etc. Safest are probably ones run by NPOs like ANA.

Cal (calcol on cointalk)

Some threads can be found using the wayback machine (internet archive). I tested it out and was able to see a page but with no images.

https://web.archive.org/

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bikergeek said:
    I posted a snarky meme on a thread there that I thought was frickin' hilarious, and after a few days nobody reacted to it or "liked" it. I emailed a CoinTalk buddy of mine to complain about it and when he saw it, he hit "like" on my meme (which warmed my heart). And then the next time I checked, the site was down.

Coincidence? Causation? Hard to say...

• numistnumist Posts: 6 ✭✭

Just found this also. Glad to know CT will be coming back. I never realized how much time I spent there until I couldn't. Lots of names I recognize here and on a few other forums and am looking forward to seeing new members all around as well.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a member (supporter) on CT as well. I enjoy both forums. Thanks to the moderators for allowing this thread to stay up in the interest of the numismatic community. (Hope my thread on fake Trade Dollars doesn't vanish!)

All is good. I think it's cool that some members from CT joined us here for a while and had fun.

Larry

• numistnumist Posts: 6 ✭✭

....and it's down again. I guess too many people ran over there at the same time to yell 'yay!'

• PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't logged onto CT in probably 5-6 years actually forgot all about it this is a good reminder to check back with it. I liked the forum but let one member there drive me away and that's a bit silly looking back.

A bottle of mustard must have gotten spilled all over the new server and now we're back to square one.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's back up as of 10:30 am US/Central, probably an inrush load problem.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

I was told they got a roll of paper towels, wiped the mustard off the server, and it started operating again. :)

It's always handy to have a roll of paper towels nearby.

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why I use ketchup and hot sauce, no mustard...

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

@Bikergeek said:
    This is why I use ketchup and hot sauce, no mustard...

Oh, a server in TURBO mode...

Which Hot Sauce? I've grown partial to the Green Tabasco.

-----Burton
  • BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 This is my latest fave... tasty, with a bit of a kick!

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

Secret? As in I could tell you what it tastes like, but then I'd have to kill you?

I usually keep a bottle of Frank's or one of the Siracha variants for seasoning - a few drops in a balsamic glaze for roasting vegetables. I can't taste it, but I notice when it's missing.

And then something to put on steamed veg (wife likes lemon so we steam them plain). Which rotates, when she does the shopping, if I put "green chili sauce" on the list, I get something different - the last one was Green Choula which might be better than Green Tabasco.

I'll keep an eye out for the Aardvark.

-----Burton
This discussion has been closed.