Home U.S. Coin Forum

Morgan Dollar, would this qualify as rim damage? Detail?

Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 31, 2024 1:10PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Would this damage make this Morgan ungradable? Thanks for your input.

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not

• PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

I had one come back details "rim damage" that is barely seen from the front. However, the damage (a slit) crossed over to each side. I'm not sure how yours would be treated.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think, and hope, not.

• maymay Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Low grade coins (especially heavy ones) are expected to have some small rim bumps.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. -formerly Ownerofawheatiehorde. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON, Gerard

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see to much that would prevent it from grading, jmo

Note: a full Pic would help w/reverse 🙂

• jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 416 ✭✭✭✭

FWIW, this 89 CC that I sent in came back with a "rim damage" details label.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rim damage, at 4:00, appears to be severe enough to get a details, genuine grade. The damage goes beyond the rim and into the dentils.
    bob :)
    PS: nice coin for sure even with the rim problem.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • FrankHFrankH Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    The rim damage, at 4:00, appears to be severe enough to get a details, genuine grade. The damage goes beyond the rim and into the dentils.

@AUandAG said:

Key dates seem to attract closer scrutiny. While I too like that coin, simply the word, "DETAIL" would remove it from my consideration.
    Fair and sensible? No, but that's the way it is.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

its still a very decent coin, i like. best wishes on the admission if gone that way

• coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if the TPG's make a differentiation between a rim ding/gauge and a rim bump that effects the circular look of the coin, and whether the coin gets a clean vs details grade. Although we haven't seen the OP coin in full view, looks like it does not have the same rim effect as the 89CC. Also agree the key dates will get a closer scrutiny.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file