Home U.S. Coin Forum

Cherrypicker's Guide "Whitman Publishing" Buyer Beware! (Problem Solved!)

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 1, 2024 5:09AM in U.S. Coin Forum

It's not a show stopper and it's not the worst but I feel dumb and it gets under my skin! I preordered this back in May for $49.30, it was shipped yesterday and today I see it selling on eBay (FROM THE WHITMAN PUBLISHING COMPANY) for $39.95?!?!?! Whether it helps or not, I'll be jumping on someones desk at Whitman! Buyer beware!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think if you’re an ANA member you also get a 10% discount.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2024 6:43AM

Sounds like you got it at list/sticker price whereas the actual retail selling price is less.

I'd definitely send them the proverbial strongly worded letter and see what happens.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    I think if you’re an ANA member you also get a 10% discount.

Correct. Link

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2024 7:06AM

The 6th edition has been nothing but a pricing mess. The volume 1 books were selliing for over $300 because the refused to make any, but now they decide to make more.....after like a year.
    Here's a link to my thread on the subject.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

I'd definitely send them the proverbial strongly worded letter and see what happens.

Done.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

greysheet is selling it for $34.95 to subscribers - not sure of shipping costs.

• NewEnglandNotesNewEnglandNotes Posts: 278 ✭✭✭

Brooklyn Gallery has them listed for $27.97, out of stock. I assume when they get the shipment in they price will stay the same, but check to be certain.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope to pick one up next week at the ANA.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

tuition paid. i hope you get it all fixed :)

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to rub salt in the wounds, yet this one is $31.79 (free shipping)...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/314825606175

peacockcoins

@braddick said:
    Not to rub salt in the wounds, yet this one is $31.79 (free shipping)...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/314825606175

Not Volume II, Volume III.

I think you're right @Colonialcoin

• SpikeInPhillySpikeInPhilly Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

My orders via Amazon for both Volume I (Sixth Edition second print) and Volume III (Sixth Edition), scheduled for release this month, have been delayed with no rescheduled release information. Anyone have these in hand yet?

Collecting: Cents, Dansco 7070, Half Dollars, 1947, 1976, random pieces I like
    My PCGS Registry

@harlan said:
    My orders via Amazon for both Volume I (Sixth Edition second print) and Volume III (Sixth Edition), scheduled for release this month, have been delayed with no rescheduled release information. Anyone have these in hand yet?

Volume III (Sixth Edition) is in the mail to me right now and due to arrive 3 Aug.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are 3-4 tiers with pricing items because there are 3-4 levels of income out there. The first is always the highest and caters to those who have plenty of money and don't bat an eye at paying. These same folks don't bother with coupons, look for sales nor shop at Aldi's. lol Each tier has a lower price and is directed to people with lower income because when one tier gets exhausted in sales, the price comes down to sell the product.
    For sure, businesses use the tactic, buying early may mean obtaining the item for less. But that's where the twist comes in as not every business follows that same tactic. You may need to go back and reread the sales pitch to get a better understanding,

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate the positive response and ordered my vol. 3 just now. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 653 ✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    I think you're right @Colonialcoin

I was just kidding around with you.

Seriously though, a book like that should pay itself off many times over for you to the point that the difference in the cost of the book will be long forgotten.

Good luck!

@JohnF - Thanks again John! Case closed.

• JohnFJohnF Posts: 288 ✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    @JohnF - Thanks again John! Case closed.

Cheers! I'm thrilled we could work this out easily. We have a wonderful team. Thanks again, John

John Feigenbaum
    Whitman Brands: President/CEO (www.greysheet.com; www.whitman.com)
    PNG: Executive Director (www.pngdealers.org)
  • CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:
    The 6th edition has been nothing but a pricing mess. The volume 1 books were selliing for over $300 because the refused to make any, but now they decide to make more.....after like a year.
    Here's a link to my thread on the subject.

My order vol. 1 got delayed to September! 😭😭😭

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JohnF said:
    @OAKSTAR Sorry to hear about this fiasco. Whitman is relatively new to eBay and this was an error on our end. I have asked customer service to reach out to you to make it right! And anyone else who overpaid for the pre-order, we will fix it and we apologize for the confusion. Lots more great books coming so we want everyone to be excited in the best way possible! John

John and his team are a 100% class act. They have also improved the quality of every publication they have touched.

• JohnFJohnF Posts: 288 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@JohnF said:
    @OAKSTAR Sorry to hear about this fiasco. Whitman is relatively new to eBay and this was an error on our end. I have asked customer service to reach out to you to make it right! And anyone else who overpaid for the pre-order, we will fix it and we apologize for the confusion. Lots more great books coming so we want everyone to be excited in the best way possible! John

John and his team are a 100% class act. They have also improved the quality of every publication they have touched.

Wow. Thank you so much for saying so. We have an amazing team and we bring of best every single day, and we literally live for numismatics.
    John

John Feigenbaum
    Whitman Brands: President/CEO (www.greysheet.com; www.whitman.com)
    PNG: Executive Director (www.pngdealers.org)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file