Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ebay listing showing up on weird random site

gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 30, 2024 3:58PM in U.S. Coin Forum

So I googled my ebay username and this weird random site showed up with a current listing. Anyone have a clue on what this might be? Seems scammy. Has my item showing it's discounted.

Comments

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Era where the thieves have made the internet virtually unusable.

Been percolating for two decades, now it is over the top. Really no fix, just mitigation attempts.

• Old_CollectorOld_Collector Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

Every time I make a large purchase paid with wire transfer from a big auction house, I get a scam phone text message about an address problem and could I enter all my data into the obviously scam link. Not sure how they get the information so fast but no thanks, no Nigerian prince 2.0 Internet scams for me.

Be careful out there on the wild west Internet.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

how much does eBay give 'affiliates' that link items that are purchased?

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

This looks like one of those websites that sells no items of its own, but makes revenue through items compiled from any other sites they can find. These sites might also pay them for attracting more views on a click-by-click basis, which would be why they say your item is discounted, even though it isn't.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know the .ru extension is for websites in Russia. I'd steer clear of any .ru sites.

With that said, yes, some searches will return Ebay items from sites that exist just to direct traffic for profit and do not sell items themselves.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file