Home U.S. Coin Forum

ANA WFOM - Bust Quarter Collectors Society meeting details 8/7/2024

BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 357 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Bust Quarter Collectors Society will meet on August 7, 2024, at 2pm CDT in Convention Room 3. This meeting didn’t make it into ANA World’s Fair of Money catalog “Schedule of Events,” so please make a note of the time and place! The BQCS will discuss the recent sale of a unique bust quarter and explore the E's and L's (famous counterstamped bust quarters). Anyone who has an "E" or "L" is invited to bring them for the discussion.

If you have questions, please PM me (Sean Kelly – AKA Bikergeek) and I’ll relay them to the chairman, Dr. Glenn Peterson.

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

Tagged:

Comments

• EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for this information. I plan on attending. Thank you very much. Good topics for discussions.

Easton Collection
  • GoBustGoBust Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great see you there!

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds great, I’ll do my best to make it.

• 1Bustcollector1Bustcollector Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Please make a video if possible, I’ll be glad to buy it.

Persuing choice countermarked coinage on 2 reales.

Enjoyed numismatic conversations with Eric P. Newman, Dave Akers, Jules Reiver, David Davis, Russ Logan, John McCloskey, Kirk Gorman, W. David Perkins...
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry I won't be able to make it to ANA this year. I always attended the BQCS meeting when at ANA, and it was always informative and enjoyable.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Bustcollector I don't know if video will be possible this time around but I'll share the suggestion with some folks and see what can be arranged!

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• GoBustGoBust Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear we won't see you Rich. Hope to see you at winter FUN.

@1Bustcollector I wanted to close the loop on this: there was no video at the meeting at ANA this time around, and had there been, it would have been tricky. The meeting was fairly conversational, and a highlight of it was the viewing in-hand of the unique die marriage coin and four Es and Ls.

I enjoyed the meeting. I don’t often get to go to them and it was fun to put some faces to names and compare notes with other collectors.

The talk was on E and L counterstamped quarters. While these are interesting to view and speculate on, I don’t think there was any new info presented. Because these stamps are almost certainly post-mint damage by some private party in the early or mid 1800s, it would have been nice to spend more time on some other aspects of this fascinating series as well. For instance:

1. At Jim Matthew’s table we spent some time listing the cuds and retained cuds in the series. How many are there??
    2. Why are bust quarter remarriages so overlooked compared to other bust series? Should they be treated as separate die varieties or just as an interesting die state?
    3. Bust quarter mint errors are awesome and rare. How many types are there?
    4. Perhaps some members could showcase a date set since it’s a short series, and discuss their collecting philosophy?
    5. How do relative rarity ratings change if only VF+ coins are considered?

Just some ideas. I’d love to hear thoughts from other people that attended.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Missed the meeting but woulda liked to compare mine to others:

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • marmacmarmac Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭

@scubafuel - thanks for an overview of meeting. Maybe next year I will be able to attend.

And I really like all your various topic ideas-

@spacehayduke here are the four E's and L's we looked at in the meeting. Note the sequential cert numbers. Their owner bought them as a matched set years ago for what now would seem a bargain price.

They were the nicest E and L quarters I’d ever seen. It was a treat to see them in hand along with the 1822 B3 NGC AG3. There was some talk about cracking it to examine it, weigh it etc. before sending it to pcgs.

I think the most fun was getting to meet Glenn, Steve, Sean, Chuck and others at the meeting and then (some of them) over drinks later on.

Coin collecting can be isolating and seeing other people’s enthusiasm for what they collect in person is contagious.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file