Home U.S. Coin Forum

Capped Bust Half Dime - Attribution Challenge!

BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone want to take a crack at identifying the LM (Logan-McCloskey) die marriage on this beauty? (She's on the 'Bay right now if you have to own it.) @jesbroken, I believe you have a new book.

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

Comments

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure why that posted twice lol

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cladiator said:
    Not sure why that posted twice lol

Here's what most likely happened: You clicked the post comment button, the comment did not show up after a normal amount of time, you clicked it again thinking it didn't register the first time, but it did, and now it registered for the second time posting a second comment

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

The die crack through the 6 should make it fairly simple, but my LM book is 850 miles away from me right now....

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber, my LM book is seldom more than about 8 feet from me. :-)

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

Here's one with the obverse die crack... but that isn't the one that @Cladiator said it was... so the crack narrows the list but doesn't perfectly answer the question. https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1836-h10c-lm-1-2/38723

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was able to narrow it down to LM-2 within 5 minutes using the Attribute My Half Dime feature.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure looks like an lm-2 to me too

edited July 29, 2024 10:36PM

I like that bisecting obv die crack - cool photos there.
    And right, it only identifies the obverse die.

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2024 12:13AM

@yosclimber said:
    I like that bisecting obv die crack - cool photos there.
    And right, it only identifies the obverse die.

OBV 1
    which is common for the LM-1.1, LM-1.2 & LM-2

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rats, I missed this last evening! Yes, I agree with the LM-2 as the LM-1.2 has a different reverse die. Thanks for posting. Love using my book. Those die cracks are very interesting. Thanks for sharing @Bikergeek and yes thanks to @Cladiator I do have my fantastic new book.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Here is an 1836 Capped Bust Half Dime to attribute.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

You guys all nailed my challenge - LM-2. (Next one will be tougher!)

@jesbroken Jim, your small 5 coin is an LM-5. You're going to be seeing a lot of them, so you can be picky with acquisition/upgrade choices. Its reverse HH uses S2S-6 (right of E in STATES over left of S in PLURIBUS) and it's the only '36 small 5c that does.

Now, when I see a small 5c with S2S-2 (right of E over the right of S) it's either LM-2 or LM-4. Obverse crack makes it LM-2 (as everyone in this thread already knew!) and LM-2 is a tuffie to find nice in higher grades, so get'em when you see'em! LM-4 is in the middle of LM-2 and LM-5, as far as availability.

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bikergeek:
    Sean - great informative thread! You’re like an encyclopedia (especially with your LM book so close by). Thanks for all the info!
    Ken

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

For those just starting out searching for the attributable Capped Bust Half Dimes, I made this chart up with excel for quicker search for the harder to find LM#'s that, of course, have a higher rarity. It contains columns with the Dates, LM#'s, rarity#'s and explanation to top R# with photos. You need Excel to open it, this is just a photo of the file and cannot be opened. If interested, message me and I'll send you the Excel File. You also can add more or less to the file as you learn and want different requirements. Hope it helps.
    Jim

edited July 30, 2024 3:53PM

@jesbroken said:
    For those just starting out searching for the attributable Capped Bust Half Dimes, I made this chart up with excel for quicker search for the harder to find LM#'s that, of course, have a higher rarity. It contains columns with the Dates, LM#'s, rarity#'s and explanation to top R# with photos. You need Excel to open it, this is just a photo of the file and cannot be opened. If interested, message me and I'll send you the Excel File. You also can add more or less to the file as you learn and want different requirements. Hope it helps.
    Jim

This is definitely a helpful exercise when trying to find the rarer capped bust varieties on ebay.

I did pretty much exactly the same thing when I was trying to cherrypick them on ebay, 20 years ago.
    Mostly what I remember at this point is that 1834 has no rare ones, so I would not even look at those on ebay.

Later I made a color scheme for rarity using gray, green, yellow and red, to make the rare ones easier to spot.

It is essentially a way to sort the LM info by rarity, which is one of the few things they did not do in their amazing book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file