Home U.S. Coin Forum

An interesting price comparison between PCGS and NGC and CACG Sample Slabs

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

These three auctions closed tonight.
Each auction featured the 2024 P & D Kennedy halves within Sample Slabs.
(I am not sure what the mintage is between each service.)

Here were the results:
The PCGS pair closed at $122.00

the NGC pair closed at $255.00

The CACG pair closed at $960.00

I found it intriguing the price difference between the Services for these Sample Slabs.

PCGS auction:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/186570636953

NGC auction:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/186570645799

CACG auction:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/186570694118

peacockcoins

Comments

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 668 ✭✭✭✭

That would make CACG valedictorian.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS holder said genuine, NGC holder said sample, and CAC holder said sample and choice BU. Perhaps that’s why and the CAC holder with label is the most attractive IMHO.

• CoinbertCoinbert Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

The CACG Witter U samples have very low mintages or amounts produced. For 2023 quarters P 27 and D 37. The 2024 halves P 55 D 51. Is there a way to find out how many Witter samples were made at PCGS and NGC?

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nearly a grand, for two coins essentially worth FV……

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Nearly a grand, for two coins essentially worth FV……

Insane…🤪

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

To dispense with any pretense, we should all agree that this has nothing to do with the coins. I don't even think it has anything to do with the "sample" aspect of these encapsulations. It seems it's all about the insert because it says Witter U on it. That makes the thing collectible and I figure the PCGS label set the base price. The NGC slab was more because collectors seem to love the black plastic and @PerryHall nailed the last, exorbitant price.

@Braddick, were you the winner of any of them//

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    To dispense with any pretense, we should all agree that this has nothing to do with the coins. I don't even think it has anything to do with the "sample" aspect of these encapsulations. It seems it's all about the insert because it says Witter U on it. That makes the thing collectible and I figure the PCGS label set the base price. The NGC slab was more because collectors seem to love the black plastic and @PerryHall nailed the last, exorbitant price.

@Braddick, were you the winner of any of them//

If these purchases were essentially “donations”, to support the Witter U program, then more power to ‘em. But I took this as the samples were being sold/auctioned on the secondary market, with the best plastic generating a crazy price.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2024 6:19AM

I'll take my PCGS coins at a discount any day over the other 2

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears the bidder who won the PCGS and NGC sets is the same buyer.

Interestingly, the "bidder" who won the CACG set- with 92 feedbacks- also shares 100% of all his bids/wins
    with this seller.

peacockcoins

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

Interestingly, the "bidder" who won the CACG set- with 92 feedbacks- also shares 100% of all his bids/wins
    with this seller.

Here is the post from the guy I mentioned. He is doing a set of every CACG sample and has paid up for several in the past.

• Old_CollectorOld_Collector Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

Even CAC stickers seem strong right now, HA has a 1931-S Lincoln MS65RD PCGS with CAC sticker on tap for tonight that is already at 1200 including BP (current CAC price list 910 for the moment). Once it got to $950, my budget altered my direction and I got a very nice chocolate MS65BN 31-S from GC for $363 incl BP. Now I can get rid of my average PCGS 65RB.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2024 1:01PM

@LeeBone said:
    I'll take my PCGS coins at a discount any day over the other 2

Wouldn't it be more if a compliment if you would take them at a premium?

😉

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

with this seller.

And yet he is a legitimate bidder despite the skepticism...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file