Home U.S. Coin Forum

@crazyhounddog needs our prayers...another catastrophic fire in his city

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe,
I hope and pray you are ok and safe from yet another devastating fire where you live. Please let us know your condition relative to the fire and know that we are supporting you 100%. Best of luck.
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw this on the news... wasn't he in Paradise CA a few years ago? Hope all is ok...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope all is okay. :)

He logged in last night around this time and didn't say anything about a fire.

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog - hoping you are well. Once is too much for anyone. <3

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

From CBS News:

As of Thursday evening, Cal Fire reported that the fire had burned more than 124,000 acres -- about twice the size of Sacramento. Containment stands at 3%.

3% is not much, c'mon guys save the rest, please.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2024 6:55PM

Stay safe my friend, thinking good things
    Please let us know how you are

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    From CBS News:

As of Thursday evening, Cal Fire reported that the fire had burned more than 124,000 acres -- about twice the size of Sacramento. Containment stands at 3%.

Jim

I also heard on the news that they aressted someone, he set his car on fire and pushed it down the hillside setting the fire.

@jesbroken said:
    From CBS News:

Jim

What town?

Joe no longer lives in Paradise, he moved further north.

According to SFGATE(?) the fire is being driven by a southerly wind forcing it northward which should push it away from Chico, but that is not confirmed. Let's hope.
    Jim

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2024 7:36PM

@jesbroken said:
    @ifthevamzarockin
    His new home, Chico, Ca. The park north of town was set on fire by a nut, who has been captured. He set a car on fire in the park and pushed it down the mountain setting everything in its path ofire and then casually walked out of the park, but was id'd. He is a 2 time convicted felon so the 3 strikes your out rule will be in effect. Which means very little at this time.
    Jim

Looked up the two priors. Dude should not have been on the streets.

I agree, but not something I would risk speaking of on this forum.
    Jim

Here is a photo from Joe's son's house in Paradise, man its close.
    Jim

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Omg that’s terrible….

Stay strong and stay safe brotha!

BHNC #248 … 130 and counting.

@jesbroken Thanks for the update! ;)

Glad he & his family are safely evacuated, that is the most important thing.
    I hope he got enough notice to pack up his coins and other personal items this time.

Just hoping he gets his son's family out of Paradise. Unreal that this is happening again. Yes I also hope he is able to save his herd and all other items he treasures, but life so much more important.
    Jim

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

🙏
    <3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

The present fire is huge as I saw footage shot twelve miles from Paradise and it looked like the photo posted above. Much of Paradise itself may be OK as there isn't much left to burn but the surrounding areas are burning even faster than the Paradise fire a few years ago.

Let's hope for a change in weather as that seems to be the biggest help in putting these things out. When conditions get extreme, even the firemen aren't able to help much. They just need to get out of the way and strike back when they can.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • psuman08psuman08 Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

Be safe Joe. Thanks for the update.

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 894 ✭✭✭✭✭

My prayers are with Joe and his family for safety and safekeeping, as well as all that are affected by this fire. God's blessings to you all.

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck to Joe and his family. We will all be thinking about them

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭✭

Prayers for sure.......

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2024 10:16AM

I still recall the photos of block after block of homes burned to the ground with only things like fireproof safes standing above the ash. :'(

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

thinking of you @crazyhounddog

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, man, hope Joe and family stay safe!

• coinshopcoinshop Posts: 93 ✭✭

I consider Joe a good friend and an amazing collector. Please pray they are ok and property is always secondary to a human life

I just put it together from scratch. California Coins
    Vintage site: JayCoinShop.com (Both same stuff just different flavors?) #numismaticmetals
    Make some stupid offers now. https://collectorscorner.com/dealer/default.aspx?dealerId=1045&pt=1

@crazyhounddog Glad you are okay! :)

Hope you are driving your Corvette. ;)

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to hear you are well thus far.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear from you... hope all is well!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess I was a little low. Park Fire exploded to 307,000 acres. Now 0% contained. It has jumped all containment lines.

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear this Joe, once was enough.
    I pray that you and your family fare well.

Thanks, Joe, for taking the time to let us know how you are doing. I can only imagine the pressure and worry you are under. Take care, my friend, may God Bless your family and protect them all.
    Jim

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to hear you are safe and your family too :)

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

So very happy to hear this.

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ran across an interesting and disturbing perspective of the fire from the air also including useful map and satellite info around 3 to 5 minute mark. Shows how big it is and how fast it moved.

Watching a Wildfire Big Enough To Make Its Own Weather - Park Fire, 2024, California

• posted by Scott Manley 7-28-2024

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WET6EY0z_aU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WET6EY0z_aU

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WinLoseWin said:
    Ran across an interesting and disturbing perspective of the fire from the air also including useful map and satellite info around 3 to 5 minute mark. Shows how big it is and how fast it moved.

Watching a Wildfire Big Enough To Make Its Own Weather - Park Fire, 2024, California

• posted by Scott Manley 7-28-2024

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WET6EY0z_aU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WET6EY0z_aU

Excellent and very informative video. This fire is a monster in every way.
    Thank you for sharing.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to hear you are ok. I'm betting you didn't want to do another FUN giveaway of scorched coins.

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

So glad to hear you are out of harms way. Like you, I pray for those that are in the path.

Rain baby rain... let's go!

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe.

I am glad to hear you and your family are out of the path of the fire (for now). Best wishes to you all moving forward. Stay safe.

Kevin

• AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    I saw this on the news... wasn't he in Paradise CA a few years ago? Hope all is ok...

My witch of a mother-in-law lost everything in the Paradise fires. They had bought a home there and intended to move but they decided to push it back a week or two. Then the fires struck. As far as I know, insurance still hasn't paid.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2024 10:58PM

My favorite website for tracking forest fires is:
    https://inciweb.wildfire.gov/

You can zoom in on the US map with your mouse's scroll wheel.
    If you get close enough, it will show the fire area in red.
    The Park Fire is just north of Chico, CA.

You can also click in the "fire" icon and then on "Go to Incident" to see many details for a particular fire.
    For the Park Fire, this brings you to:
    https://inciweb.wildfire.gov/incident-information/calnf-park-fire
    If you scroll down a bit, there is a multicolor map on the right which shows fire progress by date.

Back in the 1970s, I spent 3 summers working on forest fire suppression crews,
    So I know that when a fire is driven by wind or is going uphill, there is not much you can do to stop it.

• @yosclimber said:
    My favorite website for tracking forest fires is:
    https://inciweb.wildfire.gov/

You can zoom in on the US map with your mouse's scroll wheel.
    If you get close enough, it will show the fire area in red.
    The Park Fire is just north of Chico, CA.

You can also click in the "fire" icon and then on "Go to Incident" to see many details for a particular fire.
    For the Park Fire, this brings you to:
    https://inciweb.wildfire.gov/incident-information/calnf-park-fire
    If you scroll down a bit, there is a multicolor map on the right which shows fire progress by date.

Back in the 1970s, I spent 3 summers working on forest fire suppression crews,
    So I know that when a fire is driven by wind or is going uphill, there is not much you can do to stop it.

Thank you @yosclimber this is very useful

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to see pyrocumulus cloud formation during controlled burns in Everglades National Park. The rising heat and moisture created its own fire extinguisher.

3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file