Home U.S. Coin Forum

New to coin hunting, error wheat penny here??

Hello, could use some help making decisions here. Does this minting error on the reverse give this 1957-D penny enough substance to send it in for grading? I have thousands of wheat pennies I inherited and just purchased a digital microscope for my computer to start going over them for errors and rare mints. This was just one that stood out. Any help or info is appreciated!

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2024 4:27AM

99.99% of coin oddities are just circulation or environmental damage. If you're serious about this hobby, you should start by looking at the thousands of images of real errors available on auction sites. Otherwise, you're going to be fooled 99.99% of the time by damage. Valuable, collectible errors fall into a few SPECIFIC types.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's ProbablyWorthless.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    It's ProbablyWorthless.

It is worth at least one cent.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    It's ProbablyWorthless.

Its worth at least 3 cents because its a wheat cent made of mostly copper.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:

@CRHer700 said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    It's ProbablyWorthless.

Agree.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

@gumby1234 said:

@CRHer700 said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    It's ProbablyWorthless.

He said "at least"...

edited July 25, 2024 6:07AM

Don't feel badly. I got the joke

• Yes , probably worth 3 cents . Agree with the tape scenario . Newbie here in the same situation ,inherited collection etc. I knew the depth of knowledge my brethren possessed requires diligence to a high degree. Much respect to those endeavors and all that partake. Perfection is to be put on high ,no doubt . Errors have their place and it’s another ,”to each their own” . I had hoped to delay my research into errors and concentrate on learning to get a grasp on grading . First I studied the proof sets for inventory . Stacks of Dansco and Whitman volumes assembled from ripped out Mylar blisters from duplicates sets made that a priority . Now, I decided to investigate the circulated tubes to develope muscle memory in handling raw coins correctly. (Learned that as a child when opportunity presented .) Boxes of B.U. Rolls await inspection. Sorting by date , mint mark ,and condition is daunting task not to be taken lightly. Distinguishing the intricacies of cause and effect of manufacture or environmental damage … wow . Turns out environmental damage is most obviously the easiest of the two. (As long as it’s not done to deceive.) The errors in manufacture vast range is instructive to knowledge base as to authentication . Double die vs machine doubling both are mint errors imho. If it’s not nearly perfect it’s a quality error. It’s the desirability of the effect of the beholders eye that still determines its value. Even the decision not to melt $10 million coins in 1955 came down to dollars and sense ( or cents , pun intended) . DD’s give me temporary double vision effect . Machine doubling while interesting is less dramatic. Value shows the monetary winners and losers . ANYWAY. Sadly , I found this 1953 coin VF 40 ? maybe from circulation. That’s without the impression of something bulging from Lincoln’s forehead deforming the crest of his hairline off his forehead not unlike Dagwood. Environmental or mint error ???

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pack up the microscope and return it or put it in the closet for a few years. Errors, that have value, are almost always visible with the naked eye. Generally a hand held loupe is all that is necessary. Magnification is usually only needed to confirm a real error from a fake error by using other "tells" that confirm the real error.
    I've managed to collect coins, and errors, with only the need of a hand held loupe. I don't own a microscope. Today, most cell phones, can magnify to any degree that is necessary beyond that of a loupe.
    As mentioned get a Red Book. Almost all valuable errors are listed and usually with good pics.
    Welcome, and good luck.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Junkntrunks said:
    Yes , probably worth 3 cents . Agree with the tape scenario . Newbie here in the same situation ,inherited collection etc. I knew the depth of knowledge my brethren possessed requires diligence to a high degree. Much respect to those endeavors and all that partake. Perfection is to be put on high ,no doubt . Errors have their place and it’s another ,”to each their own” . I had hoped to delay my research into errors and concentrate on learning to get a grasp on grading . First I studied the proof sets for inventory . Stacks of Dansco and Whitman volumes assembled from ripped out Mylar blisters from duplicates sets made that a priority . Now, I decided to investigate the circulated tubes to develope muscle memory in handling raw coins correctly. (Learned that as a child when opportunity presented .) Boxes of B.U. Rolls await inspection. Sorting by date , mint mark ,and condition is daunting task not to be taken lightly. Distinguishing the intricacies of cause and effect of manufacture or environmental damage … wow . Turns out environmental damage is most obviously the easiest of the two. (As long as it’s not done to deceive.) The errors in manufacture vast range is instructive to knowledge base as to authentication . Double die vs machine doubling both are mint errors imho. If it’s not nearly perfect it’s a quality error. It’s the desirability of the effect of the beholders eye that still determines its value. Even the decision not to melt $10 million coins in 1955 came down to dollars and sense ( or cents , pun intended) . DD’s give me temporary double vision effect . Machine doubling while interesting is less dramatic. Value shows the monetary winners and losers . ANYWAY. Sadly , I found this 1953 coin VF 40 ? maybe from circulation. That’s without the impression of something bulging from Lincoln’s forehead deforming the crest of his hairline off his forehead not unlike Dagwood. Environmental or mint error ???

This reads like AI-generated text.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

@TomB said:

@Junkntrunks said:
    Yes , probably worth 3 cents . Agree with the tape scenario . Newbie here in the same situation ,inherited collection etc. I knew the depth of knowledge my brethren possessed requires diligence to a high degree. Much respect to those endeavors and all that partake. Perfection is to be put on high ,no doubt . Errors have their place and it’s another ,”to each their own” . I had hoped to delay my research into errors and concentrate on learning to get a grasp on grading . First I studied the proof sets for inventory . Stacks of Dansco and Whitman volumes assembled from ripped out Mylar blisters from duplicates sets made that a priority . Now, I decided to investigate the circulated tubes to develope muscle memory in handling raw coins correctly. (Learned that as a child when opportunity presented .) Boxes of B.U. Rolls await inspection. Sorting by date , mint mark ,and condition is daunting task not to be taken lightly. Distinguishing the intricacies of cause and effect of manufacture or environmental damage … wow . Turns out environmental damage is most obviously the easiest of the two. (As long as it’s not done to deceive.) The errors in manufacture vast range is instructive to knowledge base as to authentication . Double die vs machine doubling both are mint errors imho. If it’s not nearly perfect it’s a quality error. It’s the desirability of the effect of the beholders eye that still determines its value. Even the decision not to melt $10 million coins in 1955 came down to dollars and sense ( or cents , pun intended) . DD’s give me temporary double vision effect . Machine doubling while interesting is less dramatic. Value shows the monetary winners and losers . ANYWAY. Sadly , I found this 1953 coin VF 40 ? maybe from circulation. That’s without the impression of something bulging from Lincoln’s forehead deforming the crest of his hairline off his forehead not unlike Dagwood. Environmental or mint error ???

My first thought was Emerald prose. But yeah, AI works too.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@TomB said:

@Junkntrunks said:

My first thought was Emerald prose. But yeah, AI works too.

potAAAto.
    potaaato.

peacockcoins

• Critic of writing style not objective analysis of the subject reflects poorly on these quaility of these replies. That suggests a lack of humility and general knowledge. Consider yourself a troll not serious person.

• Critic of writing style not objective analysis of the subject reflects poorly on these quaility of these replies. That suggests a lack of humility and general knowledge. Consider yourself a troll not serious person.

@Junkntrunks said:
    Critic of writing style not objective analysis of the subject reflects poorly on these quaility of these replies. That suggests a lack of humility and general knowledge. Consider yourself a troll not serious person.

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be interested in hearing what happened to that 1953 cent. It looks like a lamination error, but I could be convinced it was just a hard hit with a sharp object. Whatever it is, it looks like the Borg. Here's one now:

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a well-known and fairly common die crack – also called a “cracked skull“

Interesting and a good example of the mining process, but has very minimal value imo

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
    edited July 29, 2024 7:10PM

@Junkntrunks said:
    Critic of writing style not objective analysis of the subject reflects poorly on these quaility of these replies. That suggests a lack of humility and general knowledge. Consider yourself a troll not serious person.

@Junkntrunks said:

It might suggest a lack of humility. It doesn't really say anything about their knowledge.

Personally, I knew it wasn't AI. The AI uses paragraph breaks. 🤣

Welcome to the forum!

• @FredWeinberg said:
    It’s a well-known and fairly common die crack – also called a “cracked skull“

Interesting and a good example of the mining process, but has very minimal value imo

Thank you so very much . “Cracked skull” indeed ! Funny because my grandkids named it helmet head .

• Reverse

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file