Home U.S. Coin Forum

Fake 1882 $20 gold coin?

Hello, would like your help, is this a fake? Does it have any value?

Comments

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, it looks counterfeit.

Value would be dependent upon the applicable gold content.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a counterfeit to me. ;)

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2024 10:05AM

Looks fake to me. The two date looks funny(the two especially), and the S mintmark looks really funny, but the real kicker is the fact that the coin has a very high amount of luster remaining for having that much wear. Should be diminished. The reeding as well seems to be flat. The weight is lower than that of a regular coin, so all signs point to fake for me.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a counterfeit

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely counterfeit. Since the 1960's, most counterfeit US gold coins were made with gold that meets the US Mint standards for weight and fineness. The profit came from their numismatic premium which was higher than it is now. I imagine a few counterfeiters cheated a little on the gold content but they knew the weight, diameter and fineness would be checked by whoever received them. It wouldn't surprise me if this coin contains at least $2000 in gold content but it's still essentially only scrap gold.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surfaces look granular and rough. Stars and portrait appear mushy and lack definition. Mint mark looks wrong. Fake.

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know virtually nothing about gold (except for G$1). These responses are valuable to me & much appreciated!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bogus 👎, jmo

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd look for a dealer who has a machine that can identify how much gold content in it and make an offer.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does appear to be counterfeit.
    But it also looks like it could still have the full gold content (close to a troy oz net pure gold).
    Further tests would be required to verify that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file